Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 70,487 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 20, 2023, 09:03:20 AMBlue's a good person, I may be biased.

You absolutely are

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 20, 2023, 12:27:34 PMIn regards to Bishop, being serious, I was actually aboard with the idea of bringing the character back. Of all the character revisits, he makes the most sense. He can be rebuilt after all, even if it's not top of the line.

Nah, I don't care if it makes logical sense - Bishop had a very definitive "death" in Alien 3. Bringing him back is nothing but once again exploiting fans' good will towards 1986 movie

Spoiler
IMHO
[close]

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Apr 20, 2023, 04:43:18 PMI forgot the part in the synopsis where it says that Michael Bishop no longer works for Weyland-Yutani as well, so the evil corporation part doesn't really apply. But more so the point of being forced back to life for nefarious purposes still works.

Well, that's because he works for Seegson now. Duuuh

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'm 50% on white.  I found Cold Forge a slog to get through.  Downright boring at times.  I was completely the opposite on Charybdis.  I will admit that a few twist in that one were made better with the knowledge of Cold Forge, but I just all around found Charybdis to be superior to both TCF and the New Era EU, with only the first half of the Tristian comic series making me feel the same way that I did watching the first three movies in even semi recent memory outside of Charybdis. 

Before that and you had to go back to mid run Dark Horse, or AVP2, or end run Bantam (that Berserker novelization) to get the same kind of feeling imo. 

Kradan

Kradan

TCF > IC

DavidIsDaddy

DavidIsDaddy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 19, 2023, 01:05:10 PMI was okay with this until I saw the Apone family connection.

This took my hype from a 10 to a hard 6.

They're doing the "Star Wars" thing and making every character some related cousin, brother, son, or daughter, to a Legacy character (specifically Aliens) and it's so jarring.

Like, you have this fantastic idea for a sequel novel following Alien 3 and STILL Find a way to work in Apone's brother and Lt. Goreman's neice and they all end up fighting Burke's evil nephew.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It's about family, and that's what's so powerful about it! >:(

judge death

judge death

Blue marsalis a good person? Depends but after reading cold forge she to me seem to do anything to save herself, wasting eggs on mass, having people do stuff for her for her own gain and little regard for their own lifes, issue with superiours, greeting superiours with sarcasm, accidents that happens to others due to her orders: barely cares.
So I wouldnt call her a good person but neutral evil :P
But it fits well into the story and the alien world where everyone is working to save their own skinn and throw the others under the bus.

AVP50

AVP50

Really hoping we get a new audio drama soon - like out of the Shadows, River of Pain, Sea of Sorrows & Alien III

SiL

SiL

Quote from: judge death link=msg= 2599878 date=1682030704But it fits well into the story and the alien world where everyone is working to save their own skinn and throw the others under the bus.
... maybe I haven't watched the movies, because the idea that Alien films are full of people being selfish and shitty seems to be weirdly popular? :-\

The crew of the Nostromo bicker, but only Ash is working against anyone. The marines whine about things, but only Burke is selfish - we see the marines go back to try to help each other multiple times. Even the prisoners who try to rape Ripley are outliers quickly put in their place.

Alien films are about people working together and are incredibly judgmental of shitty selfish individuals. Maybe that's why I didn't like TCF.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 20, 2023, 10:22:52 PMIt's about family, and that's what's so powerful about it! >:(

You sound like vin Diesel now

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: AVP50 on Apr 20, 2023, 11:05:16 PMReally hoping we get a new audio drama soon - like out of the Shadows, River of Pain, Sea of Sorrows & Alien III

This can never be said enough.

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 20, 2023, 05:03:26 PMNah, I don't care if it makes logical sense - Bishop had a very definitive "death" in Alien 3. Bringing him back is nothing but once again exploiting fans' good will towards 1986 movie

That's an entirely fair point. But Alien 3 also had that undertone of "life isn't fair". It certainly wasn't to Ripley. So I can forgive Bishop having that death taken away.

Quote from: judge death on Apr 20, 2023, 10:45:04 PMSo I wouldnt call her a good person but neutral evil :P

It all goes to that shades of grey that I love about the portrayal of characters in that book. What they're trying to achieve is incredible. It would benefit everyone. But they're doing it for their own well-being.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: SiL on Apr 21, 2023, 03:03:43 AM
Quote from: judge death link=msg= 2599878 date=1682030704But it fits well into the story and the alien world where everyone is working to save their own skinn and throw the others under the bus.
... maybe I haven't watched the movies, because the idea that Alien films are full of people being selfish and shitty seems to be weirdly popular? :-\

The crew of the Nostromo bicker, but only Ash is working against anyone. The marines whine about things, but only Burke is selfish - we see the marines go back to try to help each other multiple times. Even the prisoners who try to rape Ripley are outliers quickly put in their place.

Alien films are about people working together and are incredibly judgmental of shitty selfish individuals. Maybe that's why I didn't like TCF.

Huh. When I read Cold Forge, I liked it enough, but it also felt dry and.. kind of boring. This comment kind of made me realize a few things in that the Alien, despite being an overwhelming and terrifying force, also has that tendency to set aside the tension between characters and bring them together in a sense, even if some characters have more ulterior motives.

Retropocalypse

Retropocalypse

Quote from: DavidIsDaddy on Apr 20, 2023, 09:21:17 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 19, 2023, 01:05:10 PMI was okay with this until I saw the Apone family connection.

This took my hype from a 10 to a hard 6.

They're doing the "Star Wars" thing and making every character some related cousin, brother, son, or daughter, to a Legacy character (specifically Aliens) and it's so jarring.

Like, you have this fantastic idea for a sequel novel following Alien 3 and STILL Find a way to work in Apone's brother and Lt. Goreman's niece and they all end up fighting Burke's evil nephew.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not a fan of seeing recurring characters or relatives encounter Xenomorphs like it's a family tradition (aside from Ellen, of course).

Once with Amanda Ripley? Fair enough. Now we've got Olivia Shipp, more Amanda Ripley, Zula Hendricks, the niece & nephew of Vasquez, Apone's brother, Goreman's niece, Cher Hunt, AND Chad McLaren getting involved or having multiple encounters?

Is the Alien universe not big enough for new stories? :(

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

QuoteWhat she's trying to achieve is incredible. It would benefit everyone. But she's doing it for her own well-being.

Just so, the last part does not bother me in the slightest, nobody's truly completely altruistic, it's just Blue's circumstances push them into making uncomfortable decisions most people will never have to.

Most people would not have half the integrity Blue displays.

The Cold Forge also has Lucy, who literally never does anything incorrect, but gets massive hate because of their demeanour.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 21, 2023, 10:18:40 AMnobody's truly completely altruistic

Completely agreed. We're all selfish, we all act according to our own best interests. Which is, again, why I love Blue's character.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Apr 21, 2023, 08:32:11 AMHuh. When I read Cold Forge, I liked it enough, but it also felt dry and.. kind of boring. This comment kind of made me realize a few things in that the Alien, despite being an overwhelming and terrifying force, also has that tendency to set aside the tension between characters and bring them together in a sense, even if some characters have more ulterior motives.
Yeah, normally characters are punished for being selfish in Alien movies. Like, there's nothing unrealistic about Burke, or the prisoners, or Wren. That doesn't mean we give their actions a free pass.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed