Here is You Chance to Right The Ship If There is a Prometheus Sequel[Spoilers?]

Started by PROM3TH3US, Jun 01, 2012, 05:33:09 AM

Author
Here is You Chance to Right The Ship If There is a Prometheus Sequel[Spoilers?] (Read 3,590 times)

PROM3TH3US

PROM3TH3US

I know it's a bit early.  Let say the sequel is being green lit.  Where do you people want the movie to go from here.  I'm pretty sure this thread will be spoilers for people who haven't seen the movie yet. 

Cvalda

Firing Damon Lindelof for a start.
Hiring Hill & Giler to do the script.

Really, with the ending this film has, where can it go? Aside from dimensions of pure, overblown ludicrousness, anyway.

Winkie Bear

It would take some work to do anything from this foundation. In my opinion, making the SJs more human has made them more mundane. I would prefer some more alien weirdness to the SJs. I would also have liked to see the alien biota being more than just a gratuitous horror element (as I think it was in Prometheus) but as a facet of the SJ's tech.

Aceburster

As for the Prometheus angle you could throw a dart at a board full of Ancient Aliens episodes and come up with a sequel.

For anymore Alien explanation down the road
Spoiler
Davids disembodied head merges with a Space Jockey suit and births the first real Alien after running off to LV-426
[close]
I DARE THEM!!

mcj5644

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 05:35:22 AM
Firing Damon Lindelof for a start...

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 01, 2012, 05:39:56 AM
It would take some work to do anything from this foundation. In my opinion, making the SJs more human has made them more mundane. I would prefer some more alien weirdness to the SJs...

I concur.  I had always envisioned the "Space Jockey" entities as very exotic beings ... perhaps vaguely "humanoid" in overall form, but very much unlike us and not at all connected with the origin of humanity.  I'd like sentient and sapient beings that happen to also be utterly "alien," please.

Furthermore, the entire Erich von Däniken "ancient astronaut" angle was a gross misstep right from the start.  Can we just retcon that whole aspect right out of existence for the sequel(s)? 

Explain it away as an LSD-induced vision or something??? 

-MCJ

Eva

To think that exchanging the big humanoid engineers with the very alienesque Giger designs sans-suits and all, would rectify the issues most people have with Prometheus, is so far off the mark.

Of all the people I know who have now seen the film, all the reviews I've read and even most fanreviews I've read here, no one have any complaints about the engineer designs and how they were executed for this film. Quite to the contrary, it's one of the things about the film people enjoyed the most.

Imo, it essentially makes the whole 'this film is going to be f*cked, because it deals with ancient austronauts and they are big blue humanoids' discussion look pretty retarded and redundant, no matter how well argued some of the posts actually were.

Kev Loaf

I have no issue with humanoid engineers. I have a problem with how the engineer was used in the film, they turned him into a Space Jason Vorhees. Just another big monster stalking the crew when he should have been protrayed as an intelligent being, evil and dark.

Seriously just sad, I've seen the film now and I'm gutted. Was not expecting the film to be the secnd coming but hoped for more in terms of story. No doubt some will defend it saying that its setting itself for a sequel, but that's just a lame excuse.

atlantis

Just imagine this :)....

The Temple they examined was the temple, meant to travel to earth... so the Sj's  did have a humanoid look..to make us believe they where our "Gods"...

All the other temples ... where meant to travel to other planets... So those Sj's will have looked different...

So in fact a sequel can turn into so completely ALIEN as ALIEN can be :)....
We now have to wait who will bring back our beloved Gigeresque world....

mcj5644

Quote from: Eva on Jun 01, 2012, 06:41:37 AM

To think that exchanging the big humanoid engineers with the very alienesque Giger designs sans-suits and all, would rectify the issues most people have with Prometheus, is so far off the mark...

I don't reckon that anyone in this thread is making the argument that a mere "exchange" of creature designs, as you put it, would in and of itself improve this jumble of a film in any meaningful way.   Although, for the record, I am not a fan of the "big blue humanoid" approach adopted herein! ;)

Rather, in my estimation, the artistic/conceptual oversight regarding the "Space Jockey"/"Engineer" is but one of a myriad of flaws with the end product. 

The principal issue resides with the story itself, followed by: (1) the execution of said story, (2) largely expendable characters spouting inane dialogue, (3) the apparent editing of the film and, finally, (4) the unsatisfying dénouement.

-MCJ

NGR01

Don't put mystery just for the sake of it.

RoaryUK

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 05:35:22 AM
Firing Damon Lindelof for a start.
Hiring Hill & Giler to do the script.

Really, with the ending this film has, where can it go? Aside from dimensions of pure, overblown ludicrousness, anyway.

Yes definately agree there.... I mean I did enjoy the film, but there was plenty wrong with it, particularly in the last 20 minutes which didn't seemlike Ridley at all

timiteh

Well.
What if the engineer in Prometheus belongs to a primitive subspecies, engineered to deal with lesser space because the true engineers are so beyond and above us that they do not consider us as anything else than mere insects which need to be crushed by their "slaves" to whom belong the engineer of Prometheus.
That would be cool.
However i don't rely on Riddley and co, to correctly describe gods like being.
I would prefer JMS from Babylon 5.

aliennaire

Quote from: timiteh on Jun 01, 2012, 12:27:46 PM
Well.
What if the engineer in Prometheus belongs to a primitive subspecies, engineered to deal with lesser space because the true engineers are so beyond and above us that they do not consider us as anything else than mere insects which need to be crushed by their "slaves" to whom belong the engineer of Prometheus.
Frankly, I can't get rid of the notion blue creatures in Prometheus are some transitional life form between us and real creators... Flying saucer above the waterfall?

NGR01

It's not a saucer its an ALMOND shaped ship ;)

Well that could work it would be tough to swallow.
PROMETHEUS, Look these are our creators.
PROMETHEUS, Oh wait it's not actually them.
Very LOST indeed lets make up as we go along and see what fans come up with...

RoaryUK

I still can't get over Shaw and David taking off in another Juggernaught, I mean surely they could have come up with something better, like maybe the one that crashed had a lifeboat or something, even the Prometheus had a lifeboat, I really didnt like the way it just crashed and was useless like that

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed