The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 463,602 times)

Eva

Eva

Nah... this looks more like my kind of action ;)

Spoiler
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Kissed by fire either way.

Ruadh

Ruadh

When I think about how many seasons this show will be, I'm always brought back to Martin's statement that this show will NOT turn into Lost. I really hope it maintains momentum for the audience that have never read any of the books, or the cliff notes of them like I did. heh. Otherwise, it's going to really make him eat those words.

But, if they're changing things from the books to make it grander etc, that might help.

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

Blondey is looking hot.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Eva

Eva

:D

Quote from: Ruadh on Mar 05, 2013, 10:21:40 PM
But, if they're changing things from the books to make it grander etc, that might help.

They basically changed the narrative structure of the books by necessity. The books are told in a first person narrative with the chapters simply named after the characters. That means that there are several characters in the books we only know through the eyes of other characters. The show screenwriters have done a great job of translating this into a 'standard' narrative, because the other one probably wouldn't work on film as well it does in the books.

Valaquen

Valaquen

... the books are written in a first-person narrative?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Eva on Mar 05, 2013, 10:34:05 PMThey basically changed the narrative structure of the books by necessity. The books are told in a first person narrative with the chapters simply named after the characters. That means that there are several characters in the books we only know through the eyes of other characters. The show screenwriters have done a great job of translating this into a 'standard' narrative, because the other one probably wouldn't work on film as well it does in the books.

That's one of the things I find really cool about the books, and is interesting when someone becomes a POV character later on in the books. Jaime in A Storm of Swords, for example. It puts them in a different light.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 05, 2013, 10:35:01 PM

Yep. From start to end - the one's I've read sofar.

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 05, 2013, 10:36:37 PM
That's one of the things I find really cool about the books, and is interesting when someone becomes a POV character later on in the books. Jaime in A Storm of Swords, for example. It puts them in a different light.

The other cool thing is how it allows the screenwriters (with the blessings of George RR Martin) to add depth to some of the characters who don't get their own chapters in the books. They can throw a couple of surprises at the audience, even those who've read the books, with these 'secondary' characters, because there's a lot we don't really know about them, unless it is revealed somehow in the POV storytelling of the books.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Eva on Mar 05, 2013, 10:46:48 PM

... don't you mean third-person?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Eva on Mar 05, 2013, 10:46:48 PMThe other cool thing is how it allows the screenwriters (with the blessings of George RR Martin) to add depth to some of the characters who don't get their own chapters in the books. They can throw a couple of surprises at the audience, even those who've read the books, with these 'secondary' characters, because there's a lot we don't really know about them, unless it is revealed somehow in the POV storytelling of the books.

Aye, Littlefinger and Varys in particular.

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

How any books are there?i was at Walmart and saw a 4 pack that cost 20 bucks.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 05, 2013, 10:49:13 PM

I checked up on it and yes you're right - it's called third person narration, not first person. In the case of these books, it would be called a 'limited' third person narrative. I mistook that for first person blargh :P

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: ace3g on Mar 03, 2013, 02:08:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV_twflbzxc#ws
"You're not half as clever as you think you are."
"Still makes me more clever than you."

Oh god--
I'm having a heartattack--
Somebody help--
This--
Is looking so--
f**kingamazing-- ;-;
Hnnnnnngggggggggggg~

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

Quote from: Eva on Mar 05, 2013, 11:05:38 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 05, 2013, 10:49:13 PM

I checked up on it and yes you're right - it's called third person narration, not first person. In the case of these books, it would be called a 'limited' third person narrative. I mistook that for first person blargh :P
First person: I
Second person: you
Third person: Eva

What you are talking about in the novels is called "alternatives person view" in which POV's alternate between the novels.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed