Zeta 2 Reticuli is not necessarily the star system...

Started by FenGiddel, Dec 22, 2016, 04:34:02 PM

Author
Zeta 2 Reticuli is not necessarily the star system... (Read 1,477 times)

FenGiddel

Zeta 2 Reticuli is not necessarily the star system in which the Nostromo found the derelict spacecraft.

Despite the published evidence otherwise, it does not seem certain that the planetoid, on which the Nostromo set down, is in the Zeta II Reticuli system.

In the 1979 sf-horror film, Alien, the Nostromo is diverted to investigate a transmission on its way back to Earth. When the crew scan the area, the navigator (Lambert) states the following (cited by source):

ON-SCREEN:
LAMBERT. I found it. Just short of Zeta II Reticuli. We haven't even reached the outer rim yet. [Alien. Dir. Ridley Scott. Perf. Sigourney Weaver, Ian Holm, Tom Skerritt. 20th Century Fox, 1979.]

IN THE SCREENPLAY:
LAMBERT Found it. Just short of Zeta II Reticuli. We haven't even reached the outer rim yet. [Hill, Walter and David Giler. Alien. Revised Final Script. Oct. 4, 1978.]

IN THE NOVELIZATION:
Several minutes of intense searching and computer-cooperation produced a tight grin of satisfaction on her face. "Found it . . . and us. We're just short of Zeta II Reticuli. We haven't even reached the outer populated ring yet. Too deep to grab onto a navigation beacon, let alone a Sol traffic relay." [Foster, Alan Dean, Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shusett, and H. Roberts. Alien. New York: Warner , 1979. Print. p. 23]

Based on this evidence, it seems that the Nostromo exited hyperspace "just short of Zeta II Reticuli", but then proceeded to the source of the transmission elsewhere, apparently in a nearby star system, probably minor.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah... The line is meant to imply that they exited hyper sleep just short of Zeti II reticuli, then proceeded onward to zeti II reticuli where LV-426 and the signal was located.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: FenGiddel1214 on Dec 22, 2016, 04:34:02 PM
Based on this evidence, it seems that the Nostromo exited hyperspace "just short of Zeta II Reticuli", but then proceeded to the source of the transmission elsewhere, apparently in a nearby star system, probably minor.

Star systems aren't like tract houses so why would Mother drop the Nostromo out of FTL "just short of Zeta 2 Reticuli" if the transmission source was somewhere else?  It takes years to travel between neighboring star systems at sublight speeds.

SM

Yeah.  There's a star, and a planet orbiting it and moons orbiting the planet.  The next nearest star is Zeta 1 Reticuli, and if they were going there, Lambert probably would've mentioned it.  The next nearest star after that is light years away.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: FenGiddel1214 on Dec 22, 2016, 04:34:02 PM[Foster, Alan Dean, Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shusett, and H. Roberts. Alien. New York: Warner , 1979. Print. p. 23]

Who's this guy?

FenGiddel

Cover artist.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Well, I go along with the idea that Zeta II Reticuli was just supposed to be a known star system along their route home, when they were making Alien and wherever the planetoid was orbiting, was just a star with a catalogue number.

Local Trouble

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Feb 28, 2017, 02:16:12 PM
Well, I go along with the idea that Zeta II Reticuli was just supposed to be a known star system along their rout home, when they were making Alien and wherever the planetoid was orbiting, was just a star with a catalogue number.

That's not a bad idea.  In fact, I actually prefer it since that would make certain issues with Prometheus easier to reconcile.

SM?

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 28, 2017, 04:10:20 PM
Well, I go along with the idea that Zeta II Reticuli was just supposed to be a known star system along their rout home, when they were making Alien and wherever the planetoid was orbiting, was just a star with a catalogue number.

That's not a bad idea.  In fact, I actually prefer it since that would make certain issues with Prometheus easier to reconcile.

SM?

And when they made Alien, they really didn't have an idea where exactly the planetary star system was supposed to be, and the man who painted the backdrop with all the gas planets and the planetoids certainly did not have the information given to him that it was supposed to be orbiting Zeta II Reticuli.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 28, 2017, 04:10:20 PM

SM?

I don't understand the question.

Local Trouble

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed