Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral)

Started by shamash, Apr 17, 2012, 09:33:18 AM

Author
Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral) (Read 62,655 times)

Predaker

One can have morals without ethics, but one cannot have ethics without morals. Please read the definitions you copy/paste.

Or as I mentioned earlier, google search: moral vs ethical

I hope we get to see David8 with his "emotions" switched off! This movie is exciting.

Have a good day everyone!

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 19, 2012, 12:02:48 PM
I hope we get to see David8 with his "emotions" switched off! This movie is exciting.

You are cheerful the individual I one day aspire to be.

ryanjayhawk

One can have morals without ethics, but one cannot have ethics without morals. Please read the definitions you copy/paste.

Or as I mentioned earlier, google search: moral vs ethical

The difference between ethics and morals can seem somewhat arbitrary to many, but there is a basic, albeit subtle, difference. Morals define personal character, while ethics stress a social system in which those morals are applied.

That is from Googling morals vs ethics...

The reason it seems arbitrary to many, myself included, is because society is made up of indivduals. A social compact of ethical decision is made up based on the morals of the indivduals in the social system, therefore morals decide ethics and makes them interchangable.

In keeping the banter going, I hope we don't see David's emotions switch off... we have already had Ash... I hope his emotions get cranked up and we get a situation where his emotions start to make him more human that robot.  That could lead to some big turmoil...  That or to have David lead to what eventually is the Xeno we know of... 

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on Apr 19, 2012, 12:59:57 PMIn keeping the banter going, I hope we don't see David's emotions switch off... we have already had Ash...

I never saw Ash as being emotionless. He was psychotic no doubt, be he more than once displayed genuine emotion that was not simply an act designed to manipulate his fellows: perplexity when Ripley suggests someone should go after Dallas, Lambert and Kane, and an almost child-like guilt when Ripley sneaks up on him in the med lab. In a lot of ways, Ash displayed a much deeper emotional range than Bishop ever did.

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 19, 2012, 01:08:47 PM
Quote from: ryanjayhawk on Apr 19, 2012, 12:59:57 PMIn keeping the banter going, I hope we don't see David's emotions switch off... we have already had Ash...

I never saw Ash as being emotionless. He was psychotic no doubt, be he more than once displayed genuine emotion that was not simply an act designed to manipulate his fellows: perplexity when Ripley suggests someone should go after Dallas, Lambert and Kane, and an almost child-like guilt when Ripley sneaks up on him in the med lab. In a lot of ways, Ash displayed a much deeper emotional range than Bishop ever did.

I mean't Bishop... you are right Ash did display emotion, but not the level I would have liked... I think the idea that this robot wants to be human would play out more interesting than zero emotions.  I also think this desire to be human would also play well to connect this movie to the realm of Blade Runner also.

Kol

when i saw alien the first time i couldn't distinguish ash from the others. they were all some kind of cold & not empathizing, except for ripley, lambert & parker.

david is an early robot, compared to ash & bishop, so of course ash (or his programmers) has overcome the childish behavior.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Biomechanoid20 on Apr 19, 2012, 10:48:06 AM
Some David 8 bits and pieces I thought were cool:

- Dimensions
  Height    1.87 meters
  Weight    86 kg
  Size    David 8 wears Weyland Industries standard uniform (accepts model sizes 6-8)

- With a fluid intelligence on the order of 200 petaflops, David 8 exhibits twice the neural net capacity of humans.

- An advanced polyurethane coating replicates the biological properties of human skin to exact texture, pliability and tensile strength. With a cadmium alloy endoskeleton, David 8's frame can withstand over 1,000 pounds of compression force.

- The Weyland-stamped fingerprint lets you know that each David 8 cybernetic individual comes from The Company you know and trust.

- Multi-degree range of motion greater than human capacity
- 30x visual magnification with increased depth of field
- 700-lb lifting capacity
- Polymer-encased brain stem component
- Unlimited memory

- David 8 is fluent in all known languages through a dialectic implant and can infer the linguistic components of entirely new languages if encountered.

- Unlike previous models, David 8 can conduct all of his own maintenance procedures.

He's like a superhero compared to the rest of the crew.  ;D

Dear David:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t3Nm3Vdr-o#

Predaker

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 19, 2012, 12:04:34 PM

You are cheerful the individual I one day aspire to be.
Cool beans and cheesy fritos!  ;D

Prometheus will have some very intriguing parts to unfold with the emotions of David8, I suspect.

Despicable Dugong

Despicable Dugong

David8 will have a lot of time on his lonesome to contemplate whatever it is robots like him are capable of contemplating on the Prometheus' journey to the SJ planet...

All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy. All work and no play makes David8 a dull boy.

;D

Capovin

"One can have morals without ethics, but one cannot have ethics without morals. Please read the definitions you copy/paste.

Or as I mentioned earlier, google search: moral vs ethical"

I have and I did, the fact remains that they are still essentially interchangeable "you could never pick out one concept that is clearly signified by one of the words that the other one doesn't also represent in common usage. "

Xenomorphine

God damn it... If there's one thing I have grown to loathe in science-fiction films it's when mass produced AIs are literally given emotions. It was crappy when they tried to portray it in Call and I see no legitimate reason for it here, either.

I'm going to get bad flashbacks to watching 'Stealth' during this, I know it...

How pleasant to know that these things with vastly superior sensory and physical capabilities can "resist" the temptation to get angry with humans. Yes... I'd just love one of those working alongside me in a hostile/dangerous environment. It's bad enough when ordinary equipment malfunctions, let alone something complex enough to potentially go having an emotional breakdown!

It's the very thing I detested about the prequel episode of 'The Animatrix'. It simply doesn't make sense to install that sort of thing on machines which are basically engineered for the express purpose of slave labour.

Yes, I know that Ash/Bishop had moments which inferred possible emotions, but those were always ambiguous enough to be interpreted in a variety of ways.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 20, 2012, 01:11:32 AMIt simply doesn't make sense to install that sort of thing on machines which are basically engineered for the express purpose of slave labour.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The David 8 viral quite clearly shows that David is not an emotional being. It's in the sales pitch that he is made to appear emotional so that he can integrate with the other staff on whatever workforce he is a part of. All of the other robots in the series - with the exception of Call, who doesn't exist anyway - could fit into this mold. Even Ash's private showings of emotion could be thought of as the result of a programming directive rather than a real feeling.

SM

David tears up because he's programmed to.  Same as Call.

Xenomorphine

If he doesn't have emotions, he shouldn't be capable of saying what makes him 'sad', let alone be giving specifics.

SM

He's been programmed to know what makes him 'sad'.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed