Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by ikarop, May 04, 2012, 08:12:31 PM

Author
Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines (Read 44,367 times)

Iceycold

Iceycold

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 07, 2012, 03:18:24 PM
That doesn't make the movie immature, only the writer.
...the writer who writes the film, putting his feelings and thought processes into the script. The truth behind Newt's death is NOT artistic, but pettiness, and the rest of the movie is often very immature as well.

Don't wanna sound smug but that really cracked me up! Did we even watch the same movie???
QuotePlease what?

Why don't you try sounding like less of a twat to your fellow poster, eh? I've said nothing to you personally to deserve that.

QuoteSure, I can see how a disappointed Aliens fan might find Alien 3 to be pretentious (if one doesn't like something it is easy to choose to (mis)interpret ambitious for pretentious), but ridden with "angsty teen attitude" etc. I don't get at all.

Firstly, I'm a fan of Alien and Aliens, so I can appreciate something a bit more ambiguous than "guns go bang. Aliens go dead now."
Secondly, don't act superior and claim my opinions are based on deliberate misinterpretation. I've stated why I find the film puerile; things happen for the sake of proving over and over that "there's point to anything." It's childish in a different way than Alien Resurrection was, but still immature.

If anything is pubertal and immature then it is the super hero cartoon ending of Aliens.
In your description of the ending of "Aliens", you reveal your own biases and opinions. You like Alien 3 better than Aliens? Fine. Sounds to me like your A3's target audience, who liked the concept but thought it was done "wrong before."

This movie jars very, very distinctly with what came before, in tone, consistency and, yes, AMBITION. Aliens expanded the universe. Alien 3 said the universe was shit, we're all going to die so what the hell. This childish film revels in its own cynicism like a pig in shit.

...And yet, ironically, A3 is actually incongruent with itself, by having its ending where the company doesn't get the queen.

QuoteWow, you really hate Alien 3 don't you? Out of all the Alien 3 bashing yours is the most inventive. Kudos to you!

Another childish, derogotary comment? "Bashing?" No, criticising, based on it's own merits (or lack thereof) and the films that came before this sequel.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Iceycold on May 07, 2012, 04:06:02 PM
...the writer who writes the film, putting his feelings and thought processes into the script. The truth behind Newt's death is NOT artistic, but pettiness, and the rest of the movie is often very immature as well.

It can be both petty and artistic at the same time; the idea of getting rid of Newt in the script might come from pettiness whereas the actual writing and the way to deal with it is artistic. Pettiness can be an artistic drive even though it is not the most flattering one.

Still not getting the immaturity thing you're talking about.

QuoteWhy don't you try sounding like less of a twat to your fellow poster, eh? I've said nothing to you personally to deserve that.

I didn't offend you (at least not in my eyes) or call you any names. You on the other hand just called me a "twat".

QuoteFirstly, I'm a fan of Alien and Aliens, so I can appreciate something a bit more ambiguous than "guns go bang. Aliens go dead now."
Secondly, don't act superior and claim my opinions are based on deliberate misinterpretation. I've stated why I find the film puerile; things happen for the sake of proving over and over that "there's point to anything." It's childish in a different way than Alien Resurrection was, but still immature.

First of all you should cool down. I'm not trying to act superior and stuff, I'm just fed up with Aliens fans taking every opportunity they get to take a dump on Alien 3.

Sure, Alien 3 is incredibly bleak and cynical, but it is also full of hope and faith as the prisoners and Reipley fight till the end and manages to rob W&Y on their prize. The inmates are not feeling sorry for themselves and stuff like that, they are just trying to survive and maintain some kind of everyday kind of life. There is not a speck of self-pity here. Not even Clemens seems to go down that path (i.e. being "emo"). They have lived there for years coming to terms with their pasts and are now trying to go forward with the help of Dillon's take on Christianity. And Ripley, who lost everything, didn't give up despite everything... Seriously, I just don't see that immature teenage emo crap you're getting at.

QuoteThis movie jars very, very distinctly with what came before, in tone, consistency and, yes, AMBITION. Aliens expanded the universe. Alien 3 said the universe was shit, we're all going to die so what the hell. This childish film revels in its own cynicism like a pig in shit.

Not according to me. Cameron turned the Alien creature into a giant Termite and exchanged down-to-earth action and characters for bombastic Hollywood action and caricatures, and the list goes on...

Still not getting your obsession about Alien 3 being childish and immature.

Quote...And yet, ironically, A3 is actually incongruent with itself, by having its ending where the company doesn't get the queen.

How is that incongruent? It shows that Ripley's sacrifice paid off. She killed the Alien by taking her own life instead of listening to the comapany's lies thus denying the them what they had desired to get their grubby hands on for so long. The prisoners did something for humanity before "checking out", even if it was by the barrel of a gun. They fought and they won. A bittersweet victory but a victory nevertheless.

So how is that incongruent?

QuoteAnother childish, derogotary comment?

No, not a derogatory comment at all. I genuinely find your take on why you hate Alien 3 different from the standardized Alien 3 bashing formula you hear so often around here and from people like Mr. Pitchford.

Quote"Bashing?" No, criticising, based on it's own merits (or lack thereof) and the films that came before this sequel.

Those "merits" are your interpretation of Aliens 3, which is a movie you seem to hate deeply considering what you have written on this thread so far.

I love Alien. It is my favorite Alien movie. Aliens have aged really badly with me and I like it less every time I watch it while it is the complete opposite thing when it comes to Alien 3 - it gets better with age and I like it more and more every time I watch it. A:R I don't bother with. In case you want to know where I stand when it comes to the Alien movies...

Samus007

QuoteI'm not sympathizing with rapists, child molesters and murderers if that is what you're implying. I cared for them as people within the context of the situation because they felt like real people with real lives - really screwed up lives formed through horrible choices which have brought them to where they are. All vile people but still people nevertheless.

That sorta is sympathizing ;) but, I do get what you are trying to say. I need to add this though, again, my opinion, those are not 'real people', they're no less monsters then the alien itself.

Quotesuper hero cartoon ending of Aliens

I must say, that's the first time i've heard it put like that. lol.

QuoteI'm just fed up with Aliens fans taking every opportunity they get to take a dump on Alien 3.
I am a HUGE fan of one and two, and I can even watch three from time to time and somewhat enjoy it, like I have said before. I'm not dumping on Alien3 so much as pointing out its obvious flaws. And things that IMO make it pale in comparison to one and two. Resurrection on the other hand is terrible and almost unwatchable. :)

QuoteNot according to me. Cameron turned the Alien creature into a giant Termite and exchanged down-to-earth action and characters for bombastic Hollywood action and caricatures, and the list goes on...

Now see, what I think Cameron did was brilliant. Instead of giving is the same formula as the first film, he turned it all on it's head but still managed to make it fit right in and make it more exciting then the first. Sure, the terror is still there and not to the degree of the first film, but if he just did what Scott did it would have been somewhat boring and repetitive. And everyone loves a good military movie ;) Well, I guess not everybody.  ;D

Xenomrph

'Alien3' is my favorite in the series and even I think SpreadEagleBeagle is unfairly dumping on 'Aliens' quite a bit.

Quote from: Le Celticant on May 07, 2012, 12:25:34 PM
I'd rather not expect what Randy is telling us and that's about it.
So for "me" it is already set to not be a sequel to alien, not using all the proper material from the movies and not giving a damn in the word "Science" that is part of Science Fiction.
And no one could ever force me to accept otherwise.  :D
To be fair none of the movies gave much regard to the "science" in science fiction either. :P

But you're right, no one can (or should) force you to accept otherwise. :)

Quote from: Iceycold on May 07, 2012, 02:56:40 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 07, 2012, 02:25:01 AM
And in all my years I've never heard 'Alien3' referred to as "immature".

First time for everything I guess.
It's writer said "I killed off Newt because she annoyed me!"
That was mature, was it?
I'm absolutely going to need a citation for this because this is the first time I've heard it.

QuoteApart from that; A3 is the sort of film pretentious art students make out of sheer dissatisfaction with their own lives. The "happy ending" of Aliens is done away with, replaced with an angsty teen attitude of "life sucks then you die!"
Yeah but it's thematically appropriate given that they intended to end the series, and the message they wanted to convey was "there are no happy endings when Aliens are involved". I don't really see a problem with it.

QuoteAdd in the total rejection of logic and continuity (as depicted by Aliens) in the first ten minutes, add in endless swearing, and the result? A movie made by moody, rebellious teenagers who like the concept of the Alien but hate the  way it's been executed. It's so puerile it's embarrassing.
Just wanted to point out that there really isn't any swearing in the movie until Morse's "f**k!" after Andrews gets killed.
The only real profanity up to that point is Ripley's "well... we're f**ked" after learning they don't have any weapons, and Andrews' response.

Mechafist

Mechafist

Quote from: Samus007 on May 06, 2012, 12:20:19 PM
Just because in alien 3 they "found God" doesn't mean I should magically start caring about these monsters (the cast). The one character besides ripley that was like able was Clemens, and they killed him midway.

What is the problem about the Alien 3 cast? Burke sacrifices a entire colony for money, he also tried to kill Ripley and Newt but we still care for him as a character...Private Tim Crowe, Trevor Wierzbowsk, Corporal Collette Ferro, Daniel Spunkmeyer and Ricco Frost died and we piratically don't know nothing about them.

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 06, 2012, 08:11:21 AM

I can't for the love of god see how "explaining" the egg thing will make Alien 3 a better movie. Please explain that to me.

Well to be sincere i don't know too but let's give gearbox a chance... ;D
We've seen only three gameplay videos and a few information from magazines and we are already criticizing them.

But i understand it sounds kind of offensive for the people who liked Alien 3.

-----
Almost forgot, hi all!
Call me "Mechafist"  ;)

Samus007

Samus007

QuoteWhat is the problem about the Alien 3 cast? Burke sacrifices a entire colony for money and tried to kill Ripley and Newt, we still care for him as a character...Private Tim Crowe, Trevor Wierzbowsk, Corporal Collette Ferro, Daniel Spunkmeyer and Ricco Frost died and we piratically don't know nothing about them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't give a crap what happened to Burke. I wish I could have watched the alien burst out of his chest. I don't think we were ever meant to STILL LIKE him after it was revealed he was a dirtbag company man. As for Crowe, Wierzbowski, Ferro and the others that died during those events we were meant to care for them because they are soldiers and not rapists. Also, they died early on enough that it didn't really matter and none of them were 'main' characters like Vasquez, Ripley, Hicks, Newt, Gorman (somewhat), Hudson, and Bishop. As for alien3, we are meant to care about the doctor (killed to early) and a bunch of inmates that survived till the later half of the film. Well, and 85. I cannot for the life of me ever give two s*its about rapists and murderers. Not ever.

Predaker

Quote from: Samus007 on May 07, 2012, 05:51:13 PM
QuoteWhat is the problem about the Alien 3 cast? Burke sacrifices a entire colony for money and tried to kill Ripley and Newt, we still care for him as a character...Private Tim Crowe, Trevor Wierzbowsk, Corporal Collette Ferro, Daniel Spunkmeyer and Ricco Frost died and we piratically don't know nothing about them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't give a crap what happened to Burke. I wish I could have watched the alien burst out of his chest. I don't think we were ever meant to STILL LIKE him after it was revealed he was a dirtbag company man. As for Crowe, Wierzbowski, Ferro and the others that died during those events we were meant to care for them because they are soldiers and not rapists. Also, they died early on enough that it didn't really matter and none of them were 'main' characters like Vasquez, Ripley, Hicks, Newt, Gorman (somewhat), Hudson, and Bishop. As for alien3, we are meant to care about the doctor (killed to early) and a bunch of inmates that survived till the later half of the film. Well, and 85. I cannot for the life of me ever give two s*its about rapists and murderers. Not ever.
Alien3 did not ask the audience to like rapists, murders, etc. IMO. They were humanizing them. Bad humans yes, but still human. In other words, the world is not as black and white as some would have us believe.

It fits with the movies touching upon the audiences subconscience. Ripley is trying to stay alive, fighting alongside people who we normally treat with disdain and disgust. That added undertones of "somebody might get raped in this movie" which also adds to the tension. It made a lot of people uncomfortable, to say the least.

Samus007

Quote from: Predaker on May 07, 2012, 06:20:28 PM
Quote from: Samus007 on May 07, 2012, 05:51:13 PM

Alien3 did not ask the audience to like rapists, murders, etc. IMO. They were humanizing them. Bad humans yes, but still human. In other words, the world is not as black and white as some would have us believe.

It fits with the movies touching upon the audiences subconscience. Ripley is trying to stay alive, fighting alongside people who we normally treat with disdain and disgust. That added undertones of "somebody might get raped in this movie" which also adds to the tension. It made a lot of people uncomfortable, to say the least.

Well, it made me cheer for the Alien is what it did.

Predaker

Instead of calling this game a true sequel to ALIENS, maybe they should have used the line, "this game will be a true Colonial Marines experience" and left it at that.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Predaker on May 07, 2012, 07:15:59 PM
Instead of calling this game a true sequel to ALIENS, maybe they should have used the line, "this game will be a true Colonial Marines experience" and left it at that.
I think they've said that, too. :P

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 07, 2012, 07:27:21 PM
Quote from: Predaker on May 07, 2012, 07:15:59 PM
I think they've said that, too. :P

...it wasn't enough of a slogan to Pitchford, he just had to squirt some lighter-fluid showing every broham out there that he is a TRUE fan.

SM

Be vewwy, vewwy, wawwy of people who use the term "TRUE fan" without irony.

Barringer

I don't think that calling ACM a "true sequel" to Aliens is really anymore of a dig toward Alien 3 than if Ridley were to do another Alien film that he called a "true sequel" to Alien as being a dig toward Aliens. The Alien trilogy are just three films that are very different than their predecessors, and ACM is informed by Aliens more than the other two.

ShadowPred

Quote from: SM on May 07, 2012, 10:49:50 PM
Be vewwy, vewwy, wawwy of people who use the term "TRUE fan" without irony.

People still say that?!

SM

QuoteI can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't give a crap what happened to Burke. I wish I could have watched the alien burst out of his chest.

You do realise that you wanting to watch an Alien burst out of his chest show you DO in fact "give a crap".  The fact you wanted to see him get his comeuppance shows he did his job as a bad guy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed