The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 463,649 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

If it stays true to the books Ser Jorah will have his that was badass moment too.

Shasvre

Shasvre

I just read A Game of Thrones.

Let's just say that some things the show did better, some things the book did better. I've enjoyed them both so far and can't wait to get my hands on A Clash of Kings. First thing I noticed when reading the book was that most of the characters were younger than in the show. I couldn't loose the images I had in my head of the actors and actresses either, so I still can't picture Robb as an fifteen year old boy with red hair, when he looks nothing like that in the show.

As for some specific things...

Spoiler
The introduction of the zombies was great, a very creepy moment. And that ending with Dany and the dragons. Damn, things are gonna get interesting. It was a pity that Ned had to die and I really hope Jofferey gets what is coming to him.
[close]

With only three more episodes to go, it seems unlikely that they will find the time to finish A Game of Thrones in this season. A lot of the war can't be rushed the same way it was in the book, or else the viewers would feel cheated.

First Blood

First Blood

Look forward to reading A Game of Thrones in the near future. Does the book focus on the Dothraki like the show?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Daenerys is a POV character, so there's quite a bit of the Dothraki in there. They come of as even more savage than they do in the show.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yeah I've liked both as well too.  The age thing was a bit off putting to me in the book, even if back in the day they did marry people off extremely young.  So I'm happy the show aged them a bit.

They also replaced Cersai and others like her Catherin Tully with people that can act instead of people that would be beautiful like they were in the book. Even though Lena Hedley is somewhat of a milf anyhow.  Which in thinking about it, is probably a good thing for series longevity.

The other changes are minor imo and are merely there to exposit background information that was only just thought about in the show.

So far the show has been BETTER than I thought it would be. 

MAJOR POTENTIAL SPOILS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ BOOK!

Spoiler
So Laufey, do you get the impression yet that Jon Snow is half Stark (eddard's sister) and half Targarayen (Rhaeger) yet?
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 28, 2011, 12:46:00 AMMAJOR POTENTIAL SPOILS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ BOOK!

Spoiler
So Laufey, do you get the impression yet that Jon Snow is half Stark (eddard's sister) and half Targarayen (Rhaeger) yet?
[close]

Spoiler
I never thought of that actually, but now that you mention it, it does sound like it would make sense. It would certainly explain why he never talks about Jon's mother and how a honourable man like himself would get a bastard "son".
[close]

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Spoiler
Don't forget that Rhaeger's abduction of Lyanna was never officially found out to be so.  Robert just assumed it was.  Also Eddard's sister made him promise something that only he would know as she was on her deathbed.  Also consider that Robert would kill Jon for being half Targaryen if it was found out, just like if he found out all his other "kids" were actually Jaime's (the reason Jaime tossed Bran out the window).  Think it has to be true.
[close]

First Blood

First Blood

Picked up A Game of Thrones today! I am about four chapters in and enjoying the hell out of it.  :)

Shasvre

Shasvre

How do you think it compares to the show so far?

One thing I really hope we get to see in the show is...

Spoiler
Ser Barristan killing the guards that were sent to arrest him after he was dismissed from the Kingsguard. We've heard a lot about how badass he is, but I want to see it too. ;D
[close]

Edit: A couple of behind the scenes clips, if anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbBi7dLnT4#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofPjpBVvEA#ws

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Laufey on May 29, 2011, 09:54:46 PM
How do you think it compares to the show so far?

You're right about the age thing. Everyone else is much younger in the book. But I liked the way the show handled the prologue more than the book. And I liked the way the book handled the scene with Bran spying on Jaime Lannister having sex with Cersei.

Spoiler
I've reached the point in which Daenerys married Khal Drogo.
[close]

Oh and just caught the newest episode. That ending had me f**king begging for more.

Spoiler
The scene with Khal Drogo ranting and raving about how he was going to cross the Narrow Sea, and kill everyone was amazing. And the final scene after that with Littlefinger had my jaw on the floor.
[close]

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Good god, I know what you mean. It's killing me I have to wait a week to see what happens next.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Gaaah. It's so good.

Spoiler
WHAT THE f**k SEAN BEAN

EVERY TIME
[close]

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

I was uncertain if I wanted to make time to watch this show, but then--

oh my god.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Looking forward to Syrio's big moment next week. ;D

Pn2501

Pn2501

Ep 7 I like the story's progression so far plus more John snow is always welcome.
Spoiler
Whoever's idea shooting that poisoners scene with quick cuttered extreme close ups needs to be poisoned themselves that was so horribly executed it made me laugh, also wasn't a fan of the hideous amount of exposition this ep
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed