AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,428 times)

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Apr 02, 2008, 10:14:03 AM
Quote from: Corporal Harrison on Apr 02, 2008, 10:10:40 AM
and they had light filters thousands of years ago?

Risking to sound obvious here, but aren't they Predators, a species technologically far more advanced than us, with spaceships arriving on Earth thousands of years ago...?
::) ;D ;)

yep, this about sums it up...thanks yutanidutch.

Corporal Harrison

Corporal Harrison

Quote from: Silver Surfer on Apr 02, 2008, 10:16:38 AM

Risking to sound obvious here, but aren't they Predators, a species technologically far more advanced than us, with spaceships arriving on Earth thousands of years ago...?

the predator's taught the humans how to make pyramids, the predators didn't make the pyramids.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

'Anytime'... ;)

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: Corporal Harrison on Apr 02, 2008, 10:22:54 AM

the predator's taught the humans how to make pyramids, the predators didn't make the pyramids.

well, those other pyramids probably yeh, but this pyramid with and in-built power core and with a queen 'jail'', yeh sounds like the humans made this pyramid.

StealthHunter

StealthHunter

Quote from: War Wager on Apr 01, 2008, 06:55:35 PM
There was a lot of scenes like that ^ like when Celtic is charging at Grid.

There's several dropped flashlights scattered throughout the area, and Stafford has one attached to his vest aswell.

The lighting in the shot Dusk posted is definitely unnatural. But then again tons of movies that take place in settings like AVP's use exaggerated or unrealistic lighting. In this particular scene the lighting gives much more emphasis on the closing/shifting wall, and eventually the shot of Sabastian nearly being crushed. Had Anderson and his DP decided to go for something more naturalistic I think the scene would've lost alot of impact visually.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: StealthHunter on Apr 02, 2008, 10:50:09 AM
Quote from: War Wager on Apr 01, 2008, 06:55:35 PM
There was a lot of scenes like that ^ like when Celtic is charging at Grid.

There's several dropped flashlights scattered throughout the area, and Stafford has one attached to his vest aswell.

The lighting in the shot Dusk posted is definitely unnatural. But then again tons of movies that take place in settings like AVP's use exaggerated or unrealistic lighting. In this particular scene the lighting gives much more emphasis on the closing/shifting wall, and eventually the shot of Sabastian nearly being crushed. Had Anderson and his DP decided to go for something more naturalistic I think the scene would've lost alot of impact visually.

David Johnson, the AVP DOP, mentioned the difficulty of rendering the lighting on a dark setting like the pyramid one on the AVP Unrated Edition Disc 2... he stated that 'the darkness sells the scariness of a movie' and that it is always tricky lighting a scene with backlights and such in a setting like this and still make it dark enough so that the torches' use was believable and realistic...SO, lighting a dark setting is a tricky affair... Now, darkening shots on purpose with color-grading is another matter... hence why, in my op, AVP looked far better lit than AVPR... ;)

Dusk

Dusk

Quote from: Silver Surfer on Apr 02, 2008, 09:59:40 AM
The pyramid was heating up, so it could have been a light-filter.

Why would there be light-filters?

Here's another scene that irritated the crap out of me.

They are still 2000ft below the ice and it's even still night on the surface. So where does that bright light from above come from?

Cellien

Cellien

Same reason Aliens and Predators are fighting on Earth.. cause it's a sci-fi movie.  At least it actually looks good.  Other than that, there's no reason unless they are trying to get you to believe the pyramid has "come to life", which would be something done with artistic license.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

The only reason I can think of the pyramid reconfiguring was to keep the hunt going. Would've helped if that was explained in the film.

LukaKovach

LukaKovach

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 02, 2008, 03:33:37 PM
The only reason I can think of the pyramid reconfiguring was to keep the hunt going. Would've helped if that was explained in the film.

Don't you think they explained a little too much in AvP?

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: LukaKovach on Apr 03, 2008, 08:23:03 AM

hah, we know what happens when they show to little {cough} avp-r {cough}...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Hardly. Half the stuff in the film didn't make sense until the deleted scenes were released.

Craig

Craig

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 03, 2008, 12:12:33 PM

Hardly. Half the stuff in the film didn't make sense until the deleted scenes were released.
Like?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Craig on Apr 03, 2008, 12:33:22 PM

Like?

Namely why the Predators split up and why the pyramid kept re-configuring itself.

Craig

Craig

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 03, 2008, 02:13:31 PM
Quote from: Craig on Apr 03, 2008, 12:33:22 PM

Like?

Namely why the Predators split up and why the pyramid kept re-configuring itself.
Wasn't it pretty obvious why the Predators split up when you see through the vision mode focusing directly on the gun in the bag? Unless you're referring to something else.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed