Comics Update - Aliens: Defiance, Prometheus/Predator: Life and Death

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2016, 08:05:41 PM

Author
Comics Update - Aliens: Defiance, Prometheus/Predator: Life and Death (Read 79,710 times)

Ultramorph

Life and Death did have an end-cap issue, but it was included in the AVP Life and Death TPB, unlike what they did with Fire and Stone.

I'm sure it won't effect projects that are already in motion, but those damn Fox buyout talks are starting again. God, I don't want AVP at Marvel...

Russ840

Me neither. The price hike will be huge as well.

trilobite

could that mean we'll potentially see alien and predator titles from marvel instead of dark horse?

SM

It might.  Star Wars moved back to Marvel from DH when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Xenomrph

Quote from: trilobite on Dec 03, 2017, 10:47:37 PM
could that mean we'll potentially see alien and predator titles from marvel instead of dark horse?
Almost definitely. Why would Disney bother working with a third-party publisher for a licensed book when they could just produce and print it all in-house?

trilobite

trilobite

do we consider that a pro or con? i can think of some pretty marvel artists that would be dope working on alien

Ultramorph

I consider it a con for the most part. I don't see it being a priority for Marvel, given the nature of the content; if they license goes anywhere, I'd much rather it be IDW or even Image or some other company that isn't afraid of a graphic property. Personally Marvel has a lot of trust to earn back after how far their overall quality has sunk since Secret Wars.

SM

The best point of comparison would be new Marvel Star Wars vs. DH Star Wars.

Ultramorph

I wish I was better versed in SW comics. What changes have you noticed since the license moved?

SM

Not read any of the new ones.  I've flicked though a few and they look decent enough, but there just seems to be too many to follow.  Same thing happened at DH in the early 2000s.  I just lost track.  And my disposable income dried up around the same time.

Ultramorph

Ah, I see. From what I can tell, it seemed like DH really dug into the world building while Marvel seems to mostly be focusing on titles very closely linked to the new films.

SM

As far as I can tell a lot of the Marvel stuff is set between ANH and ESB and features the usual suspects.  Which is wise.  I'd rather read about characters from the films - even peripheral ones - more than the Old Republic Jedi vs. Sith stuff.

trilobite

trilobite

avengers fighting xenomorphs on an alien planet, coming to a comic book near you 2022

SM

Predator already pwnd the X-Men.

Russ840

I wont lie and say that I wouldn't be interested to see what Marvel's talent could put out in the form of Aliens and Predator comics.

My issue lies with Marvel's collection print quality and price vs Dark horses.

In my opinion, Dark Horse release the best quality books, relative to their price point, on the market.

Let's take the Original Comic Series format that Dark Horse have been releasing. The equivalent from marvel would cost between £40- £60. Marvels smaller hardcover releases cost around £20. I have bought every recent Dark Horse Aliens/ Predator related fancy pants for less than £20.

Along with the expense that comes with Marvel,  we get thin paper.

As a Hardcover comic collector, this prospect does not bod well.  :-\.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed