Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game

Started by Mr. Domino, Oct 09, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Author
Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game (Read 75,966 times)

Machiko Naguchi

I thought all of the alien player cards looked like fun to play with as well but I have never actually gotten a chance because we always kill the facehuggers right away. I think only one time did someone actually get a chestburster, but we removed it somehow before it was drawn.

And the alien cards look like they would just make the game brutal for the normal players. The game is hard enough without some of those ridiculous abilities being played! :o

Corporal Hicks

The Alien deck in this, despite looking like a tacked on after-thought, is f**king relentless. Just absolutely brutal.

Kailem

Kailem

I really like the idea of 'switching sides' and playing as the Alien, though yeah I imagine it probably doesn't happen very often, as most of the time you'd want to kill the facehuggers as soon as possible.

Also, the final expansion preview is up, and oh man, I guess they didn't think "quadruple strikes" for the Queen would make things difficult enough; they're adding a "Hard Mode"! :laugh: - http://upperdeckblog.com/2016/12/legendary-encounters-alien-expansion-preview-hard-mode/

PRJ_since1990

This expansion just got HARDER! These cards are insane and I can't wait to give it a go!

Machiko Naguchi

I agree the new stuff looks like it will be fun. I absolutely love the new drone and strike that they showed and the hard mode stuff will give interesting options for each scenario. Definitely looks like it will be harder!

Kailem

So, has anyone picked this up yet? I've seen online that it's making its way into people's hands now. With just over a week to go until I can get my hands on the regular Aliens and Predator games I was hoping there might be some videos of the expansion to help tide me over until then, but there seems to be nothing so far.

Corporal Hicks

I'm heading to FLGS tomorrow so will see if they have it in.

Kailem

Corporal Hicks

No such luck. Doesn't look like it's made it across the pond yet.

Machiko Naguchi

I got mine about a week ago from a special order at a local gaming store. I have only had time to open it and briefly look at a few cards and the new playmat. The queen playmat and cards look badass, but I am not sure how often I will be able to have enough people to play as the queen. I will post more when I have a chance to go through the rest of the cards and/or play it.

PRJ_since1990

Hopefully will receive as a Christmas gift. Eventually will do video reviews of all the games. Again, one of the best things to come out the franchise in a while, both Alien and Predator. These games are very well done.

Corporal Hicks

Look forward to seeing it.

I don't think I'm going to see this over here until after the New Year now.

Machiko Naguchi

Well I finally had a chance to go through all of the cards in the new expansion and play a few games. I played both of the new scenarios and they seem pretty fun. Just like before they are pretty tough and we lost both times, but I really like both of the ideas for "storylines" even though they are not based on any movies. They both seem like very Weyland-Yutani type of things.

There are a lot of new options with hard mode cards, new drones, soldier aliens and obviously the queen mother mode. In my experience we never needed the game to be harder, but it's nice that they have the options in there for people that do. The new characters for each movie seem pretty good; some have some newer things and some are just fairly basic. Again it just gives more options for what you want to use and adds more thematic elements.

There are a few new strikes as well. Watch out for the "Slow Gestation" one because it can be difficult to avoid if you have less players. My wife drew that fairly early and we couldn't avoid it and she died pretty fast. I was worried she would never play again because she doesn't like games that well in the first place, but luckily she took my suggestion of using the Alien Player deck and gleefully destroyed me.

As for Queen Mode, it looks pretty interesting after looking through the cards. And the Queen playmat is pretty bad ass as well. She has some interesting abilities and the game play should make it more similar to a regular player as opposed to the alien deck that you just kind of blindly play. Hopefully I will get to try it out sometime, but it will probably make the game much more difficult for the players and I already have a hard time getting people to play very often.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Machiko Naguchi on Jan 05, 2017, 03:58:13 PM
Well I finally had a chance to go through all of the cards in the new expansion and play a few games. I played both of the new scenarios and they seem pretty fun. Just like before they are pretty tough and we lost both times, but I really like both of the ideas for "storylines" even though they are not based on any movies. They both seem like very Weyland-Yutani type of things.

There are a lot of new options with hard mode cards, new drones, soldier aliens and obviously the queen mother mode. In my experience we never needed the game to be harder, but it's nice that they have the options in there for people that do. The new characters for each movie seem pretty good; some have some newer things and some are just fairly basic. Again it just gives more options for what you want to use and adds more thematic elements.

There are a few new strikes as well. Watch out for the "Slow Gestation" one because it can be difficult to avoid if you have less players. My wife drew that fairly early and we couldn't avoid it and she died pretty fast. I was worried she would never play again because she doesn't like games that well in the first place, but luckily she took my suggestion of using the Alien Player deck and gleefully destroyed me.

As for Queen Mode, it looks pretty interesting after looking through the cards. And the Queen playmat is pretty bad ass as well. She has some interesting abilities and the game play should make it more similar to a regular player as opposed to the alien deck that you just kind of blindly play. Hopefully I will get to try it out sometime, but it will probably make the game much more difficult for the players and I already have a hard time getting people to play very often.
Overall sounds like you had a great time with it. I haven't picked my copy up but my wife and I play now and then (it's admittedly been a while) but I had the pleasure of getting destroyed by her with the Alien deck as well. What I really am excited about is all the new options, even if like you said, some are cool and some are basic.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. We vote for what we like with our wallets. If we want to see more expansions, we better go out and get our own copies ASAP. 

Kailem

Kailem

I finally got both the base Alien and Predator games for Christmas and have had several goes with them each since then, and I've really been enjoying them.

I've only won a couple of two-player/two-avatar games, but none with three players yet. It definitely gets tougher the more players you add, as people had said. It's also funny how the "obvious" mistakes you spot while watching videos of other people playing suddenly become easy to make when you're playing it yourself, like forgetting about cards with a specific thing you're supposed to do on your turn. :P One time a player escaped getting a face hugger on him because we forgot that revealing an event triggers the eggs, but so many cards had been played by that point that we decided to just let it slide. :P

From what I've played so far the Alien cards (at least for the first movie) feel a bit more powerful than the Predator ones, but there also feels like there's a big difficulty spike later on compared to Predator, which feels a bit more of an even increase in its difficulty the further into it you get. The wording is definitely a bit more ambiguous on certain cards than necessary though, like one of the Predator cards talking about 'revealing a card from the Armory and being able to play a copy of it if it's a character', despite them all being equipment, not characters, when you're playing as the Predators (after looking around on the interwebs I found that referring to that stuff as "characters" is a holdover from the Marvel games, which seems a little pointless). But thankfully that doesn't seem to crop up too often.

It feels like the key to winning with more people isn't just coordinating, but also conferring with each other about which specific cards to buy. Most of the time we were just buying whichever cards we could afford that looked good, without really paying much attention to things like class icons or which cards other players had. I can certainly imagine smarter card gaining being a big part of how you're able to be victorious more often, since we would often get to the second or third objective and then get swamped by too much stuff entering the combat zone that we just couldn't deal with.

But yeah, they're both really, really fun. I'm looking forward to playing through the rest of the movies, since I've only done about half of them so far. And it's certainly given me a new appreciation for just how tough those new "hard mode" cards in the expansion are going to be, that's for sure!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed