[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 23, 2021, 08:41:07 PM

Author
[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound (Read 39,101 times)

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 22, 2023, 03:31:38 AM
Quote from: Prez on Nov 21, 2023, 10:44:08 PMPerhaps do a new version of the iconic Alien `green hatched egg' but with multiple eggs and more blue hue and the iconic A L () E N S logo. Hahaha.

And then for Alien 3, do an egg wedged upside down in the top corner of the box, sit back, and watch a 72 page thread spawn overnight debating how it got there.

I know this was said in total jest... but now I'm picturing an all black cover similar to Aliens Special Edition VHS, but with just an egg in top left corner - I actually think it'd be magnificent! 😃

battyfan

Just looked on JB Hi Fi's site and Ezy DVD for Avatar The Way of Water. JB had nothing but Ezy DVD had Avatar 2 to buy? Is it possible for Australian fans to buy Aliens on 4K through Ezy DVD possibly?

SiL

EzyDVD still exists?

Prez

Quote from: battyfan on Nov 30, 2023, 09:07:23 AMJust looked on JB Hi Fi's site and Ezy DVD for Avatar The Way of Water. JB had nothing but Ezy DVD had Avatar 2 to buy? Is it possible for Australian fans to buy Aliens on 4K through Ezy DVD possibly?

Hmmm. It would be an import so you'll pay premium price but perhaps avoid the astronomical shipping rates.

battyfan

Quote from: SiL on Nov 30, 2023, 12:16:55 PMEzyDVD still exists?

Yeah they do. I check those sites for new and upcoming releases from time to time.

Prez

Prez

Emailed EzyDVD. They don't import from overseas and said they unfortunately have no access to any Disney released media. Asking them how they are able to sell Avatar WOTW.

Update: From EzyDVD when asked about why they stocked Avatar WOTW.
Avatar Way of the Water was produced before Disney pulled out of the market so it was existing stock. Their last Australian release was Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3

TheBATMAN

Anyone any early impressions of this? It's all suspiciously quiet at the mo.

Mike’s Monsters

Early copies only just started going out in the last 24 or so hours.

https://twitter.com/hdreport/status/1734471256135856342?s=20

Nightmare Asylum

I think it's out digitally (but only the theatrical cut) in 4K today, right? Disc isn't til March (same day as True Lies and The Abyss).

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 12, 2023, 08:21:42 PMI think it's out digitally (but only the theatrical cut) in 4K today, right? Disc isn't til March (same day as True Lies and The Abyss).

Digital today, but I'm not sure which version. And disc in March. Yes.

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 12, 2023, 06:45:30 PMEarly copies only just started going out in the last 24 or so hours.

https://twitter.com/hdreport/status/1734471256135856342?s=20

Adding to this. The user seems to be taking photos of the TV or screen he's watching this one with his phone, hence the pixelization or oversharpening. I wouldn't use this guy's posts as a good example of what it looks like. Really poor and misleading on his part. I'd wait to see actual screen caps.

darktranq

The Abyss has been released digitally in both theatrical and special editions, so I can't see why Aliens wouldn't be the same. True Lies only has the theatrical cut.

Waiting for it to drop when it's Wednesday the 13th here already is brutal.

Nukiemorph

I'm seeing annoyingly mixed reports about the new transfer.

Prez

This from Bill at The Digital Bits on the video quality.

"The result is remarkable clarity and detail, but it is a bit jarring. Applied to Titanic (reviewed here), this unique remastering process feels completely appropriate. Applied to Aliens, which has always been a film with a grittier look, it takes more getting used to. The film looks almost modern now as opposed to vintage late 80s, which appears to be Cameron's intent. On the other hand, I've just spent the entire morning going back and forth between the Alien Anthology Blu-ray and the new 4K Digital presentation on Vudu, Apple TV, and Movies Anywhere, and I definitely prefer the 4K (with a caveat that the forthcoming physical UHD should release improve upon it). There's no doubt that this is James Cameron's Aliens looking better than you've ever seen it before. There's still light photochemical grain visible. There is plenty of fine image detail visible (though it's a little less nuanced looking than the fine detail on Titanic). The color palette is vibrant, with the cool blue-gray tones it's always had, and it's close enough to the Blu-ray palette that you wouldn't notice a difference unless you compared the images side-by-side. Blacks are incredibly deep, highlights are genuinely bold. This 4K image certainly isn't perfect—it often looks a little... processed is the best word I can come up with. But the more I look at it, the more I like it, and I suspect that most fans will feel the same. But I also suspect that some viewers will really dislike it, because it's definitely different, and I certainly appreciate that perspective too."

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/aliens-2023-digital-uhd

BlueMarsalis79

Okay whatever it is a slight improvement or the opposite depending upon your point of view, but just slight regardless- Alien³ please?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed