Simply Terrible
21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Pacific Rim films (Read 944,977 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 02, 2013, 03:59:01 PM
I guess the thing is when people sit around making props, sets, suits, masks etc...it gives the film more life, people have used real craftsmanship and natural talent to create beautiful artistic results. Perfect example 'Labyrinth', a simply stunning film that still holds its own today.

CGI is simply a bunch of computer nerds sitting around desks clicking away on their computers, its not even THAT skilled because the computer does the friggin work for you! like spell checker lol!. I cannot get excited that much over CGI because end of the day its not really skilled and anyone can probably do it with lessons.

Um, no. Just no.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

While I do agree that too many movies use CGI as a crutch (Jor-El has a dragon? Why? Because he can!) saying that CGI requires no skill to pull of well is not only ignorant, but it is insulting to the hundreds of artists who work their asses off to create visual wizardry that they often get no real credit for.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

....this is some real ignorant shit.

SMH.

NotSafeZone

NotSafeZone

*whistles* And here I thought that kind of ignorance went the way of the Dodo. :-X

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Alienseseses on Jul 02, 2013, 05:10:25 PM
While I do agree that too many movies use CGI as a crutch (Jor-El has a dragon? Why? Because he can!) saying that CGI requires no skill to pull of well is not only ignorant, but it is insulting to the hundreds of artists who work their asses off to create visual wizardry that they often get no real credit for.

Amen.

A lot of bad films use CGI, doesn't mean it's a bad tool.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Alienseseses on Jul 02, 2013, 05:10:25 PM(Jor-El has a dragon? Why? Because he can!)

But H'Raka was awesome. :o

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Jul 02, 2013, 03:30:55 PM
King Kong rip off! f**k this shit!

Obviously King Kong was an amazingly original creature design that had a lot of thought put into it.

Spoiler
King Kong ripped off nature with the glee of a 10 year old saying "just like a gorilla.. but way bigger!". f**k that racist-ass shit movie :laugh:
[close]

Bonus gorilla image.
Spoiler
[close]

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Alien³ on Jul 02, 2013, 10:36:20 AM
Cvalda, bring up Transformers if you will but you know as well as I that those CGI effects are all ground breaking
Groundbreakingly ugly, sure.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Sorry but yes, seeing the kind of work and skills used when creating films like 'Legend' 'Labyrinth' 'Star Wars' 'Ghostbusters' etc...(in featurettes) far outweigh a bunch of people sitting in an office full of computers pfft! modern gen  ::)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 02, 2013, 05:51:47 PM
Sorry but yes, seeing the kind of work and skills used when creating films like 'Legend' 'Labyrinth' 'Star Wars' 'Ghostbusters' etc...far outweigh a bunch of people sitting in an office full of computers pfft! modern gen  ::)

You once again demonstrate that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 02, 2013, 05:52:45 PM
Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 02, 2013, 05:51:47 PM
Sorry but yes, seeing the kind of work and skills used when creating films like 'Legend' 'Labyrinth' 'Star Wars' 'Ghostbusters' etc...far outweigh a bunch of people sitting in an office full of computers pfft! modern gen  ::)

You once again demonstrate that you have no idea what you're talking about.

So you think those noted films don't compare to someone sitting on a computer using CGI?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The point here is that CGI -- GOOD CGI -. is not easy at all. The computer does not 'do everything' for you. Ask anyone who actually works on the field.

Yes, many films mis-use the technique with mediocre to even bad results. Doesn't mean the technique by itself is bad.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jul 02, 2013, 04:02:22 PM

:laugh:

Quote from: Alien³ on Jul 02, 2013, 05:17:51 PM
A lot of bad films use CGI, doesn't mean it's a bad tool.

Yep! It's horses for courses, these days. A lot of practical effects get blamed for being CGI, even when they're not and vice versa! 'Resident Evil' and the Licker creature would be a case in point - often accused of being CGI, but was practical. A lot of people still think 'Alien 3' used complete CGI, too, when it was just the cracking dome where that was used.

What a lot of new directors need to learn is when to effectively employ one technique over another. The prequel to 'The Thing' is another example, where a more ideal balance was planned, but where the superior practical effects got completely replaced in a lot of cases, instead of just augmented. The practical stuff which ADI came up with? Stunningly realistic.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

So there are people here that won't see a movie if there is CGI in it? That seems awfully limiting in the choice of film genres since mostly all recent sci-fi movies have CGI.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Give me hands on any day, 'Blade Runner'  ;D

I think films like Gladiator and other historical epics show how CGI can work well, landscapes, crowds, skylines, cityscapes, armies etc...in general stuff like that looks very good.

But I just think...and I know people here will freak, I just think CGI is kinda lazy, saves people getting their hands dirty and having to actually do proper graft hehe ;) Again I refer back to 'Labyrinth' and 'Legend'.

You can just imagine how 'Labyrinth' would look if it were made today  ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed