The Predator Early Reactions Thread

Started by SyntaX, Sep 04, 2018, 07:58:09 AM

Author
The Predator Early Reactions Thread (Read 85,168 times)

whiterabbit

From those reviews I'd say this movie is going to be right up my alley. An late 80's, early 90's action spectacle.

When sensitive reviewers don't like a movie is when I go oh hell yea.

goose_3387

Fun was something that was lacking in AVP, AVPR and Predators. I'm all for a fun over-the-top sci-fi movie.

Everything is too serious these days.

von

von

Quote from: goose_3387 on Sep 07, 2018, 08:35:50 AM
Fun was something that was lacking in AVP, AVPR and Predators. I'm all for a fun over-the-top sci-fi movie.

same here. would rather have a "too much humor" reaction as opposed to "took itself too seriously"

SyntaX

SyntaX

That's not the problem. The problem is that everything has been done before. Nothing is new, nothing is suprising.
Take a look at The Force Awakens. It was a rehash of Episode IV but it was a great movie for me. The Last Jedi absolutely destroyed my inner Star Wars fanboy. It was terrible.

The same goes for Predator. Predator 1 will remain my favorite because it was awesome when I first saw it. Predator 2 felt off, but I can enjoy the movie. Predators was good too ... because it tried to show us different tribes of Predators.

predator88

It's pretty much certain that Predator 2 will remain the best sequel. Black's film has the potential to a be fun but flawed lighthearted film with some nice action and memorable characters but not much else. I definitely lowered my expectations for this one.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: predator88 on Sep 07, 2018, 08:48:55 AM
It's pretty much certain that Predator 2 will remain the best sequel. Black's film has the potential to a be fun but flawed lighthearted film with some nice action and memorable characters but not much else. I definitely lowered my expectations for this one.

Eh ... Predator 2 was mediocre but enjoyable.
The Predator is much better than P2. That's for sure.

Danversity

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 07, 2018, 08:31:48 AM
From those reviews I'd say this movie is going to be right up my alley. An late 80's, early 90's action spectacle.

When sensitive reviewers don't like a movie is when I go oh hell yea.

100% with you there.  ;)

Master

Master

Quote from: SyntaX on Sep 07, 2018, 08:50:43 AM

Not to argue but you simply can't do better then P2. It's  cult classic and has nostalgia train attached to it. For me it's  in top ten of the best sequels ever made, next to Aliens, Terminator 2: The Judgement Day, Empire Strikes Back and God Father Part II. You can't do better, but you might get close.

predator88

I seriously doubt that, P2 is a badass worthy sequel

goose_3387

Quote from: SyntaX on Sep 07, 2018, 08:40:14 AM

That's not the problem. The problem is that everything has been done before. Nothing is new, nothing is suprising.
Take a look at The Force Awakens. It was a rehash of Episode IV but it was a great movie for me. The Last Jedi absolutely destroyed my inner Star Wars fanboy. It was terrible.

The same goes for Predator. Predator 1 will remain my favorite because it was awesome when I first saw it. Predator 2 felt off, but I can enjoy the movie. Predators was good too ... because it tried to show us different tribes of Predators.

Predators wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't very good. It sits somewhere in the middle for me and has no rewatch value at all (IMO). A worst a movie can be is just MEH! Atleast AVPR is so bad it's good. I'd rather watch Wolf goof around for 90 minutes because for me it's 'fun'.

Brzrkr

Brzrkr

Quote from: predator88 on Sep 07, 2018, 08:57:07 AM

I seriously doubt that, P2 is a badass worthy sequel

Yep. P2 is a far better film than Predators.

predator88

Quote from: goose_3387 on Sep 07, 2018, 08:57:19 AM
Quote from: SyntaX on Sep 07, 2018, 08:40:14 AM

Predators wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't very good. It sits somewhere in the middle for me and has no rewatch value at all (IMO). A worst a movie can be is just MEH! Atleast AVPR is so bad it's good. I'd rather watch Wolf goof around for 90 minutes because for me it's 'fun'.

Predators is the definition of a mediocre movie- its just serviceable, very generic. They tried to introduce a new bred of badass predators but they seemed inferior to the normal ones. The predator from the first movie will massacre the three super ones no problem. Laurence Fisberne who played Noland had too much fat for a guy stranded on an alien planet for ten years too.

Russ840

Well it is all a matter of opinion.

Wweyland

Were the reshoots apparent in the movie? Does Woodhurst show up?

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 07, 2018, 09:30:03 AM
Were the reshoots apparent in the movie? Does Woodhurst show up?

Reshoots are apparent, yes.
Woodhurst? No.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed