Recent posts

Falling in love with an android (concept of so-called the Other) makes the movie way more interesting. Without this sub-plot BR wouldn't be such a great film.
Quote from: Ingwar on Today at 07:26:23 PMIt's a (neo) noir film. Falling in love with femme fatale is one of its trophies.

Everyone knows that.
It's a (neo) noir film. Falling in love with femme fatale is one of its trophies.

QuoteThe Fading Femme Fatale in Contemporary Genre Films

Blade Runner's Rachel (Sean Young) is visually coded as a femme fatale, with a distinctive dress, hair, make-up and clothing that also sets her apart from other women in the film. Her attraction to Deckard (Harrison Ford), her uncertain alignment, and her ability to kill when necessary are consistent with the femme fatale. Her identification as a replicant should make her an enemy, but she does not appear to share the other replicants' desires, or at least have sympathy with their methods, so Deckard's decision not to kill her is understandable. In addition, his moral code is not challenged by letting her live, as killing replicants is his job as an agent of the state, something he was not given any choice in, not an action in support of his personal morality. Rachel's decision to leave Tyrell, her maker/father (although she probably was more in the role of mistress), and enter into a relationship with Deckard, the man who sees her as she really is, is essentially the dependent daughter growing up and moving from the father's house to the husband's. This is not the action of an independent woman. The origami unicorn at the end suggests innocence and links her to Deckard's dream, (and suggests that Graff is aware of Deckard thoughts as a replicant) but the symbolism is awkward. The unicorn is a fierce beast that is partial to laying its head in the lap of a female virgin, after which it becomes tame and can be captured. Thus it can be read that Rachel has captured the once free running Deckard. However, he appears to be protecting her. When she kills Leon, this is the element of the couple working together on the investigation, but in the context of the film this is an action that reinforces Deckard as a danger primarily to women. This should make his affection for her more difficult, yet he never seems to struggle with his decision to save her.

https://covell.ca/the-fading-femme-fatale-in-contemporary-genre-films/
Recreational Area / Re: Just Talk.
Last post by Acid_Reign161 - Today at 07:20:20 PM
The universe certainly has a way of sending clear signs...

So yesterday, after posting in the Alien Romulus thread a quick rough doodle of a xeno head, I realised I'd forgotten how happy/relaxing art can be; as a teen/pre-reen, I used to sketch and draw all of the time (mostly xenos copied from dark horse comics)... it was a passion... then life happened, and I've never really picked up a pencil for the last 25 years, beyond doodling with a biro in lectures when bored a few years back.. The thought crossed my mind now and then the last couple of years about trying to learn how to colour in layers on photoshop etc, but as quick as the thought came I'd be wrapped up in whatever was happening in the moment (work/uni/health) and forget about it... yesterday, even though it was only a quick two minutes, felt so calming and... well, happy.. to be sketching a xeno again. I told my partner I was thinking of starting art again, maybe once my PhD thesis is wrapped up this year...

Anyways, that got me thinking about lots of (kind of unrelated) things I hadn't thought about in years... a had a teacher in primary/junior school.. he was the art teacher... (now this may sound weird in current age/climate, but back then we knew all the teachers in first name basis, and they were more like friends... our school was close like that) he was like a father figure to me, always invested a lot of time.. he used to loan me Star Trek /sci fi VHS tapes etc (which is how a got into a lot of stuff) he made me a Blake's 7 federation handgun in his spare time etc, and as I got older into teens, we kept contact and (as fellow video collectors) would look out for titles each other were missing and do trades etc... anyways, like with lots of things, at some point in late teens, life happened, I ended up hanging with friends a lot, going out..eventually met someone and moved away..I don't even remember when it happened, but at some point, I just stopped visiting (it never crossed my mind at the time) and I've never seen him in 20-odd years.. but it was on my mind yesterday... probably triggered by thinking about art..and I was telling my fiancée about him, and pondering (hoping!) he was still alive, as id love to have a catch up one I finish uni etc... random thoughts, random convo...

Just a minute ago, I received a text from my mother out of the blue..never mentioned any of this to her at any point) she told me back at my hometown, she just bumped into him and his wife at the marina cafe... he was looking at the art on the walls and said to my mother "Jonathan(that's me) and I could fill these walls between us.. does he still enjoy doing art?"

If that wasn't the universe sending a message literally a day later, I'm not sure what is. 😊 Think it's time to set aside some time to sketch (and catch up with friends!)
The Newborn was just a whole new concept, identified as such, not an evolution of the design of the xeno we all know. We knew it was a one shot thing, and that it would not reappear in any movies after that.
General Film/TV Discussion / Re: B-movie Thread
Last post by ace3g - Today at 07:14:20 PM
Recreational Area / Re: The Alien Dialogue Thread ...
Last post by TheDerelict - Today at 07:13:25 PM
Alright, I believe you, she's alive, but we gotta go, NOW.
Recreational Area / Re: The Alien Dialogue Thread ...
Last post by E. Shaw - Today at 07:09:58 PM
"How do I get out of this chicken chit outfit?" -Hudson, Aliens
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Today at 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Today at 05:45:51 PMIs Bruce Spence gonna be in this thing?

Need Bruce Spence in at least one more of these before all is said and done. Perhaps in Mad Max: The Wasteland...

He can pilot a blimp.  :laugh:
God I miss the days when you don't needed someone to have made the Xeno...
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed