NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 851,463 times)

thexenomorph

thexenomorph

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 15, 2016, 04:09:09 AM
So, a Queen Alien action figure the size of a desk. 

Hmmm... don't wanna know the shipping charges on that item, let alone the purchase price.

-Windebieste.
Haha I mean a regular Queen Alien figure from AVP.

Kailem

Kailem

Looks like NECA's coming out with a 36″ foam rubber Alien skull; perfect for any trophy cabinet that's missing that special something!

http://necaonline.com/2016/12/aliens-foam-replica-36-alien-skull/

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

I'm not one to comment on merch really, but that skull is awful! Why is bone overlapping the teeth like they're lips?

Vark_

Vark_

I was sceptical about the foam space jockey (more about the price than the figure itself), but this... must be a joke. I've seen a couple of home-made skulls on the web that looked better.

Let's not even talk about price on this one. To be constructive, I find it not particularly well sculpted or painted for a life-size job : no edges, it looks really soft, even cute, the agressive look of the flesh creature is gone. And here comes the biggest flaw IMO : the lack of accuracy on the jaw anatomy, okay I'm a dental technician but anyone can notice there's something wrong with the maxilla bone ("overlapping" syndrome) and the mandibula position. The jaw is THE point not to mess with when talking Aliens, it's the close-up shots that made this monsters famous.

When I think "dangerous animal trophy skull" which it is supposed to be, I think fear / power / might / awe / sheer respect to the creature, no matter how small it is (I've visited many times the Paris Museum of Natural History).
I'll be honest, I laughted at this picture. A xeno skull could be a wicked geeky addition to any collection if it is so well done that you could buy the story, particularly when real-life sized. I feel sorry for NECA on this one, it looks more grotesque than mighty. I'm a big fan of their 7" figures, but their real-life products -this one adds to the others- are definitely not to my liking.

windebieste

windebieste

-Windebieste.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Didn't know Xenomorphs had such a severe overbite.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

You've seen AvP Requiem.  :P

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 21, 2016, 09:09:14 AM
You've seen AvP Requiem.  :P

And this makes that look normal. They may have had horse teeth but their overbite wasn't bad.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

The face hugger looked decent, but these last two I'm not so sure about...Neca seems a bit out of their element with this foam stuff.
Luckily they aren't things that interest me to the point of buying lol

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 21, 2016, 01:10:49 PM
The face hugger looked decent, but these last two I'm not so sure about...Neca seems a bit out of their element with this foam stuff.
Luckily they aren't things that interest me to the point of buying lol
Nor myself. The larger their products, the easier to detect budget cuts and sloppy designs. If they made them like they should be, they would have to charge 2x to 3x as much and then the market evaporates to a very small handful of wealthy collectors. NECA doesn't market to them, so let's all keep that in mind.

Their products, which we all seem to enjoy to some extent, will always be imperfect and as collectors, we have the incredible freedom to buy what we want & not buy what we don't want. And remember folks, when we buy things, it means we send them a message. Don't buy something you don't truly want if you don't want them to continue to offer, in your opinion, sub-par quality collectibles.

windebieste

windebieste

For sure.  Their 7 inch stuff is fantastic, the quarter scale figures are great, too.  Beyond that, no.  I'm sorry.  I draw the line confidently at not being interested in badly designed semi-canon content like this skull.  I'd say I could get more value out of building more or less the same thing out of papier mache.  ...at under $10, that's worth a try!

This item is a long way away from the best that NECA has to offer. 

Which reminds me.  I just received a message that my glow in the dark thermal vision 'AvP' Alien figure awaits collection at the post office.  Now, this I am happy to pay for.  Honestly, I ordered this just a few days ago and wasn't expecting it to arrive before Christmas.  Fantastic!

It's a good thing I am not obligated to like everything NECA makes and as PRJ states vote with your wallet to make a difference. 

-Windebieste.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Dec 20, 2016, 08:44:14 AM
I'm not one to comment on merch really, but that skull is awful! Why is bone overlapping the teeth like they're lips?

The lower jaw is obvious being used as a stand. But they still messed up a bit in how it looks.

windebieste

windebieste

The replica skull trophy includes a stand; with the option for table top or wall mounting display.  Still looks like a messed up piece, either way.

-Windebieste.

newbeing

newbeing

Saw the mantis and gorilla alien figures at my local comic store the other day. I've generally dropped out of collecting NECA's stuff, but I got to say those figures looked pretty good, especially the gorilla alien.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 23, 2016, 12:07:19 AM
For sure.  Their 7 inch stuff is fantastic, the quarter scale figures are great, too.  Beyond that, no.  I'm sorry.  I draw the line confidently at not being interested in badly designed semi-canon content like this skull.  I'd say I could get more value out of building more or less the same thing out of papier mache.  ...at under $10, that's worth a try!

This item is a long way away from the best that NECA has to offer. 

Which reminds me.  I just received a message that my glow in the dark thermal vision 'AvP' Alien figure awaits collection at the post office.  Now, this I am happy to pay for.  Honestly, I ordered this just a few days ago and wasn't expecting it to arrive before Christmas.  Fantastic!

It's a good thing I am not obligated to like everything NECA makes and as PRJ states vote with your wallet to make a difference. 

-Windebieste.
Completely agree. Do you have any interest in the in-scale Space Jockey foam piece? That seemed to be a bit better from what I saw of it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed