Critic Review Thread (79% fresh - 7.1 average rating)

Started by JaaayDee, May 28, 2012, 02:22:15 PM

Author
Critic Review Thread (79% fresh - 7.1 average rating) (Read 206,357 times)

RagingDragon

Quote from: PROM3TH3US on May 30, 2012, 10:49:31 PM
http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/90469/prometheus.html#top_comments_main

Sounds damn good to me.  Just another person expecting an Alien prequel.
If you read that and thought 'damn good' I really don't think you understand what was said in the review... at all.

PROM3TH3US

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 31, 2012, 12:02:29 AM
Quote from: PROM3TH3US on May 30, 2012, 10:49:31 PM
http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/90469/prometheus.html#top_comments_main

Sounds damn good to me.  Just another person expecting an Alien prequel.
If you read that and thought 'damn good' I really don't think you understand what was said in the review... at all.

I know what I'm reading.  The guy is just complaining.  If he never read about Damon and Ridley discussion he wouldn't know the intention of them trying to put a little bit of Inception, 2001 and other movies into it.  I see a hypocrite where he bash Prometheus for using some ideas from other movies and enjoy some other pretty crappy movies.  Stop comparing it to other movies and review it as its own movie.

ThisBethesdaSea

I'd say the film is faring pretty well.....I'm cautiously optimistic.

thecaffeinatedone

It'll probably be solid enough to add to my anthology, or so I think. I'll see it and judge.

ThisBethesdaSea

From the what culture.com review

"Still, to persistently compare the pic to the most-lauded entries into the series and, indeed, the genre, seems patently unfair. After all, Prometheus is easily the most thematically ambitious of any film in the Alien universe, riffing lithely on – to name just a few – where we come from, what happens when we die, the notion of the soul, the conflict between science and religion, and the idea of shifting belief systems. The concept of the Engineers – the giant, chest-bursted creature encountered in the first act of Alien, commonly referred to as the "Space Jockey" by fans – having possibly spawned the human race is introduced right off the bat, a surprising and brave choice; also one which proves shrewdly economic. Dr. Shaw's desperate search for these beings helps form the crux of the film's internal conflict; Shaw is a believer in God – after all, someone must have created the Engineers – but what happens if you encounter something so damning to your belief system that it is irreparably damaged? Throw into the blender looming prospects of motherhood, and the questionable nature of the ship's child-like android David (Michael Fassbender), and you have what is unmistakable deep-dish blockbuster storytelling, bursting with ambition that carries through to that spectacular final shot."

I like that.

modprecar

Hi Guys

Just found out legit its not a sequal & not even a follow up just same universe with the weyland bloke & the ending has nothing to do with 1979 Alien ( Spewing ) they f**ked up & shit story i have been an Alien fan for 29 years f**k you lindof what ever your name is.

zoidy

Quote from: modprecar on May 31, 2012, 07:22:15 AM
Hi Guys

Just found out legit its not a sequal & not even a follow up just same universe with the weyland bloke & the ending has nothing to do with 1979 Alien ( Spewing ) they f**ked up & shit story i have been an Alien fan for 29 years f**k you lindof what ever your name is.
That's probably the most intelligent comment this site has ever seen. Good job.

Space Sweeper

Quote from: modprecar on May 31, 2012, 07:22:15 AM
Hi Guys

ThisBethesdaSea

Mod...we've known it's not a sequel or a follow up for over 18 months.

modprecar

Sorry for being upset guys but fox has tried to milk Alien franchise by using Alien elements, giving the film a different tone attracting a different audience & then teasing as fanboys & fangirls for 18 months of  bullshit  saying yeah the last eight minutes will relate to the prevous film. Sorry to say this my fellow fanboys & fangirls i dont think we will ever se another proper Alien film again. Cheers from Modprecar

Skylark Duquesne

So I saw it yesterday. Historical day.

It's a major movie experience, an uncommon one. Every shot, every scene is this film bears the imprint of a master, there's no denying that. I was a bit annoyed by the 3D at first as it dones town the colours, but after a while you just don't care because you're so taken by the story and atmosphere... and you forget the Alien reference because you get something else entirely. What I like most is the subtle touches that make the distinction between an artist and a hack. I don't agree with people who say the characters are not likeable, Scott knows how to do that, he demonstrated it all through his work. Fassbender is magnetic once again, his performance will go down in history as one of the most memorable sci-fi characters ever. Rapace's acting is imbued with emotion. The writing is not as bas as some pretend, actually a few lines are likely to become classic stuff. Some scenes are quite intense and harrowing.

That being said...

It's been repeated over here countless times. The key word is frustration. There are several reasons to that.

The first is that there is virtually no surprise element. The most beautiful shots have been shown in all trailers and featurettes and clips, most of the time in glorious HD. Take the ship for example, there is scarcely any new external view. As to the most shocking horror parts, everybody's already well acquainted with them : the "snake" attacking Milburn, forcing its way down his throat, Fifield's bubble helmet melting and collapsing on his face. Enough has been exhibited of the medical pod scene to imagine what can be going on inside. I am puzzled by this marketing strategy consisting in releasing unduly spoiler-heavy commercials. I understand the necessity to lure audiences into theaters with powerful imagery, but it is a choice which may well backfire on Fox. Alien's trailer was a masterpiece, totally suggestive and unrevealing and yet utterly effective, couldn't the same approach have been adopted with Prometheus ? Anyway, there is nothing in the film, not a single twist that hasn't been figured out by someone around here.

Secondly, the so-called grand revelations Scott promised are totally missing from the film. It is obvious now that it is not a standalone movie, and its conclusion paves the way for Prometheus 2, which is bound to be tremendously epic, an even more drastic departure from Alien, and set in a far more spectacular location. Now we can better understand Fassbender's puzzling line : "Big things have small beginnings". How ironical.

Last but not least, the sci-fi fan in me cannot but regret the dirth of creatures in this would-be epic. I can't say that I'm disappointed by the Jockeys' appearance because it has been long-known that Scott had decided to make them human-like (still, those tall waxen-skinned eggheads I have a hard time accepting...), but I expected this choice to be tampered by the inclusion of  various critters, a "veritable zoo" to quote the original Starbeast script... In lieu of which you have a bunch of worms, an eel, a guy who goes berserk because of an acid squirt in his face, and an octopus. And finally, concerning the big question : are there gonna be xenos or not ? The very last images provide you with an answer. That anticlimax was certainly intended as a wink, or a concession, to hardcore Alien fans. To me, it seemed as if Scott and co were giving them the finger.

In short, Prometheus is an important film that cannot be summarily dismissed as a pile of garbage. However, one would be hard pushed to say that it is an accomplished masterpiece. But then, Scott never made a perfect film. What matters is that his style and touch are unique. No one could have done it better than him. I sincerely hope this one is going to be hugely successful because I am definitely eager to see its sequel.

ChrisPachi

QuoteSecondly, the so-called grand revelations Scott promised are totally missing from the film. It is obvious now that it is not a standalone movie, and its conclusion paves the way for Prometheus 2...

And Lindelof totally knows how it ends and it will be great. ;)

f**k this cynical twist.

JKS1

Quote from: Skylark Duquesne on May 31, 2012, 09:57:19 AM
So I saw it yesterday. Historical day.

It's a major movie experience, an uncommon one. Every shot, every scene is this film bears the imprint of a master, there's no denying that. I was a bit annoyed by the 3D at first as it dones town the colours, but after a while you just don't care because you're so taken by the story and atmosphere... and you forget the Alien reference because you get something else entirely. What I like most is the subtle touches that make the distinction between an artist and a hack. I don't agree with people who say the characters are not likeable, Scott knows how to do that, he demonstrated it all through his work. Fassbender is magnetic once again, his performance will go down in history as one of the most memorable sci-fi characters ever. Rapace's acting is imbued with emotion. The writing is not as bas as some pretend, actually a few lines are likely to become classic stuff. Some scenes are quite intense and harrowing.

That being said...

It's been repeated over here countless times. The key word is frustration. There are several reasons to that.

The first is that there is virtually no surprise element. The most beautiful shots have been shown in all trailers and featurettes and clips, most of the time in glorious HD. Take the ship for example, there is scarcely any new external view. As to the most shocking horror parts, everybody's already well acquainted with them : the "snake" attacking Milburn, forcing its way down his throat, Fifield's bubble helmet melting and collapsing on his face. Enough has been exhibited of the medical pod scene to imagine what can be going on inside. I am puzzled by this marketing strategy consisting in releasing unduly spoiler-heavy commercials. I understand the necessity to lure audiences into theaters with powerful imagery, but it is a choice which may well backfire on Fox. Alien's trailer was a masterpiece, totally suggestive and unrevealing and yet utterly effective, couldn't the same approach have been adopted with Prometheus ? Anyway, there is nothing in the film, not a single twist that hasn't been figured out by someone around here.

Secondly, the so-called grand revelations Scott promised are totally missing from the film. It is obvious now that it is not a standalone movie, and its conclusion paves the way for Prometheus 2, which is bound to be tremendously epic, an even more drastic departure from Alien, and set in a far more spectacular location. Now we can better understand Fassbender's puzzling line : "Big things have small beginnings". How ironical.

Last but not least, the sci-fi fan in me cannot but regret the dirth of creatures in this would-be epic. I can't say that I'm disappointed by the Jockeys' appearance because it has been long-known that Scott had decided to make them human-like (still, those tall waxen-skinned eggheads I have a hard time accepting...), but I expected this choice to be tampered by the inclusion of  various critters, a "veritable zoo" to quote the original Starbeast script... In lieu of which you have a bunch of worms, an eel, a guy who goes berserk because of an acid squirt in his face, and an octopus. And finally, concerning the big question : are there gonna be xenos or not ? The very last images provide you with an answer. That anticlimax was certainly intended as a wink, or a concession, to hardcore Alien fans. To me, it seemed as if Scott and co were giving them the finger.

In short, Prometheus is an important film that cannot be summarily dismissed as a pile of garbage. However, one would be hard pushed to say that it is an accomplished masterpiece. But then, Scott never made a perfect film. What matters is that his style and touch are unique. No one could have done it better than him. I sincerely hope this one is going to be hugely successful because I am definitely eager to see its sequel.

Yes he did: Bladerunner

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed