Why is Alien: Resurrection hated so much?

Started by Magegg, Jan 06, 2013, 05:24:32 PM

Author
Why is Alien: Resurrection hated so much? (Read 29,046 times)

PsyKore

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Nov 05, 2016, 05:19:52 PM
  • The 'heroes' are all irredeemable assholes. Seriously, they sell kidnapped human beings to Perez, but Wren is the bad guy because he's performing experiments on them? What did they think he was gonna do, throw them a surprise party? "Is this not the shit we brought with us" indeed.
Yeah, I never understood this myself. They kidnap and deliver people in cryosleep but are surprised by the heinous outcome on the Auriga. Very odd.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 06, 2016, 07:50:33 AMWouldn't it make sense to observe Ripley 8 as a part of the closing process of the entire Alien extraction process?  How much more could Ripley 8 teach them by being observed under controlled conditions?  Nope.  Off to the garage floor with you in a plastic baggie.

Oh, that's right...  I forgot.  Ripley 8 wasn't unique.  She had 7 predecessors and they were all kept in a ward.  One of which was indeed kept in a bed.  Logically, then, garage floor for you, No.8.  I guess it all makes sense - in its own stupid way.  Aboard the 2 mile long space craft there's only room for 7 mutants; and all the jars and beds were taken.

"Should we toss Number 8 in the observation ward with the other ones?"

"Nah, man, we already laser-engraved '1-7' on the door."

"Oh shit, you're right. Welp, into the trash, then!"  :D

Le Celticant

I'm glad this film exist, I'm not a fan of it but I'm just glad a radical director with a very specific "vision" could land its print.
It's probably what both AVP film lacked, having a very singular director.
It's also what ALIEN³ lacked, look at Fincher filmography, you would agree that all his films are his own beside ALIEN³ that looks like a generic film made by unknownGuy948 (I'm not saying it's a bad film, just it doesn't feel like a Fincher's film compared to Seven, Zodiac, Social network, Millenium, Gone Girl, blabla).

There's not a moment I doubt ALIEN Resurrection is not a JPJ film.
Sure there are a lot of awkward moment very tied to JPJ who love to turn into "Punk Comedy" every horror aspect.
It's not the best for an Alien film, it doesn't fit in but, I'm really glad they gave it a shot.

I would keep this film just for the Under Water swimming Attack and Dominique Pinon + Ron Perlman performance.

Local Trouble

Jeunet might be a great filmmaker, but I don't think he's well-suited to an Alien flick.  I also wouldn't want to see David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Luc Besson or Terry Gilliam make one because of their filmmaking style.

SM

Quotebut Wren is the bad guy because he's performing experiments on them?

Yes.  Yes he is.

Local Trouble

Perez, Wren, Gediman and anyone else involved in the operation might as well be Nazis.  That's how evil they are for what they did to Purvis and his people.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 06, 2016, 10:19:08 AM
The 'heroes' are all irredeemable assholes. Seriously, they sell kidnapped human beings to Perez, but Wren is the bad guy because he's performing experiments on them? What did they think he was gonna do, throw them a surprise party? "Is this not the shit we brought with us" indeed.

Yeah, I never understood this myself. They kidnap and deliver people in cryosleep but are surprised by the heinous outcome on the Auriga. Very odd.

I think the film makers were going for the 'Rogue as Hero' angle for the crew of the Betty.  Something along the lines of Han Solo or more closely to Malcolm Reynolds.  After all, the Betty crew are early archetypes for the crew aboard the Serenity.  The big difference being, 'Firefly' is actually fun to watch because the casting to fill those roles was bulls eye perfect.  The casting for the crew of the Betty seems haphazard at best.  It's hard to care or even relate to this selection of characters in 'ALIEN: Resurrection' because the material the actors are provided with just doesn't gell with their talents.  It's one of the movie's major flaws.  These are good - even great - actors in other roles, for sure, but here they can't pull the right chemistry either singly or together needed to sell the idea that this crew is in any way deserving of our investment.  Compare them to the crew of the Serenity, which is more or less the same characters with significantly improved casting, and the problem is obvious. 

This clip really says it all, I believe.

-Windebieste.

SM

When were the Betty crew surprised at the "heinous outcome"?  Both Johner and Christie refer to the cargo as "shit". 

SrSpinelli

Quote from: Samus007 on Jan 07, 2013, 01:19:24 PM
I hate the movie, way more than 3. At least Alien 3 still feels like an Alien movie. A:R is like some mashed potatoes mess of God knows what. My reasons are:

1) The music. Compared to 1 thru 3's soundtracks, this one is forgettable.
2) Terrible script with horrid one liners.
3) The guy says, "Fury 16 on ice". It's not Fury 16 on ice. It's Fury 161.
4) That dreaded basketball scene. Makes no damn sense, and is pointless.
5) Stupid ass Marines who make stupid ass decisions
6) Chestburster that goes thru the dudes stomach at the end, and also goes thru the other dudes face. I mean, really!?! Really!?!?
7) Wynona Ryder
8 ) The character that was played by Ron Perlman was annoying and never once funny even though he was trying so hard to be. (Ron Perlman is awesome, just not in this movie).
9) The ladder scene after the water escape... Why in the world does the, up to this point bad ass black dude from CSI, decide to kill himself?!!? He got sprayed with acid a little bit, and then decides to cut his strap loose, give up on life, and die.
10) Shooting the spider.
11) The grenade tossing scene. From the grenade toss roll of awesomeness to the Alien jaw smashing the back of the Generals head and him starring at his brain is all utter stupidness.
12) The annoying ass scientist. Every single scene he is in is terrible!  "OOooohh like a beautiful little butterfly." Stfu.
13) The Alien queen's newborn birth scene. And of course, the newborn. One of the stupidest creations I have ever seen.
14) The "look" of the film. All those browns and muted colors just didn't do it for me.
15)  I especially hated the anamotronic Alien eggs. The cold hard look of the eggs from the first 3 films is gone in this film. Replaced by brownish eggs that breath and move and open and close back up again. Which brings me to...
16) Why the shit did the Aliens eggs close again when grenades fell into them!?!? Did the egg think to itself, "Oh, my facehugger has returned to me, I better close back up!?!?"
17) All the scenes where people shoot bullets off of walls and they ricochet perfectly to the designated target. Also that scene where grenades are perfectly shot off of walls to land inside of alien eggs.
18) The scene when Ripley rips out a RUBBER alien jaw... I mean, i know it's dead, but wtf!?!? In 3 previous movies it is pretty much established that the jaw is not a rubber tongue. Who knows, maybe the jaw is a mouth penis and gets turned on when it sees prey.
19) Back to the idiot scientist... "Oh no, the Aliens killed one of their own, and then escaped thru the floor, I better OPEN THE DOOR AND HAVE A LOOK SEE WHERE THEY WENT".... WTF?!
20) Basically the entire movie sucks.

In my opinion.
This is perfect.

PsyKore

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 06, 2016, 10:22:08 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 06, 2016, 10:19:08 AM
The 'heroes' are all irredeemable assholes. Seriously, they sell kidnapped human beings to Perez, but Wren is the bad guy because he's performing experiments on them? What did they think he was gonna do, throw them a surprise party? "Is this not the shit we brought with us" indeed.

I think the film makers were going for the 'Rogue as Hero' angle for the crew of the Betty.  Something along the lines of Han Solo or more closely to Malcolm Reynolds.  After all, the Betty crew are early archetypes for the crew aboard the Serenity.  The big difference being, 'Firefly' is actually fun to watch because the casting to fill those roles was bulls eye perfect.  The casting for the crew of the Betty seems haphazard at best.  It's hard to care or even relate to this selection of characters in 'ALIEN: Resurrection' because the material the actors are provided with just doesn't gell with their talents.  It's one of the movie's major flaws.  These are good - even great - actors in other roles, for sure, but here they can't pull the right chemistry either singly or together needed to sell the idea that this crew is in any way deserving of our investment.  Compare them to the crew of the Serenity, which is more or less the same characters with significantly improved casting, and the problem is obvious. 

This clip really says it all, I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRlHwwVIug

-Windebieste.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Xenoscream

Funny thread to read!

I understand why people hate it, I don't personally, but I don't re-watch it either. It makes me a bit sad that this is where the series ended.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed