First Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Released Online - Alien: Containment!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 29, 2019, 04:35:38 PM

Author
First Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Released Online - Alien: Containment! (Read 28,998 times)

SuperiorIronman

So I'll throw my two-cents into the ring.

The story is very simple but it works.
Following an outbreak on the main ship the rest of the crew escape for someone to be infected and we don't know who. Shortly thereafter the Alien does make its appearance and with nowhere to go the crew is lost and make one final plea to not to even open the ship up. It's not even worth the rescue.

All things considered that's pretty dark of an Alien story where there is absolutely no hope. We have no idea who is playing host to the creature and we see that even the larval form is a threat that can get away pretty easily and start this whole mess over quickly.

The FX aren't great
We hardly see the Alien, and we in this case don't need to see it all. What little we do is fine for the short because I can't imagine they have the largest budget in the world. The issue at hand for me is that the compositing of the actors to the CGI elements doesn't really work as well as they should. It's fine for what it is but something a little more seamless would've worked better.

The acting is alright but not incredible.
Some of the line reads aren't great like when the lady locks herself behind the door, but otherwise these are actors who are trying to use what they have with the camera angles they got. It doesn't help we don't really have a "lead" character so to speak so we have wider shots with actors knowing that they have to make it work from all angles and playing up that an Alien is in the room when it really is a low end puppet.

Otherwise as nervous as I was about these shorts, Containment gets a B+.
It has its share of issues but most of that is budgetary and it does well with what its got. I give it props for doing what it did in the short amount of time it had and it's fairly entertaining. I don't know if I would seek it out if this was specifically on a DVD or Blu-ray, but I feel like this is potential for a full film where this "infection" jumps ship to ship and risks jumping to an active population center. I'd be willing to see a followup to this.

[cancerblack]

Anyone else call who was infected right off the bat?

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, twas a bit predictable to moi.

Did I mention how much I loved the lead actress? I loved the lead actress.

[cancerblack]

Yeah i hope we see more of her in future.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 31, 2019, 07:52:38 PM
Everything will remind you of something. It's a conundrum of living in a world where seemingly everything has been done before.

I swear I read this post somewhere before.  Freakin' deja vu.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 31, 2019, 10:16:02 PM
Everything will remind you of something. It's a conundrum of living in a world where seemingly everything has been done before.

Just keep in mind that everything will remind you of something. It's a conundrum of living in a world where seemingly everything has been done before.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

It was okay... but I didn't like the end.

I get what they were going for with her self-sacrifice, but she seemed to give up so quickly.  The alien is so tiny and she doesn't even try to get the airlock shut.

And then the stinger?  What the hell was that?  Annoyingly pointless.  They shouldn't have included that at all.

5/10

This was well shot and acted, but I hope the rest are a little more solid... and I hope you're doing better, Old One.

Vermillion

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 31, 2019, 10:20:02 PM

Just keep in mind that everything will remind you of something. It's a conundrum of living in a world where seemingly everything has been done before.

Right! And the outcome will depend on the execution of vampires, werewolves and zombies.

[cancerblack]

Is this where the sulaco egg copypasta goes?

HuDaFuK

I enjoyed it. Simple but effective. The twitching hand reference to Kane was a nice touch.

I got an unintentional laugh when I realised the actor playing the nervous guy was the same one who played the weirdo in the first Inbetweeners movie lol.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Apr 01, 2019, 05:46:23 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 31, 2019, 10:20:02 PM

Right! And the outcome will depend on the execution of vampires, werewolves and zombies.

Wait! You want to execute vampires, werewolves and zombies?

;D

Samhain13

Greg Or

Well done , I've enjoyed this short movie more than last few of an Alien /AvPmovies and that tells a lot) .

Story reminds me on a "heaven&hell" comics episode. 

Only remark would be about "little alien" pulling that doctor back into room - they should done something else instead that shoot , but otherwise almost perfect short movie/story.

Can't wait for next one.   

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed