James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 711,822 times)

BlueMarsalis79

In 3D and in 4K? That's a new one as far as I know.

BlueMarsalis79

A unpleasant rant from me on the merits of Avatar:

Big, simplistic, beating you over the head with obviously allegory, exploiting clichés about how "primitive cultures" exist and function with a white saviour narrative, family orientated, and aliens explicitly designed cynically to be as analogous to life here as possible with big anime eyes to squeeze empathy out of people for extremely bland characters.

Set on a planet of science fiction screensaver 2005 backgrounds. Plus Disney gets a check out of it.

This being a franchise before a single sequel even exists because of a decades old gimmick, or indeed single worthwhile film either represents everything I loathe about modern filmmaking, and art by committee and I hope it is the Hindenburg disaster of the industry.

Kradan

I'm beginning to think that @BlueMarsalis79 doesn't like James Cameron too much

BlueMarsalis79

"I don't like it."

[cancerblack]

"What's to like?"

426Buddy

There has always been a certain level of dislike for Cameron on these boards.

Usually you see either harsh criticism or hyperbolic love for him. I usually fall some where in the middle.

BlueMarsalis79

I dislike Avatar, not James Cameron, I dislike the way he writes women but, not the man himself.

Cosmic Incubation

I remember enjoying the original Avatar a lot when I first saw it in theatres, and even a little while after. But after like a year or two, it kinda faded from my brain, and over the years I've never really had the urge to revisit it or anything. To me it's never had the franchise appeal so much, especially now a decade after the original. I don't necessarily hate it like a lot of people, but I'm just extremely indifferent to it lol.

I'm not really looking forward to the sequel, but I'm hoping Cameron can surprise me and bring me back on board!

nanison

I usually don't have strong opinions on films or people lol

Immortan Jonesy

Kradan

No shit

nanison

There is a 16 year gap between godfather 2 and 3.
19 years between Rambo 3 and 4
20 years between dumb and dumber and nr to
28 years between Tron and Legacy
29 years between mad max thunderdome and fury road
35 years between blade runner and 2049
And finally la piece de resistance 54 years between Mary Popping and Returns.

All of those films have been successful either on money terms or critically or in a cult kind of way

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed