NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 850,600 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

People married to the oversized NECA scale will seethe and mald but it is the truth, the Black Series and Marvel Legends team generally have the best sculpts and articulation at an affordable price.

On a case by case basis they even put the overseas luxury companies to shame often.

I can attest to this personally.
And they are £25 a pop or £30, NECA usually goes for double that.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

What are the actual sizes on those? They look reasonably big, if not neca huge, when you show them off in chat. 6"?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on May 11, 2023, 09:42:01 PMBut hearing the praise for McFarlane makes me wonder if those praising actually collect his lines.
I do, and as I said earlier mcFarlane's sculpts are quite good, their paint can be quite good, the price point beats the hell out of NECA, and their figures are loaded with good articulation and often come with decent accessories. I just cracked open three McF DC figures this morning, a Wonder Woman (different from the one in your post), 'The Flash' Supergirl, and that Catwoman in your post, and they're all great. I have all of the Dark Batmen, a couple Wonder Womans, Cyborg, The Flash, and Steppenwolf from Snyder's Justice League, and comic book Bane, and they're all great.

I've also got some of their Witcher and Mortal Kombat figures, and they're all great. Even their 40K Necron Warrior and Battle Sister are good.

I'd love to see McFarlane do AvP at the price point they're pulling off for DC stuff. I don't buy everything McF makes, but the stuff I have bought I've been very satisfied with at the price point.

I'm not saying McFarlane is perfect (their recent unmasked Michael Keaton head for The Flash movie toyline is, uh, real f**king bad), but I'd definitely trust their output on an AvP line and their ability to keep the cost low compared to NECA and deliver on quality sculpts and articulation.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 11, 2023, 10:09:32 PMPeople married to the oversized NECA scale will seethe and mald but it is the truth, the Black Series and Marvel Legends team generally have the best sculpts and articulation at an affordable price.
"Affordable price" has been shifting quite a bit lately with Marvel Legends (and I'm speaking as someone who buys them fairly regularly, I just got the ML comic book Yelena Belova). $25 a pop is pushing it a little when you compare it to McF's product at $20, and the price on ML big figures is getting a little out of hand - they want $60 for the new Spider-Verse Cyborg Spider-Woman, when like last year they were selling the Hydra Stomper (who is like 1.5x the size of Cyborg Spider-Woman) for $55 or less.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

One thing I will say for McFarlane is that selling things for $30-40NZD in the early 2000's and for $40-50NZD now is impressive (NECA figures have gone from $35 to $80 in half that time).

Of course, I feel that they've cut corners pretty savagely on paint since then, and I can't imagine it's the only corner they've cut.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 14, 2023, 05:12:47 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 11, 2023, 10:09:32 PMPeople married to the oversized NECA scale will seethe and mald but it is the truth, the Black Series and Marvel Legends team generally have the best sculpts and articulation at an affordable price.
"Affordable price" has been shifting quite a bit lately with Marvel Legends (speaking as someone who buys them fairly regularly) $25 a pop's pushing it a bit when you compare it to McFarlane's product at around $20.

I wrote £25 not $25 lol

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 11, 2023, 11:06:42 PMWhat are the actual sizes on those? They look reasonably big, if not neca huge, when you show them off in chat. 6"?

They look the size humans ought to next to the NECA Aliens and Predators, I would love a Noomi Rapace in Prometheus in that scale by that team with photoreal. 

A reason I do not have any interest in the various Todd McFarlane stuff, I refuse to go back to painted faces and headsculpts that look nothing like their actors.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblacklink=msg=2601995 date=1684045287

Of course, I feel that they've cut corners pretty savagely on paint since then, and I can't imagine it's the only corner they've cut.
What other corner would they cut? It's not sculpt, and it's not articulation. It definitely isn't durability.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 15, 2023, 01:25:00 AM

What other corner would they cut? It's not sculpt, and it's not articulation. It definitely isn't durability.

Labour quality-of-life with a cheaper factory?
Density? They do look more "rubbery" than they used to - which doesn't inherently effect durability, just how nice something feels to touch.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 15, 2023, 07:34:41 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 15, 2023, 01:25:00 AM

Labour quality-of-life with a cheaper factory?
Density? They do look more "rubbery" than they used to - which doesn't inherently effect durability, just how nice something feels to touch.
Every McF DC figure I've got has felt as solid as any NECA figure or McF figure. They definitely haven't felt "cheap".

StayFrosty

StayFrosty

Interesting...
The Neca Aliens Queen is up for pre order on BBTS again.

Sort of sucks... I just had one arrive today that I paid $320 CAD for. Not a horrible price, but had I known I probably would have waited.  :'(

I complained about the figure before... it looks amazing, there are just certain aspects that bother me in how hard she can be to pose.

Gridseeker

Gridseeker

So, looks like NECA is not done yet with the Alien franchise also.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

What gives you that impression?

I had hoped we would get a few more Aliens Fireteam Elite figures like the Drone and Warrior, and Crusher and Praetorian, because paint applications for the Spitter Alien aside those are by far their best work on the Alien license because of using the 3D models from it directly.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Gridseeker on May 16, 2023, 06:59:14 PMSo, looks like NECA is not done yet with the Alien franchise also.

They still have the rights to sell what they've made, and they're reprinting/rereleasing older figures. Does not mean we should expect to see anything new from them.

Gridseeker

Gridseeker

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on May 16, 2023, 10:27:39 PM
Quote from: Gridseeker on May 16, 2023, 06:59:14 PMSo, looks like NECA is not done yet with the Alien franchise also.

They still have the rights to sell what they've made, and they're reprinting/rereleasing older figures. Does not mean we should expect to see anything new from them.
And that´s why it was rumored that NECA would wrap up the license, but looks like they will hold both Alien/Predator license for some extra time.
Though I doubt we would see something new as you mentioned, I still hope we would see stuff as Requiem Predalien in ultimate form.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Similar thing happened when Prodos either gave up or wasn't offered renewal on their AvP license. There was no more new stuff, even the things that were done and awaiting approval, but they gave all their existing casting equipment a last spin to make some cash back on the previous licensed stuff.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah I reckon they would have capitalised more on Fireteam Elite by now and Dark Descent if they were going to continue. :'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed