Debunking artificial intelligence accusations

Started by Salt The Fries, Oct 11, 2014, 06:18:58 PM

Author
Debunking artificial intelligence accusations (Read 2,293 times)

Le Celticant

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 13, 2014, 07:02:22 PM
The only 'teleporting' I've encountered is with regards to reloading saves. I got killed not long after saving, and when I reloaded the Alien had magically appeared just around the corner from the save station, when it had been nowhere near me at that point previously.

Save system don't keep the Alien location.
It is randomly spawned everytime you load the map with a certain degree of distance at the start.
Could be very handful sometime since the awareness of the alien drop to 0 when loading a saved game having him at first wandering around the vent without bother to drop too early.

Here is what I noticed about teleport:
-Happens if you leave a segmented location (a group of node room) to a next one "if" the alien is too far. Instead of having it to rush to you from the other side of the map, the game carefully teleport it not far from you in the next segment location you are.

-Happens in some level if the Alien remains for too long in the vents without going down because you're too careful. At one point if you manage to keep it in the vent, it'll trigger an event where the Alien teleport in the vents making you go crazy.

-Happens sometimes when the Alien decides to do the "vent from above" thing with its saliva dropping. The Alien does teleport without warning there and leave it too from time to time.

I understand the frustration since he can drop from anywhere without warning and will do so most of the time you're near a vent shaft giving you no options to survive.
It's just a scripted element the NPC is allowed to use otherwise you would just have to throw a noise maker and run 20 miles away. By the time he gets to you, you would have accomplished the objective without being bothered.
Creative Assembly didn't want to make the thing too easy and they were right.
I'm just sad they haven't exploited much the "no movement" anymore from the alien that often. The tracker gives away too much, teleport is the only challenge but it's kinda random and rare.

markweatherill

Perhaps aliens can actually teleport. I never saw it happen in the movies but it doesn't mean they can't.

That would 'explain' some enduring mysteries in continuity between films.

:)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Le Celticant on Oct 14, 2014, 02:30:05 AMSave system don't keep the Alien location.
It is randomly spawned everytime you load the map with a certain degree of distance at the start.

Yes, I've realised that since. I'm now a lot more cautious when loading saves.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed