NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 850,160 times)

aliens13

aliens13

I'm going to buy an Alien figure, I'm between the Alien Big Chap from the Series 2 (I think) of the 35° anniversary of Alien or the Ultimate Big Chap. The first it's more cheap, I'm guessing that the obvious choice it's the ultimate but from what I saw in some pictures and videos the sculpt of the 35° it's more movie accurate than the ultimate or I'm wrong?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The big 20 inch ones are definitely more accurate but, the 6 inch are generally just meh especially the face.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: aliens13 on Jan 28, 2024, 03:23:17 AMI'm going to buy an Alien figure, I'm between the Alien Big Chap from the Series 2 (I think) of the 35° anniversary of Alien or the Ultimate Big Chap. The first it's more cheap, I'm guessing that the obvious choice it's the ultimate but from what I saw in some pictures and videos the sculpt of the 35° it's more movie accurate than the ultimate or I'm wrong?

I own the 2015 and 2019 (same sculpt, but different paint-jobs) 1/4 scale Alien Big Chap. Both look great at the larger scale.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: aliens13 on Jan 28, 2024, 03:23:17 AMI'm going to buy an Alien figure, I'm between the Alien Big Chap from the Series 2 (I think) of the 35° anniversary of Alien or the Ultimate Big Chap. The first it's more cheap, I'm guessing that the obvious choice it's the ultimate but from what I saw in some pictures and videos the sculpt of the 35° it's more movie accurate than the ultimate or I'm wrong?

First, watch some YouTube reviews of all of these figures, cause the official pictures always lie.
If you've already done that, then I can confirm what the previous folk said. I don't have the 1/4 scale ones cause they are expensive for me and I don't collect in that scale. But they are more detailed and have better proportions than the 7 inch ones. But there is a purposeful randomness in the big figures. Some have the lips closed, some have the lips opened. Be sure you know what you're getting. I don't think the one with the closed lips looks great.

The series 2 one is cheaper, but the tails aren't as sturdy as the later releases. And the knees are very weak, it'll be hard to stand them up. Also, the dome color is too glaring white and distracting. It's a good base for customs, but as is, not the greatest.
The ultimate version has stronger knees, swivel joints in the knees that help crouching poses, double jointed elbows which is "new", a darker dome and a better paintjob than the series 2 one.
Both 7 inch versions have a head that's too big and it is a bit distracting. The fingers are also warped and limp. Those problems are fixed on the 1/4 scale version.

On a side note, to date, the best domed "drone" Alien is the domed warrior alien in the Burke 2 pack. The proportions, joints, paintjob - all great.   

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jan 29, 2024, 09:25:44 PM

First, watch some YouTube reviews of all of these figures, cause the official pictures always lie.
If you've already done that, then I can confirm what the previous folk said. I don't have the 1/4 scale ones cause they are expensive for me and I don't collect in that scale. But they are more detailed and have better proportions than the 7 inch ones. But there is a purposeful randomness in the big figures. Some have the lips closed, some have the lips opened. Be sure you know what you're getting. I don't think the one with the closed lips looks great.

The series 2 one is cheaper, but the tails aren't as sturdy as the later releases. And the knees are very weak, it'll be hard to stand them up. Also, the dome color is too glaring white and distracting. It's a good base for customs, but as is, not the greatest.
The ultimate version has stronger knees, swivel joints in the knees that help crouching poses, double jointed elbows which is "new", a darker dome and a better paintjob than the series 2 one.
Both 7 inch versions have a head that's too big and it is a bit distracting. The fingers are also warped and limp. Those problems are fixed on the 1/4 scale version.

On a side note, to date, the best domed "drone" Alien is the domed warrior alien in the Burke 2 pack. The proportions, joints, paintjob - all great.   

Isn't the domed warrior from the two pack just a repaint though?

aliens13

aliens13

I just got the 35th Anniversary Alien from Neca, the one the Series 2. I have a question

The teeth are supposed to be like that? Because they doesn't look like the videos that I saw and I haven't seen that this figure got an bootleg version

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

The Series 2 one definitely has a bootleg version. And the original ones didn't have the problem of the dome separating at the front, that's common for the bootlegs. My series 2 Big chap is genuine and its teeth look like the ones in the videos. This is most certainly a bootleg.

Bootlegs can be of differing quality, depends on the wave of their production. Their Warriors, especially the ones with the newer articulation are as good as the real thing. Only the newest black domed Big Chaps have good bootlegs. The older series not so much.

But if you want, the small defects of the dome are fixable. The teeth are just the more pronounced version that started from the Isolation Alien version.   

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: Still Collating... on Feb 20, 2024, 11:55:24 PMThe Series 2 one definitely has a bootleg version. And the original ones didn't have the problem of the dome separating at the front, that's common for the bootlegs. My series 2 Big chap is genuine and its teeth look like the ones in the videos. This is most certainly a bootleg.

Bootlegs can be of differing quality, depends on the wave of their production. Their Warriors, especially the ones with the newer articulation are as good as the real thing. Only the newest black domed Big Chaps have good bootlegs. The older series not so much.

But if you want, the small defects of the dome are fixable. The teeth are just the more pronounced version that started from the Isolation Alien version.   
Thanks for responding... That's bad 😐 I throughout that was original. I can't get lucky with the Neca Aliens, I bought 3 and the 3 were bootlegs

solace97

solace97

Who are you buying from? I'd caution Chinese dealers I've had bad experiences

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: aliens13 on Feb 21, 2024, 12:49:07 AM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Feb 20, 2024, 11:55:24 PMThe Series 2 one definitely has a bootleg version. And the original ones didn't have the problem of the dome separating at the front, that's common for the bootlegs. My series 2 Big chap is genuine and its teeth look like the ones in the videos. This is most certainly a bootleg.

Thanks for responding... That's bad 😐 I throughout that was original. I can't get lucky with the Neca Aliens, I bought 3 and the 3 were bootlegs

You won't be finding official Neca figures easily, especially the older figures at a decent price if at all. Their face sculpts on the newer non Alien stuff has only now gotten to the level to actually be worth the price. Maybe the last Alien human wave as well. I love their stuff, but man is the quality of their Aliens and holder humans all over the place. Always look at video reviews!

The Chinese bootlegs are good for fodder and customizing. The rest of their Alien stuff, not so much. Some models are good, some not so much, you have to learn to recognize what's worth it and what isn't.

The only way you're gonna find some certain Neca stuff is through official sites that sell them, depending in what country you're looking.

I've bought a good amount of both original (from a few official stores) and bootlegs (on purpose from AlieExpress and Ebay), so I know what to expect now.

You can always create a new thread for asking questions if you think a certain figure from a specific site is worth it, where we can check the seller for you and give you a second opinion, so to say.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: solace97 on Feb 21, 2024, 02:57:24 AMWho are you buying from? I'd caution Chinese dealers I've had bad experiences
In a website called MercadoLibre, it's like E Bay but from Argentina/Brasil and others countries of South America

aliens13

aliens13

I already returned the bootleg figure and luckily I have my money back, searching for another figure I came across with this an Ultimate Big Chap but already looks suspicious with the white thing that attachs the figure to the box, in all the images that I saw it's always black:

What's your opinion? That image it's from the seller

StayFrosty

StayFrosty

So I finally got a hold of a Fireteam Elite Runner Alien. I'm very disappointed... too small, but mainly the Ultimate Dog alien looks much more realistic. Looks way better. Luckily I have both.

Ultimate Dog for the win!

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: aliens13 on Feb 24, 2024, 11:14:28 PMI already returned the bootleg figure and luckily I have my money back, searching for another figure I came across with this an Ultimate Big Chap but already looks suspicious with the white thing that attachs the figure to the box, in all the images that I saw it's always black:

https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_2X_852782-MLB74550864671_022024-F.webp
What's your opinion? That image it's from the seller

The plastic that holds them in should be the clear plastic ones, not the black ones. Learned my lesson with the Scarface "NECA" Predator I own...  :P

The image you shared looks like it should be authentic.
Here's an image of my Warrior Aliens for some reference.

Also, check out this video.

Hope this helps!

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: StayFrosty on Feb 25, 2024, 01:47:59 AMSo I finally got a hold of a Fireteam Elite Runner Alien. I'm very disappointed... too small, but mainly the Ultimate Dog alien looks much more realistic. Looks way better. Luckily I have both.

Ultimate Dog for the win!

I do not understand how anyone can think this honestly, the durability and articulation, (YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET THE RUNNER IN RUNNER POSES FINALLY WOW WHAT A REVELATION) definitely the paint job, and film accuracy are all better on the Fireteam Elite version.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed