12 (29.3%)
Simply Terrible
21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Pacific Rim films (Read 944,830 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't think there would be that many conventional weapons that would do that much damage.  It would have to be some sort of armored bunker buster or sabot round in my mind to do damage. 

We know they are pretty thick skinned because they come out of the portal in hundreds of feet deep of water and all that pressure.  I always assumed it was the Mariana trench which would mean they also have either a really great internal pressure relief body design or they are just tough bastards and take it.

They also survive jets crashing on their body without it registering to the creature and Jaeger "2500 tons of awesome," punches to the face.  That's like taking a crashing 747 to the grill every swing.

Not to mention the toughest class survived a nuke. 

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 12, 2013, 08:20:23 AM
I don't think there would be that many conventional weapons that would do that much damage.  It would have to be some sort of armored bunker buster or sabot round in my mind to do damage. 

We know they are pretty thick skinned because they come out of the portal in hundreds of feet deep of water and all that pressure.  I always assumed it was the Mariana trench which would mean they also have either a really great internal pressure relief body design or they are just tough bastards and take it.

They also survive jets crashing on their body without it registering to the creature and Jaeger "2500 tons of awesome," punches to the face.  That's like taking a crashing 747 to the grill every swing.

Not to mention the toughest class survived a nuke.
No.

No bro.

The real world would discover a way to kill those things sans giant robots within 20 mins. and you wonuldn't like it.
and the magic would be gone.
and the monster would be dead.

and so it would go........

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Deep down I already know. 

Especially since............................. I drive one of these.

Spoiler
[close]

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

It would be very not-magical, bro. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I dunno, the story could follow a private who was sent to look for Grid Squares when the Kaiju attacks and has to return in time to push a button in the himars to kill the kaiju.

Will he make it back in time.......

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 12, 2013, 08:32:41 AM
I dunno, the story could follow a private who was sent to look for Grid Squares when the Kaiju attacks and has to return in time to push a button in the himars to kill the kaiju.

Will he make it back in time.......

Those missiles would penetrate the hide of the innocent, exploratory beast with great assholishness,

Rong

Rong

Were at $344,170,000   

and that before the this weekend in Japan and Brazil are added, pushing close to the magic number of 380mil.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 11, 2013, 11:41:58 PM
You like its effects? Cool. The other film had pretty CGI, too. I rated Idris Elba's turn as about on the same level as Jon Voigt's. I did, however, find the older film's music more memorable and emotionally engaging. No masterpiece, but neither was 'Jurassic Park' - just fun entertainment.

I don't mean to jack here, but Jurassic Park was a definite masterpiece. It revolutionized movies as it proved CG was something worth exploring and the direction was spot-on.

Prime113

Prime113

..........People on this site, jesus.

It seems China, which sucks in a way, is gonna be the foreign power to get it to 380. I take it there are no more substantial country's it has yet to be released in?

orchidal

orchidal

Im with Magegg on this one for once. Definately creepy...

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Prime113 on Aug 12, 2013, 05:37:54 PM
..........People on this site, jesus.

It seems China, which sucks in a way, is gonna be the foreign power to get it to 380. I take it there are no more substantial country's it has yet to be released in?

Yeah, based off the link Rong gave me, Pacific Rim was tracking for about a 2-4 million weekend opening in Japan.

And is Warner Brothers/Legendary pictures really only going to be able to collect 15-40% of the Chinese box office revenue for Pacific Rim?  ???

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Rong on Aug 12, 2013, 12:12:54 AM
No but in Pacific as has been pointed out before is much like starwars in the way it homages, it elevates the source material and treats it with respect as i pointed out previously

That doesn't change the fact that a movie's quality doesn't hinge on tributes. If anything, too many can restrict it.

One could even argue that homeage-fixation could have hurt 'Pacific Rim' in the robotic/creature design, due to wanting to stick so closely to the old movies, rather than being more iconic and exotic.

QuoteThere's a difference between homage and rip off.

Indeed. And films like 'The Matrix' are meant to be rife with it - but I enjoy 'The Matrix' for what it is, not because it included parts where it copied from elsewhere. Same goes for 'Alien'.

QuoteNo i'm judging it fairly perhaps too fairly, i wont be rewatching a glorified car commercial, where the robots have more character than majority of the actual cast.

You realise someone could replace 'car' with 'toy' and aim that exact accusation at 'Pacific Rim', right? ;)

Enjoy PR for what it is, but the moment you say Bay's effort was no good by comparison, you're treading a very awkward line...

Quote from: Master on Aug 12, 2013, 07:53:37 AM
The one Slattern survived was bigest nuke ever made...

Which, in itself, doesn't really make any sense. :) But as I say, if it survived one, then keep on firing. Or use penetrators laced with toxins. Or use acoustic or microwave weapons. Or... Ad infinitum!

If there's one thing our species has proven excellent at, it's coming up with ingenious methods of killing things made out of flesh and bone. The one reason why it strikes a lot of scientists as laughable when sci-fi movies have the enemy show up in 'biomechanical' spaceships, which would technically be a lot easier to destroy than ones with thick metal armour.

QuoteStill, nuking ocean on regular basis would make it so radiated, you need no portal for gigant monsters in short time  :D

No seriously nuking ocean is not good idea.

But I do agree with Xenomorphine there was no conventional weapons as support for Jaegers.

It's actually a lot safer to go swimming around in something like a spent nuclear fuel pool than most people imagine. As it turns out, water is really good for shielding against radiation.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/29/

You have to understand how radiation works. It's emitting like radio waves. If it irradiates water, it's because the water is containing particles of something else. The water, itself? Totally safe.

So, if you have, say, a broken fuel rod under the water, it's not the radiation field you have to worry about. It's the radioactive waste particles inside of the fuel rod which are leaking out into the water - that's what's irradiated. Not the surrounding water.

As they've already nuked the portal, it means all the sand particles on the bed (local to that specific area) are already irradiated. Nuking it again won't make any difference. So, to all intents and purposes, patrolling he area with nuclear torpedo-armed submarines, able to fire them off from a safe distance, could do their thing as much as they like. The water's going to act as a shield, not spread the radiation around like oil.

So, in a weird way, the aliens' choice of location for their exit portal made it easier to get constantly nuked, not harder... :laugh:

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 12, 2013, 08:20:23 AM

A lot of deep ocean species are very thin-skinned. What would crush a submarine hull doesn't necessarily apply to, say, a tiny squid, because the submarine's full of air.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 12, 2013, 12:41:25 PM
I don't mean to jack here, but Jurassic Park was a definite masterpiece. It revolutionized movies as it proved CG was something worth exploring and the direction was spot-on.

The set scenes were very good, but I never for a moment thought it would win any awards for the acting. :) A masterpiece needs to be perfection in just about every respect.

'Jaws', on the other hand, by the same director, could be said to be better in some aspects JP didn't quite do as well (even though most people would regard JP as more of an obvious visual spectacle).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed