Theatrical or Special Editions?

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Aug 23, 2007, 01:26:56 PM

Author
Theatrical or Special Editions? (Read 11,927 times)

gameoverman

What year did the Aliens SE come out?  Because I remember them making a big deal about it when it was shown on TV for the first time.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SM on Aug 24, 2007, 02:47:35 AM
I got a picture here where the sccreen is definately blue.

Final Edit:  Actually, after even more digging I think you're completely right.  My guess would be that the bluescreen being used is bright enough that on certain cameras, it distorts the colour to a point where it almost looks like UV lighting.

gameoverman

Some shots of the rod puppet were really good.  Maybe not if you freeze-frame it, but they got the movement down pretty right (for some shots anyway).

Uncanny Antman

^Definitely.  It's really only the compositing that lets it down.  The actual puppetry is very well done.

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: gameoverman on Aug 24, 2007, 08:40:12 AM
What year did the Aliens SE come out?  Because I remember them making a big deal about it when it was shown on TV for the first time.

It was released on laserdisk in 1992.  That was the only way to see it until it hit DVD in 1999.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 24, 2007, 01:46:34 PM
It was released on laserdisk in 1992.  That was the only way to see it until it hit DVD in 1999.

Only if you're an American.

I bought it on VHS in 1993.

...then the laserdisc, then the DVD, then the newer DVD... :)

SM

SM

The Aliens SE was on TV in 1992 and available on video shortly after.

arachnophilia

alien: a wash, really. the SE's added cocoon scene is cool, but doesn't fit with the later movies and does break the tension (as giger and scott said)

aliens: theatrical, without a doubt. only one added scene actually adds much to the movie (the "ripley's daughter" scene sets up the newt thing a lot better). the rest, imho, detract. the scene with jorden family at the derelict plays like a bad alien ripoff. showing the colony before the marines gets there detracts from the unknown qualities. and setting up the queen ruins the surprise. and another note: that's aliens theatrical on VHS. james cameron films on a format called "super 35mm" which is actually more accurately represented by FULL screen. the wide-screen DVD is a crop. same with terminator, btw.

alien 3, resurrection: ok, i have to admit, i guess i'm a bad alien fan. i haven't actually seen these yet. i'm vaguely interested in alien 3 SE, but the idea of watching resurrection again kind of makes me gag.

War Wager

War Wager

Alien - Directors Cut
The few more scenes makes the film better to me, and of course the egg-morphing scene is a big plus.

Aliens
- Special Edition
It's a heck of a lot longer but a heck of a lot better. It was nice to see the Derelict again and how it was Newt's father that started the infection.

Alien3 - Special Edition
Defintiley an improvement. The more scenes makes the film make more sense, and although I prefer the dog bursting and the extended sucide scene in the original, you see a lot more of the Alien in this one which is always good.

Alien Resurrection
- Special Edition
The scenes when Ripley is shown a picture of a girl and she starts to cry, and when she begings to remember all the past encounters with Call was important to the film. I didn't like the ending though.

nukem11

nukem11

I noticed something in the Aliens - Special Edition when they have just sent the drop ship down and there in the armoured car and Hudson is talking. You see Hicks awake and then then they skip to him again and he's asleep, that's the only problem I have with that extended bit.

Private Hudson

Alien Directors cut because it makes the movie even better.

Aliens SE because it reveals more about the characters, such as Hick's full name.

Alien 3 SE because it's innitially better than the Theatrical. (No Dog bursting!! YAY!!)

Alien Res Theatrical because I hate the SE cheap opening. (Although I love the SE ending)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Alien Theatrical because nothing is better then the movie origianal format  ;).

Aliens SE because it longer and has more action.

Alien 3 SE because it longer and better then theatrical version.

Alien Resurrection SE because it was bit better then the theatrical version but it still wans't a good movie.

LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

preferred the ALIEN DC over the theatrical but outside the added scene there's really not that much difference between the two

preferred the ALIENS SE over the theatrical - loved the shot of the DERELICT and the sentries guns were pretty cool, also to me was the best one of the 4 DC/SE versions

picked the ALIEN3 theatrical version over the SE - i preferred the dog chestburster over the ox

pricked the ALIEN RESURRECTION theatical version over the SE - i preferred the opening sequence over the SE sequence

Aeus

Aeus

Alien - Director's Cut

I liked all the extra scenes in it. Thought the egg morphing scene was brilliant.

Aliens - Special Edition

Same as above.

Alien 3 - Special Edition

Allows Finchers masterpeice to flow better.

Alien Ressurection - Undecided

I've never seen the entire Theatrical Version let alone the Special Edition. I couldn't watch Ressurection, I just found it a mockery of everything I love about the Aliens, similarly to the reaction Predator 2 spurned from me. Don't plan on watching it in future either.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Alien - Theatrical

Aliens - Special Edition

Alien 3 - Theatrical

Alien Resurrection - Special Edition (not that it really improves the quality any...)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed