The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 463,599 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps.
Jon Snow is the Aragorn equivalent,
I believe.

Spoiler
No purchase of a unreleased product sends more of a message, than burning one you already bought.
[close]

By the immensely talented;
http://www.alicexz.com/

A Song Of Ice & Fire
https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=49922.0

kwisatz

kwisatz

QuoteI didn't remember hearing anyone claiming the RW was anything other than written fantasticly though.

On a Shakespearean scale its probably bland and piecemeal.

Now this could absolutely upset me to a point where i feel the urge to make a youtube video --

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: kwisatz on May 22, 2019, 04:41:44 AM
The impression i get from the TV series is hat Martins books are more realistic for example in how they depict human characters. In LotR the moral compass for most of the characters is more or less fixed and predictable and can only vary tremendously under the influence of a magical device like the one ring.

Not really. 

Frodo's character is fixed throughout the story. Then at the very end....bada bing bada bang, he did a complete 180 and totally submitted to the ring. And you can't blame it on the ring either. He consistently showed throughout the story he had the "fixed" character to resist the ring's draw and fending off those who were drawn to it just being near it, let alone touching it......that is, until he did a 180 at the very end. That's not a characteristic that can be labeled predictable.

Saruman was presented as an ally of Gandalf and the men of the West.....then mid-story....bada bing bada bang, it's revealed he's not the predictable character viewers were led to believe.

Samwise was introduced as afraid-of-his-own-shadow gardner who feared even leaving the shire, but as the story progressed, he turned out to be one of the strongest characters of LOTR. That's not a "fixed" or predictable character.

Throughout the trilogy, Grima is consistently shown as a deceitful worm who cowered in Saruman's presence. But when he gets a little backhand, bada bing bada bang, he's now a killer and snuffs out Saruman. For someone who acted so cowardly throughout the trilogy, that's hardly predictable he turns stone cold killer in an instant.

Treebeard consistently showed he had no interest in the wars of man and sticks to his guns all the way up to towards the end to not join the men of the west, but when a few of his flora pets are carved up, in a middle earth minute, the Ents are leveling Eisengard.

Point is, I don't think it's entirely justifiable to corner LOTR characters as fixed and predictable, as the examples above prove otherwise. Now one can argue certain circumstances and events caused those changes in character. But then that could be said about GOT characters also.

Well...except Dany of episode 5. LOL! Regardless, any change in a GOT character was for the most part not some random out of blue unpredictable turn. Circumstances or events led to most of those GOT character turns.......just like LOTR.

Quote from: The Old One on May 22, 2019, 04:45:44 AM
Spoiler
No purchase of a unreleased product sends more of a message, than burning one you already bought.
[close]

Understood, but that wasn't even the point - the point wasn't diminishing their sales by refusing to buy their product. The point was literary fan's anger for Martin was so fierce they destroyed product that they already purchased. But no GOT fans declaring the destruction of their disc collection over season 8 that I've seen. I don't know how I can explain it any different to you again.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Eh, I don't get it anyway.

I don't destroy anything I buy, it's childish and not in the way Tolkien or C.S Lewis encouraged. lol
Plus, you can't really destroy a Season you don't own yet now can you?

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on May 22, 2019, 05:49:38 AM
Eh, I don't get it anyway.

I don't destroy anything I buy, it's childish and not in the way Tolkien or C.S Lewis encouraged. lol

Agreed, I would never destroy something I purchased. It may collect dust, but not destroyed. But apparently that's just how angry fans were with Martin to destroy product they purchased.

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on May 22, 2019, 05:49:38 AM
Plus, you can't really destroy a Season you don't own yet now can you?

Over a half million discs of season 7 alone have been sold. If GOT show fans were as angry with D&D as literary fans were with Martin, why would they keep any product by D&D? Martin's fans burned the book because they hated the RW scene, I assume not everything else in the book but they destroyed the entire book anyway.......then they bought another copy to finish it after all.....lol! Now that's anger right there, I don't care who you are.

The Old One

The Old One

I just reread the first 12 pages of the thread.
Oh, the optimism, the quality writing. *Sigh*

Oh my sweet summer children.

Highland

Highland

What do you think a satisfactory ending would have been? For those that didn't like it.

Spoiler
Outside of lengthening the season and maybe cleaning up the Cersei death, I think it was ok. John got the shaft for sure, but I'm not sure I ever saw him on the Throne.
[close]

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Highland on May 22, 2019, 07:46:22 AM
What do you think a satisfactory ending would have been? For those that didn't like it.

Spoiler
Outside of lengthening the season and maybe cleaning up the Cersei death, I think it was ok. John got the shaft for sure, but I'm not sure I ever saw him on the Throne.
[close]

Spoiler
Theon aids Jon in killing the Night King at the cost of his own life.  Him sacrificing himself to save Winterfell after his betrayal of Winterfell would have been a nice closure for his character.  I know that's what they went for, but his silly charge at then end felt a little pointless.

In the battle of King's Landing, Jamie is badly injured and is unable to return to King's Landing.  His character wouldn't have wanted Cersei to die, but he wouldn't be pining for her as the show would have us believe.  He becomes a Kingsguard for Bran, if that is the way George wanted the show to go, with Bran on the throne

Euron is killed by Drogon along with the rest of his fleet

The hound still talks Arya out of going after Cersei, and he and his brother are killed as Drogon destroys the Red Keep

Dany's whole descent into madness should have been drawn out longer, she should have become more reckless as the seasons played out, less merciful to her enemies, and her ultimate decision to burn kings landing should have been done by accident, she should have instead burned the red keep in anger, but unintentionally set of wildfire which killed thousands of people.  Dany could have been completely broken by this, the idea that she wasn't a monster, but that was how people would see her now is too much for her to deal with.  And in the end, Jon kills her out of mercy, to free her from her guilt.  Jon then voluntarily returns to the Night's Watch, having killed his queen and the woman he loves, realising that his life belongs North of the Wall
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on May 22, 2019, 04:29:24 AM
Well, I know I for one have no intention of owning GoT on home media anymore, and that's because of the ending.
It's rewatchability is kneecapped for myself.

Agreed sister.

It's hard to burn discs, and stupid. Ebay it is!

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 22, 2019, 10:18:50 AM
Well, I know I for one have no intention of owning GoT on home media anymore, and that's because of the ending.

Agreed sister.

They're already advertising Season 8 on Instagram.  The comments... oh my

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 22, 2019, 10:24:36 AM

Agreed sister.

They'll be showing their displeasure the only other way they can. With their wallet. Season 8 media. New show merchandise.

What's interesting for me is I have little interest for the spin-offs now. If it ended well it would be just the opposite. I would have been so pumped, just like I was for the Hobbit trilogy. But now?

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 22, 2019, 11:12:16 AM

Agreed sister.

https://i.imgflip.com/14jfeh.gif

They'll be showing their displeasure the only other way they can. With their wallet. Season 8 media. New show merchandise.

What's interesting for me is I have little interest for the spin-offs now. If it ended well it would be just the opposite. I would have been so pumped, just like I was for the Hobbit trilogy. But now?

Yeah, they'll probably see a hit in their revenue.  I've never cared for the prequels, my interest in the show started to diminish right around season 6 and 7, because that's where the quality of the writing really started to slump.  But I wanted to watch it to at least see characters finish their arcs, that has been my biggest problem with season 8, as bad as season 6 and 7 might have been, they didn't completely shit all over characters like season 8 (except for Littlefinger)

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

I didn't say burn the discs. I said smash the discs. There's a difference. You can easily smash the discs.

Anyhoo, avoiding product purchase certainly does drive home the message of fans' displeasure.......

......aaaand it's a much more calm and sensible anger than buying the product then destroying it.......then buying it again!.........as literary fans did over their unchecked anger with Martin......according to Martin himself. ;)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 22, 2019, 11:20:33 AM

Agreed sister.

Yeah, they'll probably see a hit in their revenue.  I've never cared for the prequels, my interest in the show started to diminish right around season 6 and 7, because that's where the quality of the writing really started to slump.  But I wanted to watch it to at least see characters finish their arcs, that has been my biggest problem with season 8, as bad as season 6 and 7 might have been, they didn't completely shit all over characters like season 8 (except for Littlefinger)

Yeah, I believe most of us saw the diminishing of writing quality like you did, but I personally always found it manageable as a fan, and there were still some great episodes among them in my opinion. But you're right, there was no shitting on the main character arcs, so it still had my loyalty.

If there's any silver-lining, I do believe the disaster that is Season 8 will be a textbook example tought in screen writing classes on what not to do, for years to come.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 22, 2019, 12:28:36 PM

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 22, 2019, 11:20:33 AM

Agreed sister.

Yeah, I believe most of us saw the diminishing of writing quality like you did, but I personally always found it manageable as a fan, and there were still some great episodes among them in my opinion. But you're right, there was no shitting on the main character arcs, so it still had my loyalty.

If there's any silver-lining, I do believe the disaster that is Season 8 will be a textbook example tought in screen writing classes on what not to do, for years to come.

I hope so.  The general public at large tend not to care about these things.  As long as they get the big spectacles, they can look over the mistakes and wrong turns in writing as long as they get the 'fan service' and I think a lot of future productions will gravitate towards this trend.  I know I've joked about the Burlington Bar and other reaction channels, but a lot of them are really all about that OMG moment, instead of following a good story. 

Spoiler
This was a criticism I had of Endgame.  Not trying to start a discussion on here btw but I felt some of the flaws were overlooked because that final battle was so epic and amazing to watch. 

Jon is a perfect example,  Brought back to life the following season for nothing.  King in the North for nothing.  Perhaps the worst one, revealing he is a Targaeryan for nothing more than letting him ride a dragon.  It literally went nowhere else.

Dany's flip was supposed to be a Red Wedding moment, the difference being that the Red Wedding was slowly built up, subtle hints and a culmination as the consequences of Robb's choices.  Dany wasn't. characters talking about the mad king, and Dany killing her enemies after offering them the chance to submit are not enough.  They sacrificed logic for a 'gotcha' moment, and it really shows.  This season was all spectacle, no story.  Nobody has criticised the effects or the prodcution value, all the criticism is levelled towards the writing.

Spectacle is fine, fan service is fine, mindless entertainment is fine.  The problem is, Game of Thrones was never about any of this in the beginning.
It was a deep character study set in a fantasy world.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed