If Disney decides to go with a reboot, what would you like to see?

Started by Lizardboy, Jan 25, 2020, 10:16:05 PM

Author
If Disney decides to go with a reboot, what would you like to see? (Read 9,774 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Twenty-ish years ago as a collaborative effort between James Cameron and David Fincher, perhaps, now? No. It's clear that the majority of people want a reboot/soft reboot regardless, even the people who like that idea.

Samhain13

Samhain13

A soft reboot. They don't need to mention anything that happened in the previous movies if they don't want to, I just don't want it to contradict the original trilogy because I would still want everything that comes in the future to still be part of the same universe as the first movies.

Set it post-A3 or even post-AR and bring new characters, planets, WY or something new whatever. I really wouldn't want a full remake of the original Alien, Predator as well. I don't mind remakes, in series like Friday the 13th and Halloween I think it can go great and such series reached the point where a remake was the best option, but not for Alien.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Feb 01, 2020, 04:05:31 PM
It's clear that the majority of people want a reboot/soft reboot regardless, even the people who don't care for that film.

Is this a poll suddenly? What does the majority matter?

PredBabe

PredBabe

Even though I enjoyed Covenant, I think the series needs a soft reboot at this point. I'd love to see some older ship designs in a new movie, like in the originals. Them using Alien Isolation for inspiration, or outright making the story into a movie/series, is my main preference. Love the idea of exploring a large abandoned space station overrun by aliens.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Elizabeth Olson, Florence Pugh and Lupita Nyong'o are all actresses that I think could fit the mold for the franchise.

The Old One

The Old One

Fair enough, but that idea's dead over five years now, a point also existed when I entertained it but I think it's time to move on, not repeat the discussions of the past here, we've got a whole subforum for such a topic, a topic long past the realms of relevance anymore though I believe, time to come up with new ones for the future.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PredBabe on Feb 01, 2020, 04:57:15 PM
Even though I enjoyed Covenant, I think the series needs a soft reboot at this point. I'd love to see some older ship designs in a new movie, like in the originals. Them using Alien Isolation for inspiration, or outright making the story into a movie/series, is my main preference. Love the idea of exploring a large abandoned space station overrun by aliens.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Elizabeth Olson, Florence Pugh and Lupita Nyong'o are all actresses that I think could fit the mold for the franchise.

I think this would appeal to the majority non-hardcore fans too.

PredBabe

Have a special forces unit/marines dispatch on the scene as a sort of rescue mission. That could bring a balance of horror with a tinge of action.

razeak

A fresh story with fresh characters that builds on what came before.

Huggs

I prefer they stay clear of the Aliens vibe, at least on film. It makes for great written stories, but I like my Alien movies full of regular people with reduced armaments. Seems more horrifying that way. I mean, nothing against the CM, but if there hadn't been a sh*t ton of aliens at Hadleys, it likely would've been a much more pleasant outcome for those involved.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but the ambiance and tactical limitations of Alien 1, 3, and Isolation just do it for me.

TC

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 01, 2020, 04:04:20 PM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Feb 01, 2020, 03:59:57 PM
Twenty-ish years ago as a collaborative effort between James Cameron and David Fincher, perhaps, now? No.

Alien3's most avid defender in like clockwork! :laugh:
Wow! You predicted Fiendish's response so accurately you were able to quote her words before she even said them!

Quote from: PredBabe on Feb 01, 2020, 04:57:15 PM
I'd love to see some older ship designs in a new movie, like in the originals. Them using Alien Isolation for inspiration,
There's a lot of sameness about spaceship interiors and technology in the current bunch of sci-fi movies; all those free-floating 3D holograms and blue LED lighting everywhere. The clunky hardware aesthetic of Isolation would be a great way to distinguish a reboot.

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 02, 2020, 12:12:06 AM
It may be an unpopular opinion, but the ambiance and tactical limitations of Alien 1, 3, and Isolation just do it for me.
I don't think there's anything unpopular about those kinds of storylines. Aliens simply took advantage of a sub-genre of sci-fi (futuristic military) that had never been put on film before. These days, however, it's everywhere. Especially in games.

I think an interesting rewrite of the Hadley's Hope plotline would concentrate more on the River of Pain side of the story. i.e. It begins with a mysterious child abduction. Accusations are made against a cult sect; suspects arrested. But abductions continue, gradually increasing in frequency. Reports come in of a supernatural humanoid, barely glimpsed outside the perimeter. Fear continues to build; families start to board themselves into their homes each night. Then crimes escalate with the occasional adult being slaughtered in the most grisly ways imaginable. Sort of Broadchurch meets Slenderman.   :D

TC

Local Trouble

It doesn't have to be Hadley's, but a larger and more populous colony might work.  In fact, it kinda reminds me of the idea I had about Ripley bringing the alien to Fury when it was still fully operational.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 25, 2019, 10:01:03 PM
It would have been interesting to see Fury in its heyday.  Imagine thousands of violent double-Y chromo boys toiling every day to refine mineral ore and forge lead sheets while armed company guards looked on from the catwalks in their dogcatcher gear.

That would've made for a fine alien infestation.  Imagine the gang wars and riots when inmates started disappearing and their bodies showed up later all bloody and mutilated.  Imagine Ripley being in the middle of all that.

seattle24

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Feb 02, 2020, 02:20:25 AM
Up until now, I found myself always against depicting the fall of Hadley's Hope specifically, but that's an enticing idea.

Yeah, I'd like that in a TV series form.

Or a straight up Alien Isolation adaptation for big screen. Obviously change the narrative a little.

I don't want to see Ridley return again. Though I like the universe expansion I still want the HR Giger Alien in it.

Kailem

What would I like to see? I'd like to see them go full Kenner! Gorillas and Rhinos and Bulls, oh my! :laugh:

Drukathi

1. Soft reboot (or even not reboot) that will work as a parallel story to original quadrilody (hexalogy).
2. Leave all original films alone. Do not try: explain them, tie them together or use any related characters.
3. Start with a clean sheet. Within a soft reboot or no reboot at all.
4. There may be references to some events of the original films, but they don't have any effect on the reboot story.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TC on Feb 02, 2020, 01:36:57 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 01, 2020, 04:04:20 PM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Feb 01, 2020, 03:59:57 PM
Twenty-ish years ago as a collaborative effort between James Cameron and David Fincher, perhaps, now? No.

Alien3's most avid defender in like clockwork! :laugh:
Wow! You predicted Fiendish's response so accurately you were able to quote her words before she even said them!

lol. My psychic powers know no bounds!    :laugh:

Another thread shredded by FI's deletes, leaving the appearance of, as Local describes, one man yelling at the clouds!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed