A Father's Pride ~ A Short Story

Started by Son of Yautja, Sep 01, 2009, 06:50:28 PM

Author
A Father's Pride ~ A Short Story (Read 1,848 times)

Son of Yautja

Posted this on another site, but a 'friend' tells me this is the better site for fan fiction and all things AVP! Enjoy  ;D

A father's pride ~ By Son of Yautja

"Stop hitting him honey, he's had enough!"  The woman screamed standing on the staircase to the den.  The large man panting heavily finally stopped.  Rolling up his belt he eyed the crying boy on the floor.  "Your never amount to anything you little chicken-$#!^"; he said as he grabbed up his beer and pushed past his wife on the stairs leading to the kitchen.  Upon the drunken brutes exit the woman nervously looked over her shoulder before making her way to the young boy.  Kneeling next to him she brushed back his hair from his tear stained face.  "Billy Jr; I told you not to upset your father, especially after he has been drinking sweetie".  Shrugging off his mother's hand the little boy looked towards the stairs where his father had gone and a glare of hatred could be seen in his eyes. "I wish he was dead"; Billy Jr thought to himself in his silent rage.

Billy Jr, as he was known; had rushed home to tell his father the 'great news'!  Even though a sophomore and second year member of the wrestling team, he had earned a spot on the junior varsity team... Again.  That would not be news that his father would have been proud of; but the coach had told the other boys at the academy that Billy Jr would be the 'Captain' of the squad this year.  At this news the young man beamed with pride and thought surely his father would see what a great accomplishment it was!  'Big Bill' as his father was called was not as excited at the news as his son had hoped; "You blew it again?  Captain of the JV squad?  That is just your damn coach's way of calling you the captain of the losers"! He bellowed just moments before the first blow was struck.  "Someday, young William thought. Someday I'll show that old man".

Two years after high school was nothing but a memory, William looked across the crowd for his parents.  The graduation ceremony of class; #27-076 was on the parade field waiting to receive the commandants handshake and the little tab that was proof you had made it as a Colonial Marine.  "All the Marines looked splendid indeed standing in their formation"; his mother thought.  The ceremony was brief and the families soon mingled with the newly graduated Marines.  Seeking out his mother, 'Billy Jr' approached her noting his father's absence. She could see in his face the disappointment; "William, your father stayed up drinking all night honey. You know it was best he not come".

Later in the barracks as he packed up his belonging a fellow private told him he had a phone call at the CQ's desk.  Picking up the phone moments later he heard his father's drunken slur; "Well, least ya graduated ya little piece of crap. 76th of 80... what a joke.  If ya were worth your salt you woulda been accepted to the officer's trainin'..."  A belch followed and some other drunken words, but the young Marine pulled the phone away from his ear and left it dangling on the counter.

Eighteen months later, as he prepared to go into the stasis chamber for his hyper sleep; he received an incoming trans-space message on his computer terminal.  He stared at the message from his mother but said nothing.  It read:

Dear William,

Your father passed away last night.  God bless his soul. I know you cannot attend his services but I am sure your father will know you are there in spirit.  His last words were to tell you he was always so proud of you; but I think you knew that.

Safe trip,!

Love Mother

Hitting the reply button, the young Private sent a brief message back.

Mom,

Dad can burn in hell for all I care.

It was signed his full name:

PFC William Hudson
USCM
Warship Sulaco

~ Fini

Son of Yautja

So I take it some people here read these but don't always comment if they like or hate it huh? :P ;)

TheMonolith

Loved that ending.
Interesting take on the character. Making all those wise cracks a mask to defend himself was a very clever touch on your part. In all seriousness, of all the 1 page stories I have read, fanfic or otherwise, this is one of the best.

Vulhala

Vulhala

I liked the ending. Nice work mate  ;)

Son of Yautja

Thank you both, I am glad you enjoyed it ;D

I started another story on here (a serious one) called:

Tok'Dakchu of the Yautja!

I don't think there is much intrest in fanfiction here though (for the most part), so I have not tried to continue it...

RagingDragon

Good job on the story!  It was a very interesting take on a great character.  It also rang true with Hudson's wild and unstable behavior through the movie.

I feel you on the fan-fiction thing.  It's just my personal opinion that actually reading people's stories and commenting requires patience, a thing which I'm sure not a lot of forum posters have these days.

Maybe I'll see about reviewing the stories that are posted here, so that you can at least get 1 comment for your hard work :D.

Son of Yautja

LOL, well you are right RaginDragon...

Don't worry though, it is not hard work at all... Just is not any fun if no one reads the crap you write ;D

BrokenDiode

Don't get discouraged. Lots of people read.
To be honest, I'd have been a lot more interested if it wasn't all written in bold and if it were properly formatted and indented. It just makes it look nicer on the eyes. :3

keylight-di

It's really good story.  Interesting. Intriguing. Surprising.

Quote from: Son of Yautja on Sep 28, 2009, 08:48:19 PM
I don't think there is much intrest in fanfiction here though (for the most part), so I have not tried to continue it...
But some people read it and joy it. Continue your writing, please. I'm here and I love it.  ;D

Quote from: Son of Yautja on Sep 28, 2009, 08:48:19 PM
I started another story on here (a serious one) called:
Tok'Dakchu of the Yautja!

I can't wait! I love stories like this. Yes, yes, yes, about Yautja!

Son of Yautja

Sorry about the all bold thing.. my vision is crappy and it helps me see what I wrote better.

As far as formatting, I don't have a clue how to do that.  I think I failed english class fo sho! ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed