Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 213,519 times)

kwisatz

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2021, 01:47:16 AM
Quote from: kwisatz on Jul 07, 2021, 11:46:19 PMThis actually reminds me of the less meaningful epigraphs in the Dune sequels.

A Tleilaxu mnemotechnic verse or something.

You aren't supposed to know about those.

I swear I haven't touched the original.

Spoiler
Beyond the dust cover
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Stepping aside briefly from the, ehm, discourse of the past week... one comment of Hawley's that I find to be quite intriguing is his statement that "They're about humanity trapped between our primordial, parasitic past and our artificial intelligence future—and they're both trying to kill us."

That sentence seems to shed some light on Hawley's perspective of the the grander mythos that the films play within, and it should be interesting seeing how he weaves within those broader strokes in telling his story.

Baron Von Marlon

Our parasitic past could be about how humans ruined the Earth.
Maybe in the series Earth is approaching the end of being an environment where humans are able to survive.

The A.I. future, with A.I. not yet perfected (and possibly being evil) yet necessary for humans to survive. Maybe they're an irreplaceable part in space travel and colonisation.

Either way, humans are screwed. Or prevail because we're so neat.

TC

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 08, 2021, 02:38:31 AM
Stepping aside briefly from the, ehm, discourse of the past week... one comment of Hawley's that I find to be quite intriguing is his statement that "They're about humanity trapped between our primordial, parasitic past and our artificial intelligence future—and they're both trying to kill us."

That sentence seems to shed some light on Hawley's perspective of the the grander mythos that the films play within, and it should be interesting seeing how he weaves within those broader strokes in telling his story.

Speaking of Tleilaxu mnemotechnic verse, I had a great deal of trouble figuring out what he meant by humanity's "primordial, parasitic past". Parasitic? What is he talking about? Then it occurred to me he was referencing Prometheus and the black goo, and my heart sank. I was hoping we could leave that Chariots of the Gods / Raelian Church nonsense far behind.

TC

BlueMarsalis79

Perhaps it's referring to the state of Earth, hence ships setting out to colonize the galaxy, did Covenant not say as much?

Baron Von Marlon

And Ridley said this in an interview

"When they (Engineers) revisit –  because different visitors would come back and see we're not doing so well – they would look at these human beings that are jerks, that are killing the planet, killing themselves, can't settle down, they're like a bunch of children. "

We are the parasites.

BlueMarsalis79

TC

Hope so.

Like you say--hopefully he's just being heavy on metaphor. Like the parasites are a further reference to pernicious corporate behaviour.

TC

Nightmare Asylum

I'd be inclined to think that it is probably a hybrid of both literal and metaphoric parasites, with parallels being drawn between our own failures on a socio-political level and the failures of our predecessors (perhaps the primordial Engineers, whose plight in Prometheus as they experiment with cosmic horrors beyond their control parallels with humanity's future endeavors with the Alien in the original films?) and how we carry those failures with us into the future as we encounter and continue to build upon the dark, twisted byproducts of that parasitic meddling.

BlueMarsalis79

But I have no doubt the Chariots of the Gods concept will be involved in someway.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I have no idea how literal we're supposed to take the imagery that was used in the presentation last December, but looking at that in conjunction with the announcement that this is set on Earth, it certainly seems plausible that we may be seeing some Engineer structures on Earth:

"Childs, it happens all the time, man. They're falling out of the sky like flies. Government knows all about it, right, Mac? [...] Childs, Childs... Chariots of the Gods, man. They practically own South America. I mean, they taught the Incas everything they know."

Kradan

Looks very Prometheus-esque to me

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TC on Jul 08, 2021, 04:46:47 AM
Hope so.

Like you say--hopefully he's just being heavy on metaphor. Like the parasites are a further reference to pernicious corporate behaviour.

TC

I'm hoping so too.

Huggs

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 08, 2021, 04:47:48 PM
I have no idea how literal we're supposed to take the imagery that was used in the presentation last December, but looking at that in conjunction with the announcement that this is set on Earth, it certainly seems plausible that we may be seeing some Engineer structures on Earth:

The batmobile would look good in there.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed