Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 282,401 times)

windebieste

I really don't care what you think of me. 

1986 is history and so is Blomkamp's proposal.  Blomkamp's movie isn't going to happen - the real 'train wreck' has been averted.  Thank God for that.  it's not coming out.

'ALIEN: Covenant' is a great addition to the series.  It will find its footing - it will take time but it will happen. 

-Windebieste.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rankles75 on May 30, 2017, 11:29:50 AM
Quote from: windebieste on May 30, 2017, 10:13:08 AM
Quote from: LiquidMonster on May 30, 2017, 09:50:38 AM
I personally would rather see the return of Ripley for one last go and just have Fox greenlight Blomkamp's "ALIEN V" story/pitch. I'd almost guarantee you it would smoke Alien: Covenant at the box office. Ridley has lost his way and is now acting like a spoiled child who is taking his ball and not only going home with it, he's filling it with holes. He's the one who stopped Neil's movie, he pretty much admitted it. Meanwhile, he's destroying what little is left of his ALIEN legacy on the big screen with sequels that are poorly written, explained and simply don't fit into the ALIEN verse imho. Don't know about anyone else but ALIEN and ALIENS are still the only two xeno films I personally view as canon. Prometheus and A:C are as bad as Alien 3 and Resurrection; ie: two sequels that weren't needed when it seemed like fans were hyped for Neil's film. Ridley used that hype for his own gain and screwed Blomkamp up the bum. If there *are* anymore ALIEN movies, the only one I will see is the one directed by Neil Blomkamp closing out the Ripley storyline proper. 

Ripley's story was already 'closed out proper' at the end of 'ALIEN 3'.    Deal with it, already.

'ALIEN 3', 'PROMETHEUS' and 'ALIEN: Covenant' are all good movies.  You might like to deal with that, too.

While you're at it, you might like to face the fact that Blomkamp's proposal is history.  In all honesty, it should never have gotten any publicity at all.  It's done no one any good - especially the minute Weaver was publicly associated with it.  There's nothing more pitiful than fan boys being 'cock teased' by a 70 year old woman

The proposal is gone, thrown under the bus, tossed into the furnace and cooked with an apple in it's mouth.  It's history. 

Embrace the New Canon, I say.  ...or forever live in 1986 with false hopes and broken dreams of whoring out the old woman just one more time...

-Windebieste.

Your antagonistic dick act is growing old. If people don't want to accept a train wreck of a movie, and instead hold out hope for one that they feel does justice to the series, they have every right to do so. If you think Alien 3 and Prometheus are good movies, that's your right too (although that is an opinion, not a "fact" that we have to "deal with").

It's a shame that Covenant is struggling at the box office, as I think it's a much better film than Prometheus, but it's not really surprising. Bringing it out between Guardians and Pirates wasn't ideal timing, and I think Ridley overrated how much interest there would be in prequels to the Alien series, that answered questions few were really asking. If Blomkamp's film did come out, I'm convinced it would fare a lot better than Covenant has.

I'm not so sure, Blomkamp's 'vision' was truly dreadful. The very last thing I would want to see is an Aliens clone, particularly one that brings characters back from the dead and ignores Alien 3, one of the best in the series.

Quote from: windebieste on May 30, 2017, 11:43:40 AM
I really don't care what you think of me. 

1986 is history and so is Blomkamp's proposal.  Blomkamp's movie isn't going to happen - the real 'train wreck' has been averted.  Thank God for that.  it's not coming out.

'ALIEN: Covenant' is a great addition to the series.  It will find its footing - it will take time but it will happen. 

-Windebieste.

I believe it will too, its just ahead of its time. Blomkamp's film would have been a complete disaster, it was just moronic fan service to those who still cry about Hicks and Newt.

Naf Neila

Naf Neila

@windebieste

The only pitiful thing here is your choice of words that insults fans of Ellen Ripley and the first two movies

Corporal Hicks

Can we take it down a notch please, fellas. We're all fans here. No need to be disrespectful to each other.

Saggit

Saggit

I liked this movie, as an sci-fi film. But as an Alien movie it's average. They should take it away from Scott before he screws lore even more. He had his masterpiece in 1979 and I will be forever greatful to him for that movie. But as of Prometheus he got carried away and it didn't do anything good for the franchise. He is like mythical (I'm sure he would love that comparison) Cronos - eating his own child (namely Alien). He made the most mysterious and fascinating monster ever into an experiment outcome of an android. And all this deacon, protomorph, neomorph, trilobite, black goo bullshit...ehhhh...On the other hand he actually came on top with this movie after a mess that he have done in Prometheus. Still it is a cool movie. Nothing more.

FiorinaFury161

When I viewed it on opening weekend, there were a grand total of ten people in the theater. Kinda nice, actually.

Rankles75

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on May 30, 2017, 12:10:47 PM
When I viewed it on opening weekend, there were a grand total of ten people in the theater. Kinda nice, actually.

I went to see it at my local cinema about 5 days after it's release, and there were about 5-6 people there...

MrRipley

MrRipley

Ridley Scott should have kept his mouth shut,now all we have is potential,see how it does b4 you say there are 3 or 4 more films b4 the 79 Alien,now we'll just be left with this and a messed up timeline for the 2 stone cold classics,this film if it gets no follow up and prometheus just mudded the legacy.

LiquidMonster

I didn't mean to set off a firestorm of negativity with my post re: bringing up Blomkamp's ALIEN V. We are all fans here and like different aspects of the franchise. I despise 3 and Resurrection while there are those who love 3 and 2 people out there who like Resurrection.  :P

You have to admit that 20th Century Fox got a whirlwind of MASSIVE POSITIVE PUBLICITY when Neil released his proposed ALIEN V concept story images and they used that along with Ridley Scott to miscalculate(IMHO) fans wanted to see another ALIEN movie without Weaver. 

So Fox and Scott hurried things up with a Prometheus sequel when it was looking like it wasn't going to happen.

So Ridley should be thanking Neil for Alien: Covenant because it got people talking about ALIEN again. Fox greenlit A:C based on Neil's popular/positive ALIEN V concept story with Weaver, Biehn, possibly Henrikson and an older Newt actress. Nobody will convince me otherwise. For all intents and purposes, "Prometheus 2" was dead until Neil Blomkamp "resurrected" the "ALIEN" talk. Quite funny really. Cheers!

Kane's other son

By the way, that's what Lance Henriksen looks like now.

FallenDarkAngel

Quote from: Rankles75 on May 30, 2017, 12:12:02 PM
Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on May 30, 2017, 12:10:47 PM

I went to see it at my local cinema about 5 days after it's release, and there were about 5-6 people there...

On the first time viewing (May 15 in PHL) on IMAX (although not in 3D) and last full show, there were 15 people inside including my family.

The second viewing on a regular cinema (May 22), there were about 20-25 people inside.

FiorinaFury161

Denton Smalls

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 30, 2017, 10:30:22 AM
Look on my box office, ye execs, and despair

😂 😂 😂

LiquidMonster

Lance addressed this at the 30th Anniversary ALIENS panel last year. It seemed like he was pitching to get into Blomkamp's movie(which at the time was causing massive positive publicity for Fox and the Alien franchise) by saying his appearance wouldn't need changing because Bishop was designed to grow old with his crew-Ripley, Hicks, etc to make them feel more comfortable and "not out of place". I thought it was a great idea.

Kane's other son

So, you are already jumping through a series of hoops to justify the narrative:

- Alien 3 and Resurrection were dreams, that's why Ripley, Hicks and Newt are still around.
- Bishop was designed to grow old, that's why he looks like he's 80.
- The derelict was not destroyed in the nuclear blast, that's why we have more aliens running around.

It's fan fiction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed