Space Jockey........Engineer or something else?

Started by palerider, Jun 26, 2017, 04:56:42 PM

Author
Space Jockey........Engineer or something else? (Read 30,794 times)

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 27, 2019, 05:56:01 PM
Upcoming movie?

The director from Dust Devil is doing an adaptation with Nicholas Cage.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5073642/

There's already Die Farbe (2010) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1756479/
which is also inspired by the same story and is supposed to be quite decent. But I haven't seen it yet.

And if you want more Lovecraft, there's The Call Of Cthulhu (2005) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478988/ and The Whisperer In Darkness (2010) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1498878.
Both are black and white movies, one of those a silent movie. But they are worth watching imo.

SM

Both those HPLHS flicks are fantastic.

Monster Man

Just cuz we're doing this I'll post a couple of things I think everyone should check out.

And then there' THIS which is manga adaptation of a couple of Lovecraft stories. Now initially it sounds awful, but lemme tell you that it's pretty damn good, the art does it justice. Especially the adaptation of his Dagon story, mmm so cool.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on Apr 28, 2019, 01:50:50 AM

Seen this one? Excellent short based on The Statement Of Randolph Carter.

Stitch

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Apr 28, 2019, 12:36:32 AM

There's already Die Farbe (2010) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1756479/
which is also inspired by the same story and is supposed to be quite decent. But I haven't seen it yet.

It's not bad, but obviously low budget. The colour is... Pink. Seriously.

SM

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Apr 28, 2019, 05:15:52 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 28, 2019, 01:50:50 AM

Seen this one? Excellent short based on The Statement Of Randolph Carter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcBADBefsrY

I have not.  I'll check it out.  Cheers.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Apr 26, 2019, 11:55:41 PM
you could try The Nameless City instead. http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/nc.aspx
It's a little similar and a lot shorter. As sometimes is the case with his early work compared to his later ones.

I love that story. It's like Lovecraft's take on the Babylonian tales about fish-people. Now let me get away from Lovecraft for a moment as I find similarities between these Babylonian myths of amphibian beings (previously referenced by the Sumerians as Apkallu) that are sent to Earth in order to share knowledge with people, with Ridley Scott's notion of Engineers sending emissaries to our planet to do the same job.

Probably in real life, they were priests cosplaying animals (other things in common with the Engineers  :laugh:), and the stories were exaggerated over the millennia. But I love it when an artist uses old legends like this to create worlds of dark fantasy and science fiction  :)

Quote from: Monster Man on Apr 27, 2019, 12:52:03 AM
If we're throwing in recs -- don't forget Color of Space. That's also a really good one, Lovecraft's personal favorite.

I bet part of such a legacy lives in this book and movie

However, this Soviet film was an equally great influence on the movie adaptation of director Alex Garland...

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 29, 2019, 12:15:23 AM
I love that story. It's like Lovecraft's take on the Babylonian tales about fish-people. Now let me get away from Lovecraft for a moment as I find similarities between these Babylonian myths of amphibian beings (previously referenced by the Sumerians as Apkallu) that are sent to Earth in order to share knowledge with people, with Ridley Scott's notion of Engineers sending emissaries to our planet to do the same job.

https://i.imgur.com/lUvNk2W.jpg

They're were talking about similar stuff on the Joe Rogan Experience with Graham Hancock.
And the fact that several different cultures had similar takes on that, and share the handbag symbol.

The Olmecs in the ancient Americas.

Sumerians is assume, ancient Middle East

Thatguy2068

All right my belief that the space jockey and the engineers are two separate species. The Space Jockey educated a large population of engineers. Engineers view them as Gods and some of them even copied their tech and Create an armor that is very similar on how the space jockey looks. Space Jockey left the engineers for unknown reason. leaving the engineers for themselves. Some of them went out to space to find them, some of them stay on planets waiting for them to come back, Specific group of engineers decide to a large rock. I don't know what they're gonna do over there. maybe play Tetris

[cancerblack]

I see it more in an At the Mountains of Madness way (apropos for this thread). Whatever the first ones were, they made something that reached a certain point and made something, that reached a certain point and made something, etc with each iteration becoming less "perfect", technology devolving from true synthesis to atavistic suits, and so on.

BlueMarsalis79

........Pilots.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Sep 09, 2023, 10:42:40 PMAll right my belief that the space jockey and the engineers are two separate species. The Space Jockey educated a large population of engineers. Engineers view them as Gods and some of them even copied their tech and Create an armor that is very similar on how the space jockey looks. Space Jockey left the engineers for unknown reason. leaving the engineers for themselves. Some of them went out to space to find them, some of them stay on planets waiting for them to come back, Specific group of engineers decide to a large rock. I don't know what they're gonna do over there. maybe play Tetris
Like the idea. Just think that the engineers are humans that reversed engineered the sj tech eons ago. That their events locked us in a time loop that is no longer of use to them with earth as a restart place if things fall apart. The engineer in prom might have tried to stop that.

Thatguy2068

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Sep 10, 2023, 12:01:13 AMI see it more in an At the Mountains of Madness way (apropos for this thread). Whatever the first ones were, they made something that reached a certain point and made something, that reached a certain point and made something, etc with each iteration becoming less "perfect", technology devolving from true synthesis to atavistic suits, and so on.
I like this idea, alot. Honestly it's sort of perfect for the Alien franchise. There is somewhat underlying tone of creation becoming the creator.

[cancerblack]

Yeah, I feel it works well with what's been established and suggested in the prequels.

You can add a nameless black horror from The Outer Dark making some kind of species-wide biological pact with the firstborn race, granting great biotechnological power at a terrible cost, if that's your thing.

Thatguy2068

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Sep 10, 2023, 09:51:25 PMYeah, I feel it works well with what's been established and suggested in the prequels.

You can add a nameless black horror from The Outer Dark making some kind of species-wide biological pact with the firstborn race, granting great biotechnological power at a terrible cost, if that's your thing.
Maybe, I feel like this would work best if the Xenomorph were not bio weapons but were just ancient creatures from space, with the black goo having some sort of connection to it. The reason why they're called the perfect organism is just the Species were born that way. Sure the Space Jockey, engineer, and human superior with technology, to reach the star but the xenomorph has a stronger will to live. Honestly alien theory does a better job describing this in this video at 5:02
This might be the reason to not just our downfall but for everyone's downfall when we are at war with a creature that doesn't have a name. Yes we call it xenomorph but that's just a generic term for any species. How many names does past species give this specific one before they were Inevitably wipe out by creature. Maybe it isn't just a species, it's a event to test us to see if we are strong enough to win against the nameless ones. But the results are always going to be the same, with a big fat no, because we are not perfect like our creators before us and their creators and beyond. Xenomorph is the fermi paradox.

Maybe I'm talking from scratch here. There's probably a lot of alot of Evidence that could go against this theory. I don't know maybe you could give your criticism to this theory. Is it thought provoking or it's just dumb

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed