Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 21, 2019, 12:49:19 AM

Author
Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well? (Read 47,729 times)

SM

I watched it endlessly on VHS and it was the only version I knew for maybe 20 years till I watched it on DVD.

Then wondered - what the hell is all this extra violence??

Local Trouble

Mad Max 2 was released as The Road Warrior in the US so I didn't even know it was a sequel for quite a few years.  Was it as big a hit down under as Young Einsten was?

SM

All Young Einstein had going for it was a cool soundtrack.

I do remember a Yank trailer for it that pronounced the title "Young Eye-an-steen".

Local Trouble

The US trailers assured me that it was a colossal hit in Australia. >:(

SM

"Colossal hit" in Australia doesn't really mean the same thing as it might elsewhere.  I remember it was very popular thanks mainly to songs and music videos from the soundtrack (which included clips from the film) being on high rotation, and I think it did alright box office wise.

Australia has produced it's fair share of great flicks that have done sweet f**k all business.

xeno_alpha_07

Speaking of Mad Max who remembers the the American dubbed version of the first film from back in the day? :o

BlueMarsalis79

Actually the first version I saw, for some reason that dub turned on by default on my Blu-ray, back in like 2016?

I actually really like the dub for Toecutter.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Feb 23, 2024, 11:34:54 AMActually the first version I saw, for some reason that dub turned on by default on my Blu-ray, back in like 2016?

I actually really like the dub for Toecutter.

I didn't know they still released the film with that dubbed audio track.  I have trouble watching that dubbed version. 

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 22, 2024, 08:06:05 PMOh ok. Here it's forbidden even with adults.

America, land of the free  ;D

Now that you mentioned this, I did a lil' digging on the Motion Picture Association rating system around that time in the States.

QuoteIn 1996,[39] the minimum age for NC-17-rated films was raised to 18,[40][41][42] by rewording it to "No One 17 and Under Admitted".[43] The ratings used since 1996 are:[4]
Rated G: General audiences – All ages admitted.
Rated PG: Parental guidance suggested – Some material may not be suitable for children.
Rated PG-13: Parents strongly cautioned – Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
Rated R: Restricted – Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
Rated NC-17: Adults only – No one 17 and under admitted.

Being an R-rated film, we were gucci to go in with a parent. Now, I'm sure people were probably scowling at a mother bringing their 11, 10, and 7-year-old but we had fun. ;D

BigDaddyJohn

The Newborn didn't traumatize you too much at that age ? On the big screen his ugly (yet amazingly done) face must be something else  :laugh:

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 23, 2024, 12:43:26 PMThe Newborn didn't traumatize you too much at that age ? On the big screen his ugly (yet amazingly done) face must be something else  :laugh:

I was more traumatized by his death.  :o I may or may not have cried about that part.

I do remember being pissed off that it just b*tch slapped the Queen's face off though. LOL

SM

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Feb 23, 2024, 11:15:05 AMSpeaking of Mad Max who remembers the the American dubbed version of the first film from back in the day? :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2YcJgw8SU

I've seen short clips and refuse to watch more.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: PredBabe on Feb 23, 2024, 12:51:37 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 23, 2024, 12:43:26 PMThe Newborn didn't traumatize you too much at that age ? On the big screen his ugly (yet amazingly done) face must be something else  :laugh:

I was more traumatized by his death.  :o I may or may not have cried about that part.

I do remember being pissed off that it just b*tch slapped the Queen's face off though. LOL

The screams. God the screams are still haunting me.

Neila

Neila

I'm not entirely sure, but I think I read once that there should have been a real fight between the Newborn and the Queen.
I think it was like that in the novel (?)
(But actually the newborn wouldn't have a chance against the queen...)

A4 was actually quite well received here and there were long queues at the entrance.
It was always shown in the largest cinema in our city.
All the hatred for the Newborn and the film in general only spread on the Internet some time later...

I like the newborn more than the A4 dinosaur warriors
The technical implementation was awesome.

SM

None of the available scripts have a fight between the Queen and Newborn.  Queens aren't built to fight plus she was pretty much stuck to the floor.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed