12 (29.3%)
Simply Terrible
21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Pacific Rim films (Read 945,084 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Maybe I've just watched way too much Trek in my time, but I don't see how any of the kaiju come even remotely close to "generic humanoid" or any such nonsense. If you mean the basic four limbs and a head a structure, then the xeno falls under that category too.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I hear GN of Pacific Rim is not very good at all. People on FB have been saying it's awful.

ace3g

ace3g

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 10, 2013, 11:58:24 AM
Why you would deliberately want to go down the 'generic humanoid monster' route, when the point of this is to do it with the kind of budget and techniques which weren't available in the fifties and sixties...  I dunno', seems like a contradiction/wasted opportunity to me.

It's simply out of a love for the original Kaiju flicks. All the monsters are meant to "look" as if they could easily be worn by a man in a suit. :P And with the exception of the flying kaiju's.... they do. :P

Knifehead suit would be the best Halloween suit of all times.

Of all Times.  :P

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Yeah, i think the design... actually the entire movie is an ode to the early monster movies, so I get why they are "going down that route" as you say. Besides that's what makes the cgi work more original in a way, since normally everything has to look as realistic as possible, like clover...... having a huge totally fantasy looking and bulky creature has got it's charm. At least as long not every mext movie follows that recipe.

It's just a wonder this thing got greenlit at all so I'm pretty thankful no matter how oldschool the creatures look

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SiL on Jun 10, 2013, 12:05:04 PM
Not really :-\ The Predator really is just a guy with no nose or ears and a messed up mouth. Well executed, sure, but spectacularly inhuman is difficult to argue when the actor's own eyes are used for the creature's. The Alien's head might be inhuman, but the rest of it is basically a dude who got thrown up on by a car. Beautifully artistically done, of course, but still unquestionably a dude in a suit.

That's why I referenced them in regards, specifically, to heads. :)

QuoteMost of which required extensive CGI additions or rig removals anyway.

Gillis and co have said they could have done fully animatronic stuff. They did it the way it was done, purely to have it augmented by CGI for the transformations (and, obviously, the producers decided to do much more than that in post-production). But there's a full-size suit for things like the (eventually unused) pilot. I think one of them even set themselves on fire for something wasn't ultimately used.

Point is, man-in-suit stuff can be as outrageous as you like, these days. Providing you have the budget to pay for it.

Indeed, just go back to original carpenter movie for totally non-CGI Lovecraftian-like visuals done in practical effects and suits.

Honestly, if they're doing this specifically as a kind of homage, then good for them. I'd say they've achieved that, absolutely. But if they're going all out with the budget, what's the harm in going to town with at least one of the creature designs, considering there are meant to be... What? Eight or so? Something really iconic instead of a relatively conventional Godzilla-alike with a few extra horns stuck on it.

Quote from: Tangakkai on Jun 10, 2013, 05:51:37 PM
Yeah, i think the design... actually the entire movie is an ode to the early monster movies, so I get why they are "going down that route" as you say. Besides that's what makes the cgi work more original in a way, since normally everything has to look as realistic as possible, like clover...... having a huge totally fantasy looking and bulky creature has got it's charm. At least as long not every mext movie follows that recipe.

It's just a wonder this thing got greenlit at all so I'm pretty thankful no matter how oldschool the creatures look

Funny thing about 'Cloverfield', actually. If it wasn't for the much more interesting arachnid-like creatures in that, the main one wouldn't have done anything for me - and my viewing experience had have suffered much more for it.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 10, 2013, 06:25:25 PM
But there's a full-size suit for things like the (eventually unused) pilot.
The Pilot was a rod-puppet animatronic. :)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Hmm... What's the suit he's wearing with the big mantis-like limbs, laying on its side? The version in the ice?

Whatever that one was, it was still a suit. :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 10, 2013, 06:54:08 PM
Hmm... What's the suit he's wearing with the big mantis-like limbs, laying on its side? The version in the ice?
Aye, the Ice Block Thing.

NotSafeZone

NotSafeZone

I think the saying "Just because they can do it like this, doesn't mean they have to do it like this" can easily apply to why they went with what they did. The vast majority of the time (and, boy, do I mean vast), kaiju do not look like the Lovecraftian horrors that you are affectionate of, Xenomorphine, and Del Toro chose to keep with that tradition.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: NotSafeZone on Jun 10, 2013, 07:50:21 PM
I think the saying "Just because they can do it like this, doesn't mean they have to do it like this" can easily apply to why they went with what they did. The vast majority of the time (and, boy, do I mean vast), kaiju do not look like the Lovecraftian horrors that you are affectionate of, Xenomorphine, and Del Toro chose to keep with that tradition.

Doesn't matter. The vast majority of people who see this (who are going to be the same kind of demographic which the likes of 'Transformers 3' are aimed at) might recognise it's influenced by those old Japanese films, but few are going to care whether it adheres to their formulas. Besides which, creature features of old were more than 'Godzilla' movies.

Like I said, I hope it does well, it's just that the creature designs feel uninspired/underwhelming to me, considering what they could have been for the same money. In the same way as those behind the designs of 'Prometheus' got what they were aiming for with the hammerpede, etcetera, but as a movie, those parts of it didn't entertain me very much. I felt very been-there-done-that with what I was seeing on screen.

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised, though.

Samayel

Samayel

Read somewhere Del Torro and crew deliberately reigned in the kaiju designs and gave them recognisable animalistic qualities, but went crazy on the category 5. 

Ryu

Ryu

Preview of the prequel comic. Have spoiler.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Ryu on Jun 10, 2013, 08:57:52 PM
Preview of the prequel comic. Have spoiler.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Me gusta.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Samayel on Jun 10, 2013, 08:56:32 PM
Read somewhere Del Torro and crew deliberately reigned in the kaiju designs and gave them recognisable animalistic qualities, but went crazy on the category 5.

'Category 5'...?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed