Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,412 times)

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: SiL on May 11, 2010, 10:08:22 PM
It's just a shit movie. Poorly acted, poorly written, poorly directed. It deserves everything it gets.

Thisthisthis.

SM

SM

QuoteThere is some entertainment value to be had in this film; it's so bad, you can't help but laugh!

Eye strain induced headache ain't nothing to laugh about.  >:(

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Quote from: Anto of the Sand on May 11, 2010, 07:54:48 PM
Requiem is underrated and recieves highly undedserved hatred.
pffft haha

Quote from: Noir-Gojira on May 11, 2010, 08:34:38 PM
There's some sort of broken aesop here about complaining and getting what you want.

Haven't seen you around in a while.

Lost Predator

Lost Predator

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 11, 2010, 04:31:09 PM
Quote from: LeighD on May 11, 2010, 01:15:17 PM
Quote from: Dark Passenger on May 11, 2010, 11:40:36 AM
just watched the behind the scenes footage on AvP again and it basically reminded me why i disliked paul anderson in the first place, him saying he is the 1# hardcore fan is BS.

I agree that him calling himself the #1 hardcore fan is BS. However, I do think Anderson put more though and care into his film with aspects that paid homage to the first few of the series (read the AVP Trivia). They were homages but not so obvious (well most of them).

The Strause brothers I think just looked at the previous films and just took aspects of the each race, randomly inserted them without any real logic.

I agree Anderson put in more thought and effort, but at the end of the day, his film was still boring. Requiem didn't make much sense but it entertained me and that's what's important for me.

Actually, the more footage I find out was cut from AVP the more I think it would've been better with it included. Up until Lex joins Scar, everything makes sense for the most part. Its after that it seems to just hit the fan.

Requiem, while most of it was entertaining, I felt the movie was overall too dark (double meaning) and killed continuum. Plus a think a few scenes were just a bit over the top or just wasted spots. hell, 90% of the movie were wasted spots.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 11, 2010, 07:04:18 PM
What forced? They sure as shit didn't make the Brothers give their film a PG-13 rating, so I don't buy that.
AvP had a bigger budget and Fox may have feared a flop, so with a PG-13 the audience is extended on the young side.
AvPR had a lower budget and thus less risks to flop, so there was more "liberty" during production.

Quote from: LeighD on May 12, 2010, 10:47:35 AM
Actually, the more footage I find out was cut from AVP the more I think it would've been better with it included.
Can't agree more. The Movie is too short and we feel it at times, so extra scenes absolutely wouldn't hurt.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: LeighD on May 12, 2010, 10:47:35 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on May 11, 2010, 04:31:09 PM
Quote from: LeighD on May 11, 2010, 01:15:17 PM
Quote from: Dark Passenger on May 11, 2010, 11:40:36 AM
just watched the behind the scenes footage on AvP again and it basically reminded me why i disliked paul anderson in the first place, him saying he is the 1# hardcore fan is BS.

I agree that him calling himself the #1 hardcore fan is BS. However, I do think Anderson put more though and care into his film with aspects that paid homage to the first few of the series (read the AVP Trivia). They were homages but not so obvious (well most of them).

The Strause brothers I think just looked at the previous films and just took aspects of the each race, randomly inserted them without any real logic.

I agree Anderson put in more thought and effort, but at the end of the day, his film was still boring. Requiem didn't make much sense but it entertained me and that's what's important for me.

Actually, the more footage I find out was cut from AVP the more I think it would've been better with it included. Up until Lex joins Scar, everything makes sense for the most part. Its after that it seems to just hit the fan.

Requiem, while most of it was entertaining, I felt the movie was overall too dark (double meaning) and killed continuum. Plus a think a few scenes were just a bit over the top or just wasted spots. hell, 90% of the movie were wasted spots.

A lot coulda/shoulda been improved especially with the Director's Cut but I never had a problem with the film's darkness levels (w/e meaning you want). AvP was one big snore fest. All I remember was a black woman and an Italian man running up and down dark corridors, followed by just a black woman running up and down the same corridors, then all of a sudden becoming a Predator's love interest.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

The thing about AvPR, though, is that its fight scenes failed to deliver. AvP was certainly light on the Aliens-fighting-Predators front. And that's a pretty heavy kick to the nuts. But when the two did meet, that one fight was interesting and unpredictable. It used the environment and made both combatants seems capable and powerful. While the Predaboys were no doubt ridiculously f**king angsty over Grid get a last-second sneak kill over their deific pussybeast, the fight gave us a nicely balanced view of a hand-to-hand engagement while remaining entertaining.

And by that I mean that it was really good. If there were more fights in the first AvP film that had that level of unpredictability and suspense, we'd probably look back on it as a bit of a cult classic with acting and dialogue flaws.

AvPR, while providing even less on the characterisation, acting and plot fronts failed to be the superior action film.

Action scenes that boring and predictable must take effort to create. And I know they did. Because the Strausses were Predator fans. Let me explain that:

Predator has Arnie in it. It has a ridiculous action scene where everyone's hip-firing, one-liners are tossed around like infants in Nanking and Arnold actually tells someone to stick around after he impales them with a combat knife. This is not an issue. This, in fact, it a lot of fun, very entertaining and ends up supporting the plot.

But the Brothers wanted to make a Predator movie. They wanted to call on all those 80s action movie tropes and make something that was true to that style of film-making rather than actually think about the elements that made the Predator monster itself effective and relevant in those circumstances. This is a particularly major issue because that drags the Alien down. Borrowing more narrative and atmospheric elements from the Alien films is a much wiser choice because those films take the audience so seriously, and so invite the audience to take the film seriously.

The basic idea is that when the Brothers reference the kind of bronze-age heroism that 80s action was about, they do it through the Predator. They make Wolf a hero, like some sort of interspecies Arnold equivalent. And it doesn't work. Ironically enough, while Predator fans criticise AvP1 for making Scar a good guy, AvPR does this from the beginning, because that's the attitude that the Brothers went in with. They wanted the Predator to be the one the audience was rooting for.

And that sucks for everyone involved.

/rant end

That went on for way longer than intended.

Puks

Puks

Alex you are one of the few people who's wall-o-texts I bother to read.  :D

But still, next time, could you shorten it a little? For me? Hm?

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

<3 to you.  :D

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I hope that inspires the next five voters. 

Anto of the Sand

Anto of the Sand

Well, I already gave Alex my vote.
And here, I went for AvP.

Puks

Puks

There may be hope for you yet.

Anto of the Sand

Anto of the Sand

I disagree.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 12, 2010, 04:06:26 PM
The thing about AvPR, though, is that its fight scenes failed to deliver. AvP was certainly light on the Aliens-fighting-Predators front. And that's a pretty heavy kick to the nuts. But when the two did meet, that one fight was interesting and unpredictable. It used the environment and made both combatants seems capable and powerful. While the Predaboys were no doubt ridiculously f**king angsty over Grid get a last-second sneak kill over their deific pussybeast, the fight gave us a nicely balanced view of a hand-to-hand engagement while remaining entertaining.

And by that I mean that it was really good. If there were more fights in the first AvP film that had that level of unpredictability and suspense, we'd probably look back on it as a bit of a cult classic with acting and dialogue flaws.

AvPR, while providing even less on the characterisation, acting and plot fronts failed to be the superior action film.

Action scenes that boring and predictable must take effort to create. And I know they did. Because the Strausses were Predator fans. Let me explain that:

Predator has Arnie in it. It has a ridiculous action scene where everyone's hip-firing, one-liners are tossed around like infants in Nanking and Arnold actually tells someone to stick around after he impales them with a combat knife. This is not an issue. This, in fact, it a lot of fun, very entertaining and ends up supporting the plot.

But the Brothers wanted to make a Predator movie. They wanted to call on all those 80s action movie tropes and make something that was true to that style of film-making rather than actually think about the elements that made the Predator monster itself effective and relevant in those circumstances. This is a particularly major issue because that drags the Alien down. Borrowing more narrative and atmospheric elements from the Alien films is a much wiser choice because those films take the audience so seriously, and so invite the audience to take the film seriously.

The basic idea is that when the Brothers reference the kind of bronze-age heroism that 80s action was about, they do it through the Predator. They make Wolf a hero, like some sort of interspecies Arnold equivalent. And it doesn't work. Ironically enough, while Predator fans criticise AvP1 for making Scar a good guy, AvPR does this from the beginning, because that's the attitude that the Brothers went in with. They wanted the Predator to be the one the audience was rooting for.

And that sucks for everyone involved.

/rant end

That went on for way longer than intended.

I won't deny the Brothers are admitted Predator fans, but I will defend what they wanted to do with their film. I also blame the Pred-heavy focus on Davis rather than them because he's an even bigger Predator fan (hell, the man is practically a worshiper). Don't believe me? Listen to the commentary in the sewer fight scene.

Anderson himself is an-admitted Alien fan. I blame, what I perceive to be some slight Alien favouritism in AvP on him. I don't agree with the way the fight in AvP ended because it doesn't make sense to me, how Celtic couldn't realize his net wasn't going to hold the Alien forever since (I'm assuming anyway) he knows how the damn works in the first place, and that the Alien's blood is going to eventually break it.

AvP:R's fights were predictable, yes, but at least they were entertaining because there was more of them as opposed to AvP's one true fight, and one race at the end, with one or two minor squabbles in between them.

Don't even get me started on this hero bullshit. You want to talk about the Brothers making Wolf a hero? Anderson actually did make that mistake in his movie, and he did it to a much greater degree. Not only did he actually label Scar as a "handsome leading man" (WTF), he even went so far as to change the look of the creature by giving it puppy dog eyes and floppy mandibles to make it seem more lovable. He wanted to turn the Predator into a of heroic, chivalrous saviour which saves the damsel in distress. Which is pretty ironic, considering considering it's Lex who ends up saving Scar's ass on multiple occasions.

Puks

Puks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed