Sigourney Weaver Says ‘Ship Has Sailed’ on Fifth ‘Alien’ Movie

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 26, 2023, 10:45:59 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver Says ‘Ship Has Sailed’ on Fifth ‘Alien’ Movie (Read 19,381 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2023, 09:18:19 AMI will start to put together an editorial on this in the next 3/4 months.

Color me VERY intrigued...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 27, 2023, 09:40:53 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2023, 09:18:19 AMI will start to put together an editorial on this in the next 3/4 months.

Will that include the stuff that's not been publicly revealed yet?

If the sources are cool with it. I need to go over the information I've got and get everything squared away. I've got a couple other pieces in the works already, so I'll start working on this in earnest once that's all sorted. I have been meaning to do this for ages (would you be surprised to know there's been an opening couple of paragraphs and a title in the drafts for years?)

SentryGun

This should be a great read! Looking forward to it.

Definitely believe a bullet dodged but would still love to read the story either in treatment or screenplay form (think Scott said there was no script though?) or as someone in this thread suggested a "What if" comic scenario.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2023, 09:18:19 AMI'm actually fine with this. As much as I wanted to see Michael Biehn back - and just have a new Alien film - I was always a little hesitant about the idea of an alternate sequel. And everything that I've learned about this project - both publicly, and not yet - has me very pleased we didn't get it. It's a dodged bullet imho. I will start to put together an editorial on this in the next 3/4 months.

Looking forward to the additional info! 😊

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2023, 09:18:19 AMI'm actually fine with this. As much as I wanted to see Michael Biehn back - and just have a new Alien film - I was always a little hesitant about the idea of an alternate sequel. And everything that I've learned about this project - both publicly, and not yet - has me very pleased we didn't get it. It's a dodged bullet imho. I will start to put together an editorial on this in the next 3/4 months.

I wonder if what some know will be ever released to the public. Like you, I wasn't happy with what I had learned about the project and where it was going. Maybe one day some of us can spill the beans. 🤐

Quote from: skhellter on Apr 27, 2023, 10:07:46 AM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Apr 27, 2023, 12:50:20 AMHonestly we dodged a bullet losing the Blompkamp project. He messed with set lore too much that would have pissed people off more than the Scott prequels did. It would have been a big mess.

From the stuff that is "public" it seemed like it would have served as an ending to the whole franchise (showing an ending to WY)....
being produced at the same time as Ridley is making prequels that aim at expanding lore and the world.

And Hollywood is notoriously averse to the idea of giving "endings" to long running franchises.

Maybe that's also part of the reason why it failed to launch.

The public stuff said that yes, but the stuff that some of us have learned would have negated a lot of what fans love. So I don't think it would have been an "ending" most would be satisfied with. It sounded whacky, campy, and after a while didn't feel like was even in the same franchise with what was established.

Nightmare Asylum

More and more I become curious about whatever this oddity would have been. Glad it didn't happen, but very very curious about, well, all of it.

Random question - do any of you that are in the know have any idea what this project was like in Blomkamp's original pitch, pre-Ripley and Hicks, before he pitched it to Sigourney on the set of Chappie? Was it essentially the same core concept but with original characters, or a different beast altogether?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2023, 11:21:49 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 27, 2023, 09:40:53 AM

Will that include the stuff that's not been publicly revealed yet?

If the sources are cool with it. I need to go over the information I've got and get everything squared away. I've got a couple other pieces in the works already, so I'll start working on this in earnest once that's all sorted. I have been meaning to do this for ages (would you be surprised to know there's been an opening couple of paragraphs and a title in the drafts for years?)

TheBATMAN

Can someone at least confirm it was a full, completed shooting script like Jim Cameron said or was it more just a detailed treatment that Ridley Scott alluded to?

TC

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Apr 27, 2023, 12:42:31 PMIt sounded whacky, campy, and after a while didn't feel like was even in the same franchise with what was established.

I'm usually pretty open to what new writers bring to the table but I don't like "whacky" and I don't like "campy." Blomkamp's movies always seem to skirt that edge - which is fine, that's his style- but for Alien? No.

When a long running franchise resorts to whacky and campy to make itself stand out, that's usually its death knell.

TC

Adam802

Shame, sounded better than anything we've gotten since 1992. Hope that Fede Alvarez movie turns out good.

MaXenaeL

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Good honestly.

When I asked both of my friends that just saw Alien and Aliens last night for the first time what they thought...

Despite both massively enjoying each picture, and I personally have never thought higher of Aliens than on the big screen, each said without prompt from me (I for once made a conscious effort to shut up) that they found Newt's behaviour unbelievable later on in Aliens, Lou commented it got overly saccharine and sweet, this being a guy who usually embodies the "uwu softboi" type stereotype, and Charlie could not stand how the camera often framed Ripley and Hicks together.

The audience for this alternate sequel, just in my experience, does not exist beyond a vocal group on the internet.

T Dog

If they want to tell this story they should just make it as a Graphic Novel. Like a lot of others here I'm glad it never saw the light of day as a movie, and feel we probably dodged a bullet.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Apr 27, 2023, 12:50:20 AMHonestly we dodged a bullet losing the Blompkamp project. He messed with set lore too much that would have pissed people off more than the Scott prequels did. It would have been a big mess.

Nothing about the story ever leaked into the public domain. The most we ever got was mostly the fandom making lots of random speculation about personal interpretation of some of the concept art. There isn't anything there to claim it would have "messed with set lore too much."

Voiding the third film, sure. But since 'Alien 3' already messed up continuity, itself...

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Apr 27, 2023, 10:38:59 AMEvery last thing about the Blomkamp project looked and sounded absolutely abysmal, from the cast (sorry but we don't need to go the 'Halloween Ends' route)

You want someone other than the original actors to show up as Ripley and Hicks? :) Aside from them, we have no idea who the casting would have involved.

Even that wasn't the original idea. It was going to be Ripley-less. Weaver's the one to blame or praise for that, before it changed. He would have been mad to refuse her assistance, though. It probably only got as far as it did, thanks to her.

Quotethe concept art that featured zero of the franchise's aesthetics (has the guy ever seen an Alien movie!?)

Would heavily disagree with that. The derelict concept art was very in keeping with the feel of the first two films. The mutational stuff felt like it had the vibe of the fourth film's cloning experiments, while there's one shot, of an Alien in the shadows of an air duct, which felt like it would have been right at home with Dallas' fate.

We also know Blomkamp outright stated that the presentation style would have emulated the 'Alien Isolation' game's, which everyone praised. If you're trying to get an idea of the aesthetics, just look the game up.

QuoteWhat I would say, is that the concept art would make for an acceptable Marvel Comic 'what-if' run similar to Gibson's Alien 3, but beyond that... let it die 😅

Concept art, by itself, is meaningless. I've said for ages that I'd be interested in the script being converted into a comic, however. Or, even better, audio dram. Then we could have actually got Weaver and Biehn (presumably also Henriksen, but who could really say) reprising their roles for it.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 27, 2023, 01:02:40 PMRandom question - do any of you that are in the know have any idea what this project was like in Blomkamp's original pitch, pre-Ripley and Hicks, before he pitched it to Sigourney on the set of Chappie? Was it essentially the same core concept but with original characters, or a different beast altogether?

Doubtful anyone's got that information who hasn't signed an NDA. We're still waiting for the script of 'Resurrection', where the lead was still a cloned Newt, so, wouldn't hold my breath!

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 27, 2023, 01:06:49 PMCan someone at least confirm it was a full, completed shooting script like Jim Cameron said or was it more just a detailed treatment that Ridley Scott alluded to?

Weaver and Cameron both referred to a script, specifically. Scott is on recored mentioning he had read at least a first draft script (and, to the best of my knowledge, treatments don't tend to go through multiple labelled drafts). Cameron, especially, is whose word/interpretation I'd trust regarding that, being as he's an actual successful scriptwriter, himself.

FWIW, Blomkamp mentioned more than one writer was involved, not solely himself. A lot of outlets have falsely reported otherwise.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2023, 04:42:15 PMNothing about the story ever leaked into the public domain. The most we ever got was mostly the fandom making lots of random speculation about personal interpretation of some of the concept art. There isn't anything there to claim it would have "messed with set lore too much."

I'm talking about things that haven't been given to the public yet. Things I wish I could elaborate on to paint a clearer picture.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed