Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral)

Started by shamash, Apr 17, 2012, 09:33:18 AM

Author
Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral) (Read 62,661 times)

harlock

Apparently the David 8 will do anything it is ordered... I assume it could be ordered to kill and have 'sad face' whilst it does it...

Also I wonder just what a David 8 finds disgusting??

Kinda scary he will not stop until he carries out his order... reminds me of another robot...  ;)

He is quite a useful bit of kit though... Technological aspects can include scouting thanks to his programmed return routines and eidetic memory is handy in that aspect also. Makes sense he'd be sent in with the ground team into the temple.

Anyone notice he can learn new languages due to inflections heard in it? Engineer language, anyone? ... and whats a fear center safety program??

Also, I noted he has to replace his high-turbidity hydraulic fluid... white blood anyone?

Blanco

^^So the Engineers feel threatened by David?  That humans have become Gods in their abitity to create life?

Space Sweeper

Wow... that's not actually a half bad theory.

chupacabras acheronsis

and then they make him human.

Space Sweeper

Goddammit, Chupa, at least give me just this one to approve of.

Just this one.

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 18, 2012, 10:11:11 PM
Quote from: ryanjayhawk on Apr 18, 2012, 01:41:32 PM
Quote from: Predaker on Apr 18, 2012, 12:59:37 AM
Sometimes things might seem to be the same thing (e.g. proven innocent vs. not guilty) but they actually have profoundly different meanings and implications.

Please feel free to follow up... as a former law enforcement agent I understand the difference between proven innocent and not guilty, however, I am not following how that relates to the discussion.

I don't think the commercial is necessarily a blatant attempt at saying that David is unethical, immoral, evil, bad... whatever you want to call it.  I think it's simply saying that he is not tethered to the same problems as humans, why do militaries the world over spend so much time training soldiers to follow orders without question.  The simple answer is because some of the things they have to do, might bother the person's moral/ethical compass...
Google search: ethics vs morality, or moral vs ethical.

Space and time each have separate definitions, but as a concept of reality they are inseparable. :)

mor·al   [mawr-uhl, mor-]  Show IPA
adjective
of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical

eth·ics   [eth-iks]  Show IPA
plural noun
( used with a singular or plural verb ) a system of moral principles: the ethics of a culture.

Please go define tomato, and then define tomahto...

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Blanco on Apr 19, 2012, 12:40:06 AM^^So the Engineers feel threatened by David?  That humans have become Gods in their abitity to create life?

Maybe not threatened, but it could be the thing that causes them to call game over on the human race. David represents a level of advancement that they think we should not have attained. To them, only they are worthy of the proverbial 'fire'. Nice thinking Blanco.

Eva

Looool -> Space Sweepers new avatar + sig  :laugh:

David will be awesome. That is all.  8)

Predaker

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on Apr 19, 2012, 01:39:32 AM
Quote from: Predaker on Apr 18, 2012, 10:11:11 PM
Quote from: ryanjayhawk on Apr 18, 2012, 01:41:32 PM
Quote from: Predaker on Apr 18, 2012, 12:59:37 AM
Sometimes things might seem to be the same thing (e.g. proven innocent vs. not guilty) but they actually have profoundly different meanings and implications.

Please feel free to follow up... as a former law enforcement agent I understand the difference between proven innocent and not guilty, however, I am not following how that relates to the discussion.

I don't think the commercial is necessarily a blatant attempt at saying that David is unethical, immoral, evil, bad... whatever you want to call it.  I think it's simply saying that he is not tethered to the same problems as humans, why do militaries the world over spend so much time training soldiers to follow orders without question.  The simple answer is because some of the things they have to do, might bother the person's moral/ethical compass...
Google search: ethics vs morality, or moral vs ethical.

Space and time each have separate definitions, but as a concept of reality they are inseparable. :)

mor·al   [mawr-uhl, mor-]  Show IPA
adjective
of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical

eth·ics   [eth-iks]  Show IPA
plural noun
( used with a singular or plural verb ) a system of moral principles: the ethics of a culture.

Please go define tomato, and then define tomahto...
Tomato tomatoe? Is that how you would explain the differences between not guilty and proven innocent?

Morals and ethics are not the same, but don't let me stop you from using them interchangably.

Capovin

Capovin

eth·i·cal
[eth-i-kuhl]
- adjective 1. pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct
2. being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, esp. the standards of a profession
3. (of drugs) sold only upon medical prescription

Ethics can for all intensive purposes be interchangeable with  morals, all the arguments against that fact make no sense, anything applied to ethics can also be applied to morals and vice versa. The definition is clear, if you want your own individual idea of ethics separated from your idea of morals so be it, but it does not make it so in actuality.

EXTERMINATUS

EXTERMINATUS

Hmmmmmmm the elusive second ship theory.There are 17 official crew members aboard the prometheus and one unofficial guest.There is no second ship.Let the idea go.

Deuterium

Quote from: EXTERMINATUS on Apr 19, 2012, 07:35:20 AM
Hmmmmmmm the elusive second ship theory.There are 17 official crew members aboard the prometheus and one unofficial guest.There is no second ship.Let the idea go.

???

To what, or to whom are you directly responding to?

EXTERMINATUS

EXTERMINATUS

was reading through and someone mentioned a second ship again.There is no second ship.

szkoki

Who the hell is Shaw??? I think David is the main character.

Biomechanoid20

Biomechanoid20

Some David 8 bits and pieces I thought were cool:

- Dimensions
  Height    1.87 meters
  Weight    86 kg
  Size    David 8 wears Weyland Industries standard uniform (accepts model sizes 6-8)

- With a fluid intelligence on the order of 200 petaflops, David 8 exhibits twice the neural net capacity of humans.

- An advanced polyurethane coating replicates the biological properties of human skin to exact texture, pliability and tensile strength. With a cadmium alloy endoskeleton, David 8's frame can withstand over 1,000 pounds of compression force.

- The Weyland-stamped fingerprint lets you know that each David 8 cybernetic individual comes from The Company you know and trust.

- Multi-degree range of motion greater than human capacity
- 30x visual magnification with increased depth of field
- 700-lb lifting capacity
- Polymer-encased brain stem component
- Unlimited memory

- David 8 is fluent in all known languages through a dialectic implant and can infer the linguistic components of entirely new languages if encountered.

- Unlike previous models, David 8 can conduct all of his own maintenance procedures.

He's like a superhero compared to the rest of the crew.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed