What Alien designs would you like to see in the new film?

Started by OmegaZilla, Feb 27, 2015, 11:15:20 AM

Author
What Alien designs would you like to see in the new film? (Read 38,507 times)

Born Of Cold Light

GQSioux

GQSioux

I've always wanted to see this guy alive on the big screen:

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: GQSioux on Feb 28, 2015, 01:52:02 AM

That's a good one, and it leads me to a concept that I've long wanted to see; sentient xenomorphs with human-like intelligence.  Think about it, a xenomorph species with a culture, society, technology and space travel could make the ultimate movie villains.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 28, 2015, 02:27:28 AM

That's a good one, and it leads me to a concept that I've long wanted to see; sentient xenomorphs with human-like intelligence.  Think about it, a xenomorph species with a culture, society, technology and space travel could make the ultimate movie villains.

Christ no!
No, no, no, no- that's an awful idea- the whole point of the Alien creature is that it is "Alien" FFS.

If you want something in the Alien aesthetic that is a creature with culture and technology- look no further than the Space Jockeys/Engineers.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Feb 28, 2015, 02:32:48 AM
Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 28, 2015, 02:27:28 AM

Christ no!
No, no, no, no- that's an awful idea- the whole point of the Alien creature is that it is "Alien" FFS.

If you want something in the Alien aesthetic that is a creature with culture and technology- look no further than the Space Jockeys/Engineers.

But it still would be alien.

Think about it; despite our advanced intelligence, humans are very much driven by core primate instincts and our society mimics the societies found in species like chimps and bonobos but on a much larger, more complicated scale.  It is essentially a society that clumsily balances individualism with hierarchy, empathy and understanding with competition and hyper-sexuality (found more so in bonobos) with hyper-violence (found more so in chimps).  We may be able to transcend these instincts at time, but they are core to who we are.

Aliens, on the other hand, have no concept of empathy or individualism.  These are creatures that simply kill anything that isn't their own kind and will throw themselves into a blaze of gunfire for long periods at a time, only retreating for strategic reasons.  An alien with sentience would not simply be a mean human, it would be an utterly amoral, cold and cruel being that would seem utterly evil and nihilistic to a human.  They would probably live in an absolutist military dictatorship that would make the Third Reich look like Woodstock.  They would be just as alien as a more familiar xenomorph only with the ability to now project serious military and political power.  A sentient xenomorph society would be a thousand times more terrifying than anything we've seen so far.

Son Of Kane

But all those ideas are human or at least earthly so no, never I hope.

That would kill the franchise for me, if you want to go down that road you can do so with the Engineers/sect of Engineer society.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Feb 28, 2015, 03:04:15 AM
But all those ideas are human or at least earthly so no, never I hope.

That would kill the franchise for me, if you want to go down that road you can do so with the Engineers/sect of Engineer society.

The Engineers basically are human as their DNA is the same as ours.  Xenomorphs, meanwhile, are totally different.  I'm not saying that all traditional aliens should be gotten rid of, but if you could create an alien that was as smart as a human but had the same instincts as a traditional xenomorph, it would be like giving a serial killer a nuclear bomb.  They wouldn't sit around and dialogue with humans, they would simply destroy them in a far more efficient manner than their less evolved cousins would.  They would probably have farms where they bred choice humans and other creatures for hosts; it would be a complete dystopia.  Again, they would still be utterly alien except now they wouldn't just have to sit around in caves and wait for someone to find them but could go forth and basically create an intergalactic hive.  If the aliens from the other films had been as smart as humans, they would have been just as ruthless and sadistic but far more organized and deadly.  Considering how humans have perfect animal cruelty, they would probably be alot worse than traditional xenomorphs.

Son Of Kane

No.

Still sounds terrible, especially since I actually already consider the Aliens as intelligent as humans- they simply chose a different path.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Feb 28, 2015, 03:31:20 AM
No.

Still sounds terrible, especially since I actually already consider the Aliens as intelligent as humans- they simply chose a different path.

If they are as intelligent as humans, they sure don't show it.  A species that hell-bent on dominating anything and everything around it would put all their energy into building technology to allow for maximum conquest.  They would be like a bloodier version of the Borg, or maybe like the Star Wars EU's Yuuzhan Vong.  They wouldn't allow themselves to be pent up in little isolated corners of the galaxy or used as live game for predators.

OWLF

I would love to see a Translucent Alien.
Ridley Scott originally wanted all three Alien forms to be translucent to match Giger's paintings,
but they ended up scrapping the idea because of time restriction and molding problems.

"I Agree with Scott to make the Alien's translucent. One should be able to see the skeleton, the blood circulatory system, the organs etc. The skeleton has been cast in plaster and I am starting to design the Facehugger's skin"

- H.R. Giger, Giger's Alien.

Born Of Cold Light

Translucent aliens with glittering platinum teeth and claws could be incredibly frightening.

OpenMaw

It would be particularly good if they could build that as an animatronic and not a man in a suit.

Vrastal

I think translucent might look a little funny. I hope we see alien isolation and aliens (digigrade, cant spell it) legs. IT makes it seem much more animalistic.

I Like Aliens as being a natural occurring creature not created in a lab but grew and evolved.

OmegaZilla

With today's technology a translucent Alien is entirely possible.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 28, 2015, 07:44:49 AM
With today's technology a translucent Alien is entirely possible.
They should go for it. This is why CGI was invented. Perhaps give the alien an almost angelic flair.

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 28, 2015, 06:10:20 AM
Translucent aliens with glittering platinum teeth and claws could be incredibly frightening.
That would be crazy good.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed