Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 124,550 times)

BishopShouldGo

Too many repeat scenes In Alien 3. I remember oft thinking, "Didn't they just have this f**king discussion?"

Scorpio

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 05, 2016, 02:56:41 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 05, 2016, 08:54:23 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 05, 2016, 08:09:03 AM
Alien 3 and Resurrection have stuff that I enjoy but they are fundamentally flawed films,

A lot of people keep saying they are 'flawed' but I never understood what that was about.  Unless you're talking about the theatrical versions.  The extended versions fixed all the flaws for me.

The inexplicable egg, the prop continuity gaffes and the horrid puppetry effects are the only real flaws with Alien 3 as far as I'm concerned.  The rest of it really boils down to taste.  I found it to be terribly dull compared to its predecessors, but I also think it has some of the best acting and photography of the entire series.

I respect your opinion but show me any movie without continuity errors.  The puppetry effects were good for the time.  Mainly it was about movement but there were some great shots in there.

Local Trouble

I don't recall any glaring continuity errors in Aliens.

BishopShouldGo

Oh Alien 3 fans will find some! Gotta "level" the playing field.

Local Trouble

I guess the minor differences in the creature design might count, but Alien 3 is guilty of the same thing.

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 06, 2016, 12:09:43 AM
I don't recall any glaring continuity errors in Aliens.
Nor I.

Scorpio

Depends on what you mean by "glaring", I suppose.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 06, 2016, 12:18:31 AM

I don't see any playing fields.  I have nothing against Aliens but I don't hate Alien 3.

SpreadEagleBeagle

These threads are starting to turn into Groundhogs Day on crack. Just never-ending same old same old same...

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 06, 2016, 12:49:20 AM
Depends on what you mean by "glaring", I suppose.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 06, 2016, 12:18:31 AM

I don't see any playing fields.  I have nothing against Aliens but I don't hate Alien 3.

I don't hate Alien 3 either.  I do hate Alien Resurrection though.

Nostromo

Vermillion

Mr. Clemens

Yeah, we should all be taking the high road and doing what's important right now...

...kicking the crap out of Alien Resurrection!  :D

Local Trouble

Alien 3 catches a lot of shit, but I had high hopes for any sequels because it left the door wide open for a new arc that could have involved Weyland-Yutani, the USCM and even Bishop II, but without Sigourney Weaver.  Ripley's story was over.  We were liberated.

Alien Resurrection not only brought her back, it shat upon all the excellent worldbuilding done by the first three movies.  I actually think AvP and even AvP:R are less damaging to the franchise than AR was.  May it rot in movie hell.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 06, 2016, 08:33:33 PM
Alien Resurrection not only brought her back, it shat upon all the excellent worldbuilding done by the first three movies. 

I think that's the real disappointing aspect of Resurrection. This bit here.

I really did like the concept of Ripley 8 though. Shame the film didn't really get too deep into her.

Scorpio

There was no more "world building" to do.  The main series was done, finished with Alien 3. 

Alien Resurrection & AVP are spin-offs.

Ridley Scott's movies are prequels with new storylines, new characters, etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed