Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Oct 14, 2020, 08:31:32 PM

Author
Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix (Read 85,951 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I envisage a lot of shaggy youths roaming the Midlands this winter.

Nightmare Asylum

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

In the Janty Yates video interview I posted in The Last Duel thread, you can see some art relating to Kitbag on her office wall.

Looks like Ridley will be using the works of French painter, Jacques-Louis David as key-art for the look of this film:

Ridley is known to use famous classical paintings in order to establish the overall look of his film or to define key scenes with it.

Previous examples include:

Nighthawks by Edward Hopper for Blade Runner:

Isle of the Dead by Arnold Böcklin for Alien: Covenant:

and Pollice Verso by French painter, Jean-Leon Gerome for Gladiator:

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

New lengthy interview with Janty Yates just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aToQWZTSX8

Janty talks a bit about Ridley's techniques and drops a few snippets from Kitbag that is currently in pre-production.

-Says there are 185 actors that she is costuming.
-Talks a bit about Josephine's red dress.
-Says Kitbag will be shot entirely on location.
-Says that Gucci was originally supposed to shoot before The Last Duel, but then Ridley got a phone call from Matt Damon and put Gucci on hold.
-Says Ridley's legendary commercial count is actually 5000, probably 6000 commercials.  :laugh:

In this interview, you can again see some classical paintings in the background that are being used as reference.

In addition to the two from Jacques-Louis David previously mentioned above, there is also Napoleon I on his Imperial Throne, by French Neoclassical painter, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres:

Ingwar

In terms of colour pallet this movie will stand in opposition to The Last Duel. It's going to be colorful.

KiramidHead

Scott revisiting both duels and the Napoleonic Wars within a year is neat.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 23, 2021, 10:31:14 PM
In terms of colour pallet this movie will stand in opposition to The Last Duel. It's going to be colorful.

Probably yeah. It's also kinda bizarre how Joaquin Phoenix (who previously played a Roman Emperor) will now play the Emperor Napoleon, who in turn styled himself after the ancient Roman Emperors*.

*(Note the golden laurel wreath Napoleon wears in the painting above, same as Phoenix wore in Gladiator.)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

https://twitter.com/jphoenixupdates/status/1477017423341621249

Quote from: DeadlineRidley Scott just turned 84 years old on November 30 and he must be slowing down. He only had two, count 'em, two major, star-laden, big-scale movies he directed that were released this fall: House of Gucci and The Last Duel. Oh, and he has already prepped, storyboarded and cast his next massive epic about Napoleon and Josephine tentatively titled Kitbag and starring Joaquin Phoenix and Jodie Comer. It starts shooting right near the start of the new year in France (Covid permitting, but that has not stopped Scott, who made both the above mentioned 2021 films in the midst of the pandemic).

As he told me when I spoke with him for this week's episode of my Deadline video series Behind the Lens, this new film will have just six major battle sequences as opposed to only one in some past films based on the historical figure. As you might recall, none other than Stanley Kubrick was planning a Napoleon film that just never got off the ground, but that is almost never the case with Scott, who also has a new sequel to his 2000 Best Picture Oscar winner Gladiator, and another chapter in the Alien saga in the pipeline.

https://deadline.com/video/ridley-scott-behind-the-lens/

Ingwar

This Monday? It's ahead of reported schedule (mid-January). Starts in France and then moves to UK like with The Last Duel?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yep, Monday the 3rd. I previously saw some other reports that it would start this early (including a comment from Jodie Comer). Don't think they'll be shooting as long in France as with The Last Duel.

Also, behind Ridley you can see another classical painting by French painter François Gérard, called "Portrait of Emperor Napoleon I".

Very similar to the one by Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres posted above.

Stolen

Curious about the cast, I still hope for some surprises.
This topic will be our home for a few months.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Holy shit!

Quote"Unfortunately, due to COVID and changes of schedule, I don't think I can make Kitbag work right now due to a scheduling conflict," the actress told THR's Scott Feinberg on his Awards Chatter podcast. She wasn't thrilled about the development, calling it "rubbish."

She didn't call the development rubbish but the fact that due to covid and schedule conflict she couldn't make it. Journalists f**king hell.

Nightmare Asylum

Really bummed about this... her performance in The Last Duel was one of 2021's very best, and I was really excited to see her reunite with Ridley again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed