The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 463,647 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Both in combat and in cold resolve. Tywin wouldn't be able to intimidate Stannis. I don't think he would compromise with Tywin either, like say, Olenna Tyrell did, no matter the cost to himself.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 02, 2014, 05:08:40 PM
The Davos/Stannis friendship is actually one of the things I feel like the show didn't handle as well as it could, to be honest. I know Stannis had to imprison Davos for what he did, but he seemed a bit to quick to act. I would have liked to have seen Stannis show a bit more remorse for what he had to do.

He's more of a c**t in the books. He even draws a sword on Davos in the third one.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 02, 2014, 05:27:36 PMHe's more of a c**t in the books. He even draws a sword on Davos in the third one.

At what point? It's been a while since I read it.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Shasvre on Apr 02, 2014, 05:29:32 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 02, 2014, 05:27:36 PMHe's more of a c**t in the books. He even draws a sword on Davos in the third one.

At what point? It's been a while since I read it.

When he sentences Davos to die.

Shasvre

Shasvre

The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

Though I'm not sure if Stannis abides by that rule. :D

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Stannis doesn't compromise or surrender.  He took the Onion Knights knuckles for stealing onions to keep Stannis men from starving...........and then knighted him.

Tywin would probably be able to out calculate Stannis but Stannis would win a battle of wills and if TV Stannis is anybody to go with combat skill as well.  Tywin has other people do his fighting.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 02, 2014, 05:53:16 PM
Stannis would win a battle of wills

Doubt that.

In a straight up fight Tywin is too old, I agree. But if we took each at their prime, I think Stannis may be in real trouble vs. the man who razed another house to the ground himself.
In an overall war though, Tywin would win, his strategy is too great. Unless he takes a sudden bathroom break.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

You basically just repeated what I said.

There already was a battle of wills when Stannis refused to surrender and would have rather starve than to have done so.  The whole Onion Knight scenario.

Would Tywin survive the same situation?  No. 

Would Tywin be much more likely to outmaneuver Stannis with battlefield strategy yes.  (Unless that strategy involved naval fleets).

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

The Davos/Stannis friendship is actually one of the things I feel like the show didn't handle as well as it could, to be honest. I know Stannis had to imprison Davos for what he did, but he seemed a bit to quick to act. I would have liked to have seen Stannis show a bit more remorse for what he had to do.

I'd disagree, myself. Sure, his actions are very stern and very cold. But I can see a lot of subtle remorse and self-questioning in Dillane's performance. Stannis acts with certitude, but I don't think he acts without doubt. When I see the scenes with Stannis and Davos, I get a sense that he sees his actions not as something he wants to do, but as something he has to do.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Charles Dance > everyone else

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 02, 2014, 10:27:33 PM

I'd disagree, myself. Sure, his actions are very stern and very cold. But I can see a lot of subtle remorse and self-questioning in Dillane's performance. Stannis acts with certitude, but I don't think he acts without doubt. When I see the scenes with Stannis and Davos, I get a sense that he sees his actions not as something he wants to do, but as something he has to do.

I agree. When he gets mad at Davos in their last scene of the season I felt that he was more mad about Davos forcing him to punish him. He still wants Davos advice as a moral compass even though he usually goes for Melisandre's suggestions after all.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 02, 2014, 06:49:51 PM
There already was a battle of wills when Stannis refused to surrender and would have rather starve than to have done so.  The whole Onion Knight scenario.

Would Tywin survive the same situation?  No. 
You don't have much to base that on.  :P

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Tywin would have bartered his way out of trouble or never have been caught in the first place. 

Stannis was willing to starve to death alongside his men to survive until Davos showed up.

Stannis has resolve whilst Tywin has cunning.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Damn right he never would have been caught on that situation.  8)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Because he would have switched sides.

But Tywin knows how to play the game.  Stannis is like Eddard. A leader of men but not somebody who can rule vast amounts of people.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed