Xenomorph intelligence

Started by ~Jarrecko~, Feb 04, 2007, 01:31:20 AM

Author
Xenomorph intelligence (Read 18,220 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

So I've had this convo before over at GG but thought I'd bring the fun here to you guys.  What is the general consensus?  Are they blankslates learning on the fly, dumb dogs, capable of rudimentary problem solving skills, fooling us all with keen intelligence and making it fair and not using weapons?

Alien:

-12 module is broken after Parker and Brett claim to have fixed it.  Alien interference?  Or bad technician maitenance?

-Dallas attacked from behind by the Alien.  Cunning move by the alien to recognize the flamethrowers danger or just a problem that arises from a person using a 2d graphic to represent a 3d maze?

-Alien positions itself in between Parker and Lambert.  Parker can't use the flamethrower because of this.  Clever move by the Alien, or just coincidence?

-Alien just happens to board the only part of the ship that will be safe from the thermonuclear explosion about to follow?  Again coincidence, or did it somehow understand that Ripley was about to bail when it saw her in the corridor?

Aliens.

They let the marines run deep in the hive before attacking.  An attempt to cut them off and confuse the ranks, or hibernation interrupted by the death of one of their own?

Took out the dropship.

They cut the power to medlab.  Trip over a lose wire (according to Cameron this is not so, he flat out says he wanted the Aliens to show some intelligence), or deliberate?

Open a closed door to get Burke.  The Alien would have to at least understand the mechanics of the door to do that.  I don't believe it was opened at all.

In the ops battle when Ripley, Vasquez, Gorman, Newt, and Hicks are all in the dividing "airlock" like room with the vent, you can see the Aliens hand trying to slide open the lock.  To bad for him it was welded.

Queen in the Elevator.  Even if it returned automatically, it would still have to understand how it functioned and its purpose.  I don't think this one is really debatable.

Queen waits to get rid of Bishop.  Did it understand that he was the most likely physical threat to her?

Alien 3.

The Alien appears pretty dumb to me here.  Maybe thats the influence of the host.  I suppose you could say that when David gets it, it was smart for working its way back around to get him.  But thats a stretch even to me.

Alien Res

Human has alien blood and vice versa.  But they still resemble the Aliens enough to make me think they weren't radically changed by human dna.  This IS debatable however.

Cannibalize one of their own to escape.  Understood what its blood would do to the cage.

Push the freezy button.

Lure humans in with the promises of weapons laying about.

Lay out a trap for the crew of the betty and any other human survivors.  If the webbing didn't make you suffocate and pass out, then when you busted through it, your mouths would be wide open to face rape.

Point out other signs of intelligence I missed.

I would've liked to set up a poll, but I can't figure it out. :(

Weyland

Weyland

You are right. aliens are alot smarter than they appear, maybe not as smart as predators but they are still the most awsome! ;D

SM

SM

QuoteHow smart are the Aliens really?

Smarter than Senor Perry would have us believe.  ;D

Noir-Gojira

Noir-Gojira

With the exception of the Queen, as smart as dogs.  Which is actually pretty smart compared to a lot of humans out there.

SM

SM

Dogs - pfft...

Noir-Gojira

You're right, Wolves are better -_^

Uncanny Antman

Depends on the movie.  Sometimes the Aliens are smart as a monkey, sometimes dumb as a chimp.  ;)

Master Chief

you mean with those big O' heads they don't have big O' brains  ???

slipknotpredator

QuoteThey cut the power to medlab.

How can they cut the power! they are animals!!!  :-\

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Mice and rats cut the power to people's homes all the time.  Granted, the timing in Aliens is awfully convenient to just be an accident, but it still ain't proof of anything.

Even though I consider the Aliens to be fairly clever, precious little of what we've seen on screen actually proves anything of their intelligence vs base instinct.

Ansul

Ansul

In Alien, the Alien pretended it was weakened, and came SO close to taking Ripley's head off.

But that makes me curious - How did the Aliens just chance to be on a Space Jockey ship? Where are the big Aliens if they don't need food and stuff to survive? But they did let the captain down into the lower floor for some facehugger attention... Coincidence?

How come the Alien didn't kill Jonesy? Maybe a face hugger got him. But I doubt that. Jonesy wasn't with the exploration team in the Space Jockey ship.

Then there's why would they get Kain? He's the captain. Maybe they have more knowledge than we think. Maybe it ALL chances to be coincidence. I doubt that too.

--

I wish I could've seen Aliens, but I couldn't because it's not on TV, and I don't have enough money to buy the Quadrilogy. (Darn adolescents, not making money.)

--

I think that the Alien in Alien 3 was pretty sweet.

It saw through the plot they were setting for it, and it got past the door that one dude tried shutting (Unknown to him) when he turned around, he got screwed over.

Unfortunately, it didn't notice the hot lead trick with the Black guy as bait.

Then it killed the warden, or the one guy with the most authority, throwing them into utter chaos. Where it could pluck them up one by one.

The explosion thing, the Alien took out the guy with the cigar, causing the explosion.

The Alien killed the DOCTOR. No one can be healed then.

This reason may be a little more instinctive, but it didn't kill Ripley when it realized she had the Queen inside of her.

I think that they are absolute genii. Just look at how one Alien was able to neutralize Ripley's entire plan.

I don't think that we give these guys credit.

--

Yet in Resurrection, just because Ripley was a relative, they wouldn't kill her, even though it was clear that she didn't really like them as much as they liked her.

--

AvP, they weren't really smart over instinctive, I'll throw that bone. Except for the spear incident where it pretended death with Lex. No simple animal has done that, that I know of.

Frankie

Frankie

Quote from: Ansul on Jun 03, 2007, 06:31:48 PM
AvP, they weren't really smart over instinctive, I'll throw that bone. Except for the spear incident where it pretended death with Lex. No simple animal has done that, that I know of.

No simple animal has faked death?  Anny, what about Possums?  Pretending to be dead when they sense danger.  And snakes that pretend to be dead so hawks won't bother with them?  And some fish that will float belly-up to seem like they're dead, and the predatory animal goes after the live fish instead of them?  Meh, faking death wasn't that smart, it was just an easy, simple trick.

But I think Aliens are smarter than they let on.  Perhaps not so much the Runners and other low rank Aliens, but definately the Queen, and maybe a few of the older, higher ranked Aliens, too.  (Not to mention Aliens are so darn cute! I think they use that to their advantage!)

Ansul

Ansul

Quote from: Frankie on Jun 05, 2007, 05:00:13 AM
Quote from: Ansul on Jun 03, 2007, 06:31:48 PM

No simple animal has faked death?  Anny, what about Possums?  Pretending to be dead when they sense danger.  And snakes that pretend to be dead so hawks won't bother with them?  And some fish that will float belly-up to seem like they're dead, and the predatory animal goes after the live fish instead of them?  Meh, faking death wasn't that smart, it was just an easy, simple trick.

Okay, I stand corrected. But most of my point stands in that case.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I read something somewhere where a possum actually faints when its approached instead of play dead.

Cause its a sissy.

Don't know if the word has changed on this since then though.  More than several years ago.

Meathead320

The Alien never played dead in A1.

It just took it's sweet time about killing folks, and it was blending into it's background.

Not playing dead.

The first creature took it's time with every one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed