Prometheus – trial run for Ridleys next masterpiece – blade runner 2 ?

Started by proicioaway, May 30, 2012, 07:27:44 PM

Author
Prometheus – trial run for Ridleys next masterpiece – blade runner 2 ? (Read 1,692 times)

proicioaway

Ridley publicly stated numerous times that he felt hesitant about doing another SF film; he felt all possible SF stories have been done, and there was 'nothing new' in the genre.

Along comes Prometheus, from what we can now see a visually stunning, but albeit somewhat flawed film. Not what i personally expected from Ridley. 

So I have a theory:

-   Maybe Ridley does not see Alien as his premier work – his master piece is Blade Runner.

-   To Ridley, starting a new Prometheus franchise and filling in all Alien plot holes is less important that making his next masterpiece, Blade Runner 2, a stunning final masterpiece

-   After 30 year SF hiatus, Prometheus is a trial run to see how to engage the next generation of young audiences with retro material – that's why the long line up of characters, trailer overload and web based movie tie-ins. Movie making in 21st century style.

Or maybe the explanation is way simpler - Prometheus is a layer cake – it has to be watched a number of times to fully appreciate the multiple plot arcs.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: proicioaway on May 30, 2012, 07:27:44 PM
Or maybe the explanation is way simpler - Prometheus is a layer cake – it has to be watched a number of times to fully appreciate the multiple plot arcs.

Probably that :P I doubt he'd go through all the trouble of making a film just to see if he should make another film.

NGR01

Next mastrepiece?
Lets just pause for a moment and see the movie before talking about masterpiece ;)

Ash 937

I would resent it if Prometheus was considered to be a "trail run" for another Sci-fi film by Ridley.  I don't think that's a very good label...

FYI, there is already a Blade Runner sequel thread on the General Film Discussion board.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

After all the talk Scott has done I can't see Prometheus being anytihing other than his intended masterpiece. While I'm not entirely convinced these problems we're hearing about are all Scott's fault anyway, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the film, but if this does go tits up at the box office I would be embaressed if I were him.  Nothing should be more important than this film, it's supposed to be his benchmark return to sci-fi, if he had any doubts he shouldn't have done at all and certainly shouldn't touch Blade Runner.

RagingDragon

Quote from: RoaryUK on May 31, 2012, 07:10:55 AM
After all the talk Scott has done I can't see Prometheus being anytihing other than his intended masterpiece. While I'm not entirely convinced these problems we're hearing about are all Scott's fault anyway, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the film, but if this does go tits up at the box office I would be embaressed if I were him.  Nothing should be more important than this film, it's supposed to be his benchmark return to sci-fi, if he had any doubts he shouldn't have done at all and certainly shouldn't touch Blade Runner.

Bingo, dude. :laugh:

Samayel

If Bladerunner 2 is to Bladerunner as Prometheus is to Alien I hope the movie never sees the light of day. I realy hope my negative view of Prometheus mellows, I so wanted to love this movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed