Why do people want to connect Blade Runner and Alien?

Started by yhe1, Feb 08, 2019, 09:56:06 AM

Author
Why do people want to connect Blade Runner and Alien? (Read 4,451 times)

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 11:38:14 PM
Alien featured an android and AI. It was not about androids and AI.

But now IT IS. How you gonna to live with it?

SM

Alien is about a monster killing people on a spaceship.

Ingwar

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 08, 2019, 11:20:28 PM

References, nothing more. Scott is stealing from himself which is kinda sad.

Kradan

Quote from: SM on Feb 09, 2019, 11:21:49 PM

First movie? Yes, no denies.

But now it's 40-year running franchise and there should be room for story evolution, shouldn't it?

Ingwar

Chappie and Terminator are part of the same universe. Both are about robots :)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 09, 2019, 11:22:25 PM

Or y'know, he's an artist that's interested in exploring the same themes throughout his work.

Kradan

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 09, 2019, 11:29:34 PM

Or y'know, he's an artist that's interested in exploring the same themes throughout his work.

Agreed

SM

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 09, 2019, 11:25:05 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 09, 2019, 11:21:49 PM

First movie? Yes, no denies.

But now it's 40-year running franchise and there should be room for story evolution, shouldn't it?

Of course - but that doesn't mean Alien is now about AI.  Covenant is about people encountering an robot who made some monsters, and a third film may complete David's arc.  But it still doesn't make the whole saga about AI.

Ingwar

I don't mind if he wants to explore the same themes. Fair enough. But using exactly the same references is odd or just lazy. Not mentioning David saying Roy Batty's line that's the spirit. It's just too obvious and simple. No need for that.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 09, 2019, 11:29:34 PM

Well, he loves self-references for sure  :P

Below, David (Covenant) & Sibylla (Kingdom of Heaven)  :-X

Ingwar

I actually like that shoot with David :). I thought about Sibylla straight away while watching Covenant at the cinema.

The Old One

The Old One

I think it's possible for two correlating series to be about different things whilst existing in the same universe, without characters  directly crossing over or effecting each other in fact- I think that's an interesting idea. I'm not saying that Alien and Blade Runner do but they easily could, as much as Prometheus with memory viewing technology and Aliens can co-exist, where they doubt Ripley's story.

Unless that technology was lost with the Prometheus and it was also a scientific research platform as well as Peter Weyland's luxury yacht, the same could be done to work around any potential inconsistencies between Alien and Blade Runner.

Ingwar

Ingwar

They could but they don't. It is what it is. Two different universes. Nothing can change that. Interesting? Maybe. Possible? No.

The Old One

The Old One

Nothing can change that, except the same could've been said of Predator at one stage.

It's not like Blade Runner's a hot property, but it is a well-respected one, I could easily see Disney buying it on the cheap.

Ingwar

We cannot forget that Blade Runner is based upon Dick's novel. It's not original story. It comes from the book. You cannot merge book adaptation (with its copy rights and so on) with original and nothing-to-do-with-that-universe movie (Alien). Unless you want to have another Dracula vs. Frankenstein ... I mean AvP :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed