The Predator Early Reactions Thread

Started by SyntaX, Sep 04, 2018, 07:58:09 AM

Author
The Predator Early Reactions Thread (Read 85,166 times)

PredBabe

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 05, 2018, 01:18:14 PM
RidgeTop and I are seeing the film tomorrow. He's at the Toronto premiere, I'm going to Fox's office to see it.

That is too cool! Hopefully you two enjoy it!

Danversity

Danversity

SyntaX, I kindly ask that when you embargo lifts, use the spoiler tag to reveal who that cameo is - if there is, in fact, a cameo  ;) - 'cause I wanna keep coming to this thread to check on the reactions, but I don't wanna be spoiled regarding the cameo.

Actually, maybe a separate thread to discuss official spoilers from the final product is a good idea, keeping this one strictly to spoiler-free impressions.

Just received my invitation. Sept 12th. This the latest screening I've ever got.

It does make sense considering what SyntaX said tho, if they were still screening 2 different cuts and were still to choose which one gets the official release, Brazil would inevitably get a pretty late press screening 'cause that's gotta be with the final cut.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Danversity on Sep 05, 2018, 09:21:28 PM
SyntaX, I kindly ask that when you embargo lifts, use the spoiler tag to reveal who that cameo is - if there is, in fact, a cameo  ;) - 'cause I wanna keep coming to this thread to check on the reactions, but I don't wanna be spoiled regarding the cameo.

Actually, maybe a separate thread to discuss official spoilers from the final product is a good idea, keeping this one strictly to spoiler-free impressions.

Just received my invitation. Sept 12th. This the latest screening I've ever got.

It does make sense considering what SyntaX said tho, if they were still screening 2 different cuts and were still to choose which one gets the official release, Brazil would inevitably get a pretty late press screening 'cause that's gotta be with the final cut.

The two different cuts have been clarified and I can confirm that the version I saw (and the version Hicks will see) is the final one. Once I have more (solid) information regarding the "other" version I'll post it here.

Mind you, studios usually send out multiple cuts of the movie in order to decide which one is received best by the general audience.

Don't worry about a cameo though ... there is none. There's name-dropping here and there but that's about it.

Ramjet311

Quote from: SyntaX on Sep 06, 2018, 07:43:16 AM
Quote from: Danversity on Sep 05, 2018, 09:21:28 PM

The two different cuts have been clarified and I can confirm that the version I saw (and the version Hicks will see) is the final one. Once I have more (solid) information regarding the "other" version I'll post it here.

Mind you, studios usually send out multiple cuts of the movie in order to decide which one is received best by the general audience.

Don't worry about a cameo though ... there is none. There's name-dropping here and there but that's about it.

THe only question i have is about " The Loonies " how are there interactions and are they memorable?

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Ramjet311 on Sep 06, 2018, 07:47:48 AMTHe only question i have is about " The Loonies " how are there interactions and are they memorable?

What makes characters memorable? The "Loonies" do their job.. and they do it well. It works onscreen.
Difficult question to answer ... because it all comes down to personal preference.

The movie Predator "stuck" with us because it was original. It had Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dutch but I wouldn't  really call his character memorable. The ONLY thing that was memorable was the Predator itself.

Danversity

Out of your personal conjecture, do you think this movie is exciting enough as an experience to get good word-to-mouth so people will see it?

von

von

just something to consider regarding the embargo

https://twitter.com/GroweDevon/status/1037450470703296512

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: von on Sep 06, 2018, 08:11:49 AM
just something to consider regarding the embargo

https://twitter.com/GroweDevon/status/1037450470703296512

My embargo lifts after the 8th (so I can talk about it more freely on september 9th).

Quote from: Danversity on Sep 06, 2018, 08:10:29 AM
Out of your personal conjecture, do you think this movie is exciting enough as an experience to get good word-to-mouth so people will see it?

The Predator isn't a big Hollywood tentpole movie. It relies on the name of the brand (Predator) and good word-to-mouth. That being said; nobody was complaining after my screening was over. Sure, there where some : "... but why did he do this?" or "... why did he do that?" things going on ... but it was nowhere near Alien Covenant level of stupidity.  ;D

Danversity

Great. Still can't believe I'll only get to see it one day before it releases here. Ah, at least the very next day I'll be right back at the theater taking my friends to see it.  :D

Corporal Hicks

I'm on my way into London. I'll be seeing it in 2 hours or so.

von

von

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 06, 2018, 09:06:12 AM
I'm on my way into London. I'll be seeing it in 2 hours or so.

good luck & enjoy! bring home the good news!

Tetsujin

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 06, 2018, 09:06:12 AMI'm on my way into London. I'll be seeing it in 2 hours or so.

Great!  8)

And...

Predator - ?/10

Predator 2 - ?/10

Predators - 4/5

The Predator - loading...

AvP - ?/10

AvP:R - ?/10

;)

skull-splitter

Quote from: SyntaX on Sep 06, 2018, 07:53:11 AM
Quote from: Ramjet311 on Sep 06, 2018, 07:47:48 AMTHe only question i have is about " The Loonies " how are there interactions and are they memorable?

What makes characters memorable? The "Loonies" do their job.. and they do it well. It works onscreen.
Difficult question to answer ... because it all comes down to personal preference.

The movie Predator "stuck" with us because it was original. It had Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dutch but I wouldn't  really call his character memorable. The ONLY thing that was memorable was the Predator itself.
There's more to the film than that, but the way the Predator was presented caused a lot of it's popularity. Most comics weren't about Dutch or his brother at all, but put a new predator against a new human prey.

And some make very entertaining reading even if it is all just variation on the same principle.

andreaNZ

oh well while some of you lucky poeple are off to screenings I will be off to see the original Predator  tomorrow night playing in some cinemas around town already have my ticket! Sadly i havent heard any advanced screenings here in NZ yet..keeping my eyes open!!

Quote from: Danversity on Sep 06, 2018, 08:16:14 AM
Great. Still can't believe I'll only get to see it one day before it releases here. Ah, at least the very next day I'll be right back at the theater taking my friends to see it.  :D
If I like it enough..ill be walking right into the very next session as well!!! not long to go now!!

SiL

SiL

Quote from: andreaNZ on Sep 06, 2018, 10:58:11 AM
oh well while some of you lucky poeple are off to screenings I will be off to see the original Predator  tomorrow night playing in some cinemas around town already have my ticket! Sadly i havent heard any advanced screenings here in NZ yet..keeping my eyes open!!
We've got advanced screenings on Wednesday 12th here in Australia ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed