Alien3's Runner behaviour

Started by Valaquen, Jun 07, 2010, 07:12:30 PM

Author
Alien3's Runner behaviour (Read 9,060 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

From what we know in Aliens, the Xenos are unlikely to kill a target outright, instead opting to use them as hosts. Their behaviour in this regard is pretty consistent, there is some collateral damage, Frost for example, and necessary sacrifices, such as Spunkmeyer and Ferro, but otherwise the victims are incapacitated and cocooned.
So, we can assume that the Xenomorphs don't kill their prey, as one of Ripley's lines in Aliens attests, and uses them as surrogate parents for their Queen's offspring. With that in mind, what is the Runner in A3 doing? (NOTE: This post concerns the Assembly Cut).
The Runner's first victim, I would say, is accidental. The Alien startles the prisoner with spit (perhaps as a defense mechanism) and he falls into an industrial fan - fair enough

The Alien's next few victims seem a little more intentional when it comes to them being, well, dead

Next up is Clemens

And the Alien approaches Ripley, seemingly intent on harm. We can see it flexing its inner mouth.

I think we can presume that prior to this, the Alien was unaware that Ripley was carrying a Queen. The Alien recoils and vanishes into the ducts, funnily enough, with the corpse of Clemens.

Next up is Brian Glover

We don't see any wound inflicted, but considering the mess...

... I don't think he made it.

So far, 5 down, no survivors. Moving on...

There's a lot of collateral damage in the tunnel sequence, which probably has more explosions in it than Aliens has in its entirety ( ;)) The only clear, Xeno caused death is:

The bait, judging by his screams, is ripped to shreds.

Alien3 breaks its tradition with Golic, whose death is not shown, or even heard.

Anyway, Golic opens the toxic waste dump, he may or may not be killed, and some special effect runs out the door:

At 1.51, at the start of the tunnel trap sequence, we hear screams. We find that special effect molesting a prisoner:

The splatter on the walls and the unresponsive prisoner would suggest that the Alien has killed again. Cue the chase sequence and fish lens.

Another death. "I think I've found Vincent!":

So far, this Alien does not seem to be clued onto the fact that its Queen will require hosts.

Next up is this guy

and then Kobayashi

Next up is ... this guy

The Alien grabs him, Dillon pulls him down and to safety, but the trauma is too much:

Ripley: "Leave him, he's dead." (note: The Alien steals the body soon after).

Ripley runs into a couple of corpses, one of which can be seen hanging from the roof

The Alien chases this guy, grabs him, and he pretty much explodes

Another death:

To cap it all off, there's Dillon, whose death cries cut off just before Morse pours the lead.

So, what's the deal? The Alien is aware that Ripley is carrying its Queen, so why no buildup of hosts or hive? The Alien seems content with shredding everyone and, in some cases, seems to eat at the bodies. This behaviour contradicts the logic established in the prior film. Giger's Alien has an excuse - there was no Queen concept for another 7 years, and the DC manages to allow Brett and Dallas to become 'successors'. Alien3, coming after Aliens, should have obeyed the logic that the previous film set up.
It used the Queen concept but allowed it's Alien to go on a killing spree, leaving no hosts for the propagation of its species.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Yeah, that is odd now that you mention it.  I think you can get around this by thinking along the following lines...

The alien has a good sense of how many people there are in the facility and it is killing off a good portion of the prisoners, whilst the queen is still growing inside Ripley, so that it can lower the chances of any of them grouping together and killing it (the runner alien, not the queen).

Hyperthetically, once the queen was born, there would still be plenty of prisoners to harvest.

I'm not saying that this was the intent within the script (lets face it, the script was stupidly rushed and hacked together from various other drafts), but rather that the above is the best reasoning I can come up with for continuity sakes.  Unless...

...the alien is a retard, plain and simple  :P

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: St_Eddie on Jun 07, 2010, 09:27:59 PM
Yeah, that is odd now that you mention it.  I think you can get around this by thinking along the following lines...

The alien has a good sense of how many people there are in the facility and it is killing off a good portion of the prisoners, whilst the queen is still growing inside Ripley, so that it can lower the chances of any of them grouping together and killing it (the runner alien, not the queen).

Hyperthetically, once the queen was born, there would still be plenty of prisoners to harvest.

Problem is, it killed everyone bar Morse  :P

SiL

SiL

Early script - used them as eggs.

Finished film - remove potential threats to Queen.

As has been mentioned a lot in discussions about egg-morphing, if the population is teeny, then having lots of Aliens isn't going to do anything for you. You might as well just cover the place in hundreds of eggs and wait for something to stick their face in one.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Jun 07, 2010, 09:50:50 PM
Early script - used them as eggs.

Finished film - remove potential threats to Queen.

As has been mentioned a lot in discussions about egg-morphing, if the population is teeny, then having lots of Aliens isn't going to do anything for you. You might as well just cover the place in hundreds of eggs and wait for something to stick their face in one.
Again, egg morphing isn't in the film, and isn't mentioned in the film. The Queen reproduction system is carried on.

SiL

SiL

Yes, I'm pretty sure I said 'Early script' when mentioning it, then later 'In discussions about'. I didn't say at any point egg-morphing was in the movie, just that the same argument - no need to have unnecessary Aliens running around when you can hive a mine field of eggs - holds true.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Jun 07, 2010, 10:03:07 PM
Yes, I'm pretty sure I said 'Early script' when mentioning it, then later 'In discussions about'. I didn't say at any point egg-morphing was in the movie, just that the same argument - no need to have unnecessary Aliens running around when you can hive a mine field of eggs - holds true.
For comparison, compare the prison with Hadley's Hope. The infection spreads, the Xeno's use the colonists as surrogates, the Hive is built, and once all's said and done, the Hive winds down into remission. In Alien3, these steps are abandoned for bloodlust.

SiL

SiL

The colony in Aliens had 157 people who were able to barricade themselves. There needed to be more Aliens to get to them.

There was no call for more Aliens in Alien³.  One was clearly more than capable of dealing with everyone there on its own.

EDIT

Also, y'know. Alien. Killed everyone it came across but Dallas. And just left two of them lying around. It's not like Alien³ broke a mould - if anything Aliens is the freak.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Jun 07, 2010, 10:10:42 PM
The colony in Aliens had 157 people who were able to barricade themselves. There needed to be more Aliens to get to them.

There was no call for more Aliens in Alien³.  One was clearly more than capable of dealing with everyone there on its own.
Then Alien, the creature still manages to ensure that there are hosts left over, despite the smaller numbers.

EDIT
QuoteAlso, y'know. Alien. Killed everyone it came across but Dallas. And just left two of them lying around. It's not like Alien³ broke a mould - if anything Aliens is the freak.

Doesn't matter. Brett is turned into an egg and Dallas serves as the host. That's considering egg morphing. Without it, there's still no Queen reproduction method, so the Alien has no obligation to fulfill that. Alien3 left no-one. Scott being unable to foresee the future (or at least, '86) can be forgiven, surely, but to ignore a previous movie which set up logic and a lifecycle...

SM

SM

QuoteDoesn't matter. Brett is turned into an egg and Dallas serves as the host. That's considering egg morphing.

No, Dallas was an egg too.

As for the Fiorina creature - there were no eggs for any hosts at that point.

Alien³

Alien³

These are my two theories about the runner that sit well with me....

1) It could have something to do with the fact it came from an animal, it's less intelligent an more primeval, resulting in a much more vicious and deadlier xenomorph that is used by the hive for eradicating anything other living species.

2) The runner was killing off people because it was eliminating threats to Ripley.

I believe it's a bit of both.
Oh and who's to say the alien didn't know about the queen embryo before Clemens death? It could have known via instincts passed over from the facehugger.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Alien³ on Jun 07, 2010, 11:01:48 PM
These are my two theories about the runner that sit well with me....

1) It could have something to do with the fact it came from an animal, it's less intelligent an more primeval, resulting in a much more vicious and deadlier xenomorph that is used by the hive for eradicating anything other living species.

2) The runner was killing off people because it was eliminating threats to Ripley.

I believe it's a bit of both.

I like number 1, 2 doesn't seem to hold water. It was killing indiscriminately before finding Ripley, and seemed to threaten her when it did. Afterwards, there are no threats to Ripley from the prisoners. Maybe it can be said to be stopping threats to the Queen, but why kill when we know they can incapacitate very well?
1 is quite good, I like that, though would hope that the Alien would've retained some of its core 'programming', which seems to be reproduction. Still ... very good!

EDIT
QuoteOh and who's to say the alien didn't know about the queen embryo before Clemens death? It could have known via instincts passed over from the facehugger.

No one's to say, but, it very clearly approaches her, threatens, senses that Ripley is carrying, then leaves. It's only observation and not solid fact, but seems to match what is happening onscreen.

SM

SM

QuoteOh and who's to say the alien didn't know about the queen embryo before Clemens death? It could have known via instincts passed over from the facehugger.

It's a bit silly.  I can buy the Alien killing threats to the Queen's host AFTER it encountered Ripley, but using it as an excuse beforehand is stretching things.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 07, 2010, 11:06:30 PM

No one's to say, but, it very clearly approaches her, threatens, senses that Ripley is carrying, then leaves. It's only observation and not solid fact, but seems to match what is happening onscreen.

What you consider threatening could be normal for the Alien. Maybe it knew already but because that was the first time they had met face to face it was just checking her out to see if she is okay. My point about it killing threats to Ripley is backed up also by the fact it attacked Clemens first instead of the helpless Golic who was strapped down and was an easy target.

Plus remember this is a new alien we had never seen before maybe it's only purpose was to kill. Nothing more, nothing less.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Alien³ on Jun 07, 2010, 11:13:47 PM
My point about it killing threats to Ripley is backed up also by the fact it attacked Clemens first instead of the helpless Golic who was strapped down and was an easy target.
Well, Clemens is closer from where it emerges.

QuotePlus remember this is a new alien we had never seen before maybe it's only purpose was to kill. Nothing more, nothing less.
That's a decent in-universe explanation, but as a move from the (admittedly muddled) moviemakers, it feels like an excuse to ramp up the gore and mayhem.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed