Something is brewing on Instagram...

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 20, 2018, 06:48:28 PM

Author
Something is brewing on Instagram... (Read 69,498 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 22, 2018, 08:36:17 PM
Looking at the history of our species over the last few thousand years, I don't understand how anyone could think its far fetched.

Yep.

QuoteThe United States government has apologised for deliberately infecting hundreds of people in Guatemala with gonorrhoea and syphilis as part of medical tests more than 60 years ago.

Read More: US sorry over deliberate sex infections in Guatemala

Quote"It's uncommon to study non-human primates, I never conducted animal research" said Dr Carlsten. "I would speculate that human testing is more common simply because we learn more from the full human organism. That is what we are trying to protect."

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/958380467853676544

Local Trouble

Horrific as that was, it was still done under the pretext of medical research to find a cure.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

There was a pretext of medical research behind Nazi experiments as well.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions..."

QuoteIT is widely recognized that the experiments performed on prisoners in German concentration camps during the Second World War were in fact brutal crimes committed under the guise of medical research. There is controversy, however, about the use of the results obtained from those studies. Among the approximately 30 known projects, the controversy has focused most intensely on the experiments involving hypothermia in humans that were performed at the Dachau concentration camp.

Read More: Nazi Science — The Dachau Hypothermia Experiments

QuoteIn Nazi Germany, disabilities weren't medical issues to be treated or solved—they were signs of racial inferiority. Hundreds of thousands of people with disabilities were imprisoned, experimented upon and murdered through a "euthanasia" program that preyed on the physically and mentally ill. The only traces of many victims were brain specimens that were collected for study after their death. And these specimens still exist today.

https://twitter.com/SmithsonianMag/status/861536380773650435

But overall I guess they can use medical excuses to perform experiments involving the Alien in human guinea pigs.  :P

Local Trouble

Even the Nazis confined their experiments to the "undesirables."

Immortan Jonesy

We already had that in the Alien-verse.

Local Trouble

Funny you should mention that...

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 10, 2012, 11:11:26 PM
Bishop said the company knew everything that happened on the ship, right?  So maybe they knew an alien egg was on board and diverted it to Fury 161, just like they diverted the Nostromo to LV-426.

After all, Fury 161 was a remote, company-owned backwater populated by the dregs of humanity.  Maybe they intended to use the place as a laboratory and the prisoners as hosts.

That would explain how the company ship got there so fast: it was already en route when Andrews requested a rescue team.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 23, 2018, 01:08:22 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 22, 2018, 08:36:17 PM
Looking at the history of our species over the last few thousand years, I don't understand how anyone could think its far fetched.

Yep.

QuoteThe United States government has apologised for deliberately infecting hundreds of people in Guatemala with gonorrhoea and syphilis as part of medical tests more than 60 years ago.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/arrow3.gif US sorry over deliberate sex infections in Guatemala

Quote"It's uncommon to study non-human primates, I never conducted animal research" said Dr Carlsten. "I would speculate that human testing is more common simply because we learn more from the full human organism. That is what we are trying to protect."

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/958380467853676544

Let's not forget, the Volkswagen was founded by Hitler.

Nukiemorph

I don't have much problem with the company being cartoonishly evil enough to infect a colony on purpose.  I'm pretty sure they sent the Nostromo near LV-426 and colonized it just to sacrifice employees for specimens anyway.  I'm even more certain of this after the Advent short film.  They knew David had created something terrible out there and they wanted it.

My problem is that Aliens: Resistance has to take place before Aliens.  It would be fine if it took place after Aliens, but if Amanda Ripley is still alive, it must take place before.

So W-Y completely contained the aliens, bred them in captivity, and bombed a colony with them for research.  This paints the company as being way more resourceful, capable, & knowledgeable than they appear to be thirty years later in Aliens.  Doesn't make sense.

Xenomrph

Quote from: David's Creation on Dec 23, 2018, 05:08:41 AM
I don't have much problem with the company being cartoonishly evil enough to infect a colony on purpose.  I'm pretty sure they sent the Nostromo near LV-426 and colonized it just to sacrifice employees for specimens anyway. 
I'm okay with the Company being cartoonishly evil, and I agree that the Nostromo was sent near LV-426 on purpose, but I was never a fan of the idea that Hadley's Hope was set up specifically for the purpose of Alien breeding. Like, it's one hell of a ridiculous coincidence/plot contrivance that WY would just so happen to put their cartoonishly evil breeding plan into motion right after Ellen Ripley shows up out of the blue, putting her in a position to go and f**k the whole thing up.

SM

SM

Quote from: David's Creation on Dec 23, 2018, 05:08:41 AM
I don't have much problem with the company being cartoonishly evil enough to infect a colony on purpose.  I'm pretty sure they sent the Nostromo near LV-426 and colonized it just to sacrifice employees for specimens anyway.  I'm even more certain of this after the Advent short film.  They knew David had created something terrible out there and they wanted it.

My problem is that Aliens: Resistance has to take place before Aliens.  It would be fine if it took place after Aliens, but if Amanda Ripley is still alive, it must take place before.

So W-Y completely contained the aliens, bred them in captivity, and bombed a colony with them for research.  This paints the company as being way more resourceful, capable, & knowledgeable than they appear to be thirty years later in Aliens.  Doesn't make sense.

It's a very big company.

Hadley wasn't colonised to get Alien specimens though.

Local Trouble

I can't believe so many of you are actually fine with the company going full-Umbrella.

Ah shit, what do I care?  This franchise flew off the rails decades ago as far I'm concerned.

SiL

SiL

I'm with you. It's dopey, especially when you consider that they buried evidence of SO-937 after losing a single -- admittedly expensive -- ship. Nuking an entire colony with huggers really seems like a nightmare paper trail waiting to happen.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 23, 2018, 06:09:10 AM
This franchise flew off the rails decades ago as far I'm concerned.
In what way?

I guess I'm just desensitized to cartoonishly evil shit in media because of how frequently it happens in real life.

Xenoegg

WY Colonists are Expandable ;)

Bioweapons who are worth 100 Billions Dollars are not.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 22, 2018, 10:55:58 PM
Not sure what difference that makes.

Also, since when are we talking about galactic scale?  The ECA rep indicated that something over "300 surveyed worlds" was all we had.  That's a far cry from colonizing the whole galaxy.

My point is the Company - or one uninformed person in the Company - was willing to send the colonists to see if there was something as dangerous described, risking the loss of a colony and then had the influence to go along on the follow-up mission. I don't think the loss of colonies is that big of an issue for them in the future.

I never said the whole galaxy but 300 worlds is still a lot compared to a single world. People/Governments/Militaries get away with plenty of wrongdoings and mass killing on the one world. I don't find it hard to conceive it's doable when you've got hundreds of worlds, many with a population equalling a small town. That's not many fish lost in a large ocean.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed