Predator: If It Bleeds - New Predator Anthology

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 02, 2016, 03:47:44 PM

Author
Predator: If It Bleeds - New Predator Anthology (Read 121,639 times)

Wysps

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 21, 2019, 01:06:20 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 21, 2019, 12:08:28 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 21, 2019, 10:35:46 AM
As long as the female predators don't have breasts then I am all for their inclusion.

What a strange thing to draw the line against in regards to inclusion, considering how extremely humanoid the Predator body and musculature is. If it's revealed that the male Predators assumingly have something that resembles male genitalia under their codpiece, would you be equally against it?
To be fair, "BOLT SOME TITS ON IT!" is one of the laziest ways to indicate gender when designing an extraterrestrial species, and makes it really, really easy to sexualize them.

I go back and forth on this.  On one hand, considering how human-looking they already are (and if we are to assume that there's male anatomy under that cod-piece and not some sort of cloaca), then yes – it wouldn't be too far fetched to give the females breasts.  I mean, we're already half-way there, right?

On the other hand, breasts really are a mammalian feature.  If the females have them, then they should also be using them for feeding purposes, unless they're vestigial.  When I see a Predator, the first thing that comes to my mind is not "mammal"  :-\  Of course, this is an alien species so anything's possible.  Why confine ourselves to that dimorphism when there's so many other possibilities?

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 21, 2019, 02:15:48 PM
I think Cool Props nailed the female head on the left.

This, different musculature like Samhain suggested or feathers/patterns/texture would be great.

Saith

Saith

Rematch featured a female predator.

Any other examples across the EU?

I can't think of any, exclusively.

Corporal Hicks

Off the top of my head, Deadliest of Species, The Rage Wars, Prey.

Saith

Ah, thanks Hicks!

Yeah, Prey I was 50-50 on. It's been 20 years since I read that, man. Haven't touched Rage Wars (not sure if I want to but that's on me, not the writers.)

As for Deadliest of the Species, true. Though I like to consider  I have completely wiped that one from my memory!

Wysps

If my memory serves me correctly, both The Rage Wars and DoTS show the females with no discernible physical differences, though in temperament the females are more, I'd say, aggressive?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Don't remember the ones in the Rage War acting much different from males, in Incursion they all appear to be more agressive due to the situation. I never finished DoTS.

Quote from: Tony Pope on Sep 23, 2019, 10:55:48 PM
Rematch featured a female predator.

Any other examples across the EU?

I can't think of any, exclusively.

Its only briefly mentioned but in South China Sea on one of the monitors on the Predator ship:

"A young female predator stalked a huge purple saurion with 3 heads under a yellow sky."

Predators do livestream across the Galaxy through their helmets in the novel.  ;D

Saith

That's Right!

It's been ages since I read that book.
f**king Awesome novel!

(VanderMeers City of Saints & Madmen was good also).

Kailem

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 24, 2019, 05:27:24 PMIts only briefly mentioned but in South China Sea on one of the monitors on the Predator ship:

"A young female predator stalked a huge purple saurion with 3 heads under a yellow sky."

Predators do livestream across the Galaxy through their helmets in the novel.  ;D

"Hey yo, what is going on guys, Hunt3r4Realz here comin' atcha LIVE with another stream from across the galaxy, and tonight I'm going to be hunting a purple saurion with 3 heads so don't forget to hit that like button and subscribe if you like what you see, I'd really appreciate it!"

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 24, 2019, 08:08:29 AM
Off the top of my head, Deadliest of Species, The Rage Wars, Prey.
Do you mean AvP: Prey? They get mentioned in the novel, but not "shown".

There's one in Steve Perry's story in 'If It Bleeds', but I don't remember her getting a physical description.

They're also mentioned in everyone's favorite Predator novel, Forever Midnight (and I think Flesh and Blood as well).

I believe one shows up in the Witchblade/Darkness/Aliens/Predator crossover as well.

Samhain13

Samhain13

On Steve Perry's story in 'If It Bleeds' there is a Predator couple, I don't think the female is described as being physically different than the other one.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 25, 2019, 10:22:07 PM
They're also mentioned in everyone's favorite Predator novel, Forever Midnight (and I think Flesh and Blood as well).

I see what you did there. And I had completely forgotten about those two.

In Forever Midnight its not like in the other histories. The "Hish"'s bodies changes their sex at random, I think there is a part where the clan leader is worried since his best bro is about to turn female and he gets moody during that phase. Its hilarious.

On Flesh and Blood despite being called Hish, there is no mention of them being hermaphrodites. Most of them are reffered as males I think, but I remember it was mentioned there was a young teen female on the second hunting pack that arrives later on the story.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, Forever Midnight isn't the greatest certainly.

Wysps

It is a thing unto itself  :D (And one that I kind of pretend doesn't exist lol)

HuDaFuK

I only recently read that for the first time. I really liked the beginning aboard the ship, but once they get down to the planet... man, does it take a turn :laugh:

happypred

In Rage War, I believe the humans are only guessing which yautja are female and which are male?

Corporal Hicks

I'm fairly sure the main Predator character is female and explicitly says so.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed