Marathon (Bungie)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 25, 2023, 11:08:51 AM

Author
Marathon (Bungie) (Read 990 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quotea massive ghost ship hangs in low orbit over a lost colony on tau ceti iv. the 30,000 souls who call this place home have disappeared without a trace. strange signals hint at mysterious artifacts, long-dormant ai, and troves of untold riches. you are a runner, venturing into the unknown in a fight for fame... and infamy. who among you will write their names across the stars?

Really not sure how I'm feeling about the idea of re-interpreting Marathon as an "extraction shooter" (I was really, really hoping that after the "living game" elements of Destiny 2 burnt me out and ended up forcing me to give up on the game a couple years back, this game would be Bungie going back to delivering a proper single player campaign experience). Alas, I guess that isn't meant to be here, unfortunately... Right off the bat, the visual style here doesn't exactly scream Marathon to me, but it does very much feel like a new branch of that core Bungie design philosophy that birthed the original Marathon trilogy, Bungie's Halo games, and Destiny, and I'm really digging the style as presented in the teaser on its own two feet.

Given its "extraction shooter" gameplay style, I don't know how into this new game I'm going to be (I wouldn't be shocked if I end up loving the world, the design, etc. but get burnt out on the gameplay/persistent world elements as ended up happening with Destiny), but it's definitely something I'm going to keep my eye on as it develops at the very least.

The news also prompted me to download the original Marathon trilogy again (downloadable for free officially here), which I played a ton of a while back, but never actually properly finished. I think I'm going to try to go through the three games in full this time around. I absolutely love the cryptic mode of storytelling via the terminals and the environment around you in these original games.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Marathon's corpse being puppeteered's all I see here. Really disappointed. 

Stitch

Stitch

When I heard about the new Marathon I was interested. Then I saw the trailer and was waiting for the point where it started to look like Marathon.

Still waiting.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I like the aesthetics, really gorgeous, but I wanted a bloody campaign.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

When I think of the cool artwork that accompanied the original Marathon games that were clear forerunners (no pun intended) to Halo and Destiny, and heard the rumours of a reboot, I was *SO* excited... but this appears to be Marathon in name only...they need to dial-back those bold colours too... this seems a missed opportunity 😔 but I'll keep an open mind until gameplay is shown.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Not usually one to post this video type, but this time it is sadly quite warranted.

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

We'll that just f**king suck

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Any chance 343 will scoop any of them up?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed