Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 278,542 times)

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 06, 2017, 08:30:24 PM
Quote from: AlienĀ³ on Jun 06, 2017, 08:19:24 PM
Considering there is no 2 alien films where the creatures look the same I'm not fussed by the way it looks.

This.

Yep. Alien designs have always changed movie to movie. Complaining that the chestburster looked different is like complaining that the xenos in Aliens had ribbed heads instead of a smooth dome.

SM

SM

Pretending this chest burster wasn't a major departure from previous ones is disingenuous however.

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: SM on Jun 06, 2017, 10:01:46 PM
Pretending this chest burster wasn't a major departure from previous ones is disingenuous however.

Oh yeah, for sure, I just don't think it's worth getting upset about, as previous films have done the same thing.

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

I like the new chestburster design :o

acidreign

acidreign

I think the chestburster design in Covenant was just a shade too goofy-looking. I did like the translucency though.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: acidreign on Jun 06, 2017, 11:29:58 PM
I think the chestburster design in Covenant was just a shade too goofy-looking. I did like the translucency though.

Yes, the translucency in the bursters - both Xeno and Neo - was a nice throwback to what was intended with the alien in 79.

acidreign

acidreign

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 06, 2017, 06:48:06 PM
Here's my review of the film:

http://nicksmovieinsights.blogspot.com/2017/06/alien-covenant-review.html

Loved the movie. Hates gonna hate.

Good piece. Enjoyed reading that.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Oh, whatever! So was the Queen.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 07, 2017, 12:16:50 AM

Why?

SM

SM

Erm... that was a Queen.  It should look different.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I really liked how it burst out in its worm form and then unfolded its limbs. It was a really neat idea.

Whether it's a departure or not might be subjective. To me, it looks like a refinement. It also doesn't seem out of place considering the bambi burster was born with all its limbs. I dunno, maybe it can be put down to a case-by-case basis.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: PsyKore on Jun 07, 2017, 12:41:01 AM
I really liked how it burst out in its worm form and then unfolded its limbs. It was a really neat idea.

Right. Thats the way I remember it but I was starting to doubt myself. The limbs have to unfold at some point shortly after the birth why not show it.

I really like the fact that, when people have made entire threads agonising over how the alien can possibly grow when it doesn't feed, we now get to see that the thing just grows whilst you're watching it. It's alien, it has weird incomprehensible properties. The Neomorph, the Xenomorph, they're lethal from birth, practically from conception. This concept admittedly works better post Prometheus after the properties of the mutating pathogen have been established. 

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: SM on Jun 07, 2017, 12:27:02 AM

Erm... that was a Queen.  It should look different.

Because...? It's all arbitrary yet you act like it's divine will.

SM

SM

'Divine will'?  What?

It looks different because it's a Queen.

The Bambi burster looks different because it came out of a dog or ox.

This one came out of a human and looks markedly different from other human-born chestbursters.

I don't take issue with how it looks - but it shouldn't be just lazily hand waved away either.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Yes, yes, you're talking about chestbursters. Cosmetics aside, what about the life-cycle that was a major deviation? Forget about pretending that something is or isn't a major deviation. It's that word "should" that I hate--that these changes should be made, per life-cycle, or these cosmetic approaches adapted. It's utter nonsense.

SM: "Oh, the chestburster should always look the same and you need to make sure people understand it's a major deviation if you give it arms. And the queen should look different." Right...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed