Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,447 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Especially considering that the tail is just a freaking goof. Just like the Queen in Aliens had four or three fingers in her inner hands depending if you looked at the small scale animatronic or at the full scale one.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Goof? Seemed rather intentional considering the length never changed.

SiL

SiL

Yes it did. The tail was never that long again in the movie.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Never noticed.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: SM on Feb 11, 2011, 03:47:15 AM
You wanna talk about Aliens with no skillzorz - talk about Ailens that walk onto spears then forget they have arms and legs.

Nah, I was talking about Predators with no skills...
The Aliens in AVP came across very lethal to me and I can't see Anytime or Pussyface in any of the predators in AVP.
My opinion is just that AVP favored Aliens over Predators and they made the Predators look lesser by being incompetent,
With AVP:R it was the other way around, the Predator was favored over the Aliens, but not because his natural skills but because the Aliens lacked their natural skills.
These days I prefer AVP over AVP:R mostly because I feel like AVP was better done, it's nicer on the eyes.
And AVP didn't piss all over the Predators as much as AVP:R did with the Aliens, Andersson was more gentle when he raped the creature.

SM

SM

AvP at least had a reason for Predators with lesser skills - it was an initiation; they weren't seasoned hunters.

Which should've set off alarm bells somewhere - does an audience want to see Predators that aren't as good hunters as the ones in previous flicks?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I dunno, doesn't sound bad to me. But when the Preds are just flat-out stupid, that's a different story.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: SM on Feb 13, 2011, 10:18:24 PM
AvP at least had a reason for Predators with lesser skills - it was an initiation; they weren't seasoned hunters.

True. But even if they weren't seasoned hunters they needed to be more deadly, the movie started out good when they took out the guards above the pyramid...
...when they got inside the pyramid then it all changed, gird and celtic died way to fast.
Pussyface was made to be a younger predator and he seemed so much more talented than the 3 that entered the pyramid.

QuoteWhich should've set off alarm bells somewhere - does an audience want to see Predators that aren't as good hunters as the ones in previous flicks?

Why not, just because they weren't as good as the previous ones doesn't mean that they they need to die that fast.
In Aliens the aliens was introduced to the turret, they are smart and did something to avoid being gunned down by it,
now if these aliens would face a turret again they would know what to do right from the start...This means that an Alien starts out dangerous and becomes even more dangerous if it able to overcome the problems that may occure while it's on a "mission".
Why should a Predator be any lesser, in AVP they started out deadly then they just lost it as soon they entered the pyramid.
I would have liked to see them put up more of a fight, get hurt, retreat, attack again, kill an Alien then get killed by a second one, cause I understand that 3 Predators went in but only one would stay alive to the end and then he'll die too.
I just would have liked the fights to be more even...

The difference betveen a Andersons teen-pred, a young hunter and a sesoned hunter if they were to be attacked by an alien, Would be something like this:

Andersons teen-pred would walk inside the room in a pyramid used to "give birth" to aliens without being alert, because of that he'll get killed quick, his clan mate would see it happen and leave his spear behind and charge the alien, tackle it and try to fight it on the ground...

A lone young predator would grab his spear and throw it, killing the alien only to be attacked by the second one while he was unarmed and meet his doom while he was trying to get it off him.

The sesoned hunter or a predator that would/could survive the rite of passage would impale the first alien as it jumped at him, he would then throw it to the side, still holding on to his spear so he could counter the attack from a second one the same way...
He wouldn't let go off his most important weapon, even if he had a plasma caster...that close it would do more damage than good.

All I'm saying is that AVP favored the Aliens and AVP:R favored the Predator.
But AVP:R was worse on both creatures and it went really hard on the Alien, I totaly understand if an Alien fan can't stand to see that movie. And it wasn't a misstake from the directors, they even giggled on how the Alien fans would react on the sewer scene.
I think that Anderson tried to give the " Predator" the respect it deserves, but he didn't really "feel" the creature,
maybe he was more into the Aliens.
I can't say that about the brothers, they did this movie only because the creatures are "cool",
what makes the creatures "cool",
Well, they didn't have a clue and didn't care to find out.
I like how Wolf looks and it's the only positive thing I can say about the movie.

SM

SM

QuoteWhy should a Predator be any lesser, in AVP they started out deadly then they just lost it as soon they entered the pyramid.

I'd hardly call toasting a bunch of drillers while invisible, in the dark, who never knew what hit them as "deadly" in any sort of fair sense.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: SM on Feb 14, 2011, 01:20:20 AM
QuoteWhy should a Predator be any lesser, in AVP they started out deadly then they just lost it as soon they entered the pyramid.

I'd hardly call toasting a bunch of drillers while invisible, in the dark, who never knew what hit them as "deadly" in any sort of fair sense.

But that's how they "Hunt", it's been shown in previous movies...
The prey is often unaware that it's being hunted and whan it finds out it's often to late, It's fair to say that it makes them deadly.
And some of these "drillers" were armed, I think they were Waylands security or paid soldiers.
When they found out that something was wrong then it was already to late, they didn't have time to react in the confusion.

In Aliens when the marines first encounters the Aliens the scene is played out pretty much the same way, Ripley told them about the Alien she encountered, she tried to convince them on how deadly it was, still they didn't know what the f**k hit'em and when they did, it was already too late.
That scene alone in Aliens talks about how deadly the Alien is...
Even if it hid within the walls, takeing the marines who didn't see it, not off guard but by surprise.
It's not only the claws, tail and acid blood that makes the alien dangerous, it's how it works to take you down.
It's the same with the Predator.

SM

SM

The point you seem to be making, however is that they seem deadly when they're up against a bunch of noobs, but then don't seem deadly against a bunch of Aliens - as if it's inconsistent.  Which it isn't.

bleau

bleau

Quote from: SM on Feb 13, 2011, 10:18:24 PM

Which should've set off alarm bells somewhere - does an audience want to see Predators that aren't as good hunters as the ones in previous flicks?

I know these were not experienced Predators, but if the predators see the Aliens as the most dangerous game, then why would they have inexperienced teenagers go unarmed to hunt Aliens? I think that is so dumb. Should be the other way around.

SM

SM

Because killing an Alien is some rite of passage - why would experienced Predators be doing a rite of passage?

The experienced ones sit on the ship and go "f**k that noise!"

And then let an Alien on board...

Milan

Milan

Quote from: SM on Feb 14, 2011, 02:27:57 AM
The point you seem to be making, however is that they seem deadly when they're up against a bunch of noobs, but then don't seem deadly against a bunch of Aliens - as if it's inconsistent.  Which it isn't.

No, I think you are missing the whole picture with my point.

Maybe you seen Anderson silvas latest fights (UFC)?
Well, some time ago he met a wrestler and he was losing the fight, right untill the final round when he got the guy in a submission and he tapped.
Now, If you skip the first rounds and watch the fight from it's final round when it goes to the ground and he gets his submission win, it would look like that the wrestler didn't preform well at all, he took his opponent to the ground and there he was submitted, the fight ended faster than it should, that's how I feel when I'm watching AVP, their kills feel rushed and it's like you are watching a different creature...something is missing,
Maybe the part where the guy showed the world that A.Silva can be taken down to the ground and get beaten for 4 rounds.

Chopper and Celtic died to fast once they entered the pyramid...we missed out on their 4 rounds before they lost to the alien..
And one big point is that the Predators knew what they were faceing, they came from a clan that have hunted the aliens in this pyramid and others like it once every 100 years for 1000's of years.
They must have known how the alien works, how to kill it and how to not being killed by it cause there have been Predators before them who have done it plenty of times and even before that they helped the humans build these pyramids with an Alien queen planted inside them. Them winning is the plan.
It's a rite of passage, it's from there they become Hunters like Anytime and Pussyface.
Becomeing a hunter is the goal.
And they don't enter the pyramid like Lex or the rest of the group, not knowing what's waiting for them inside.

SM

SM

I know all about Aliens - doesn't mean I could kill one in close combat.

The Predators knowing what they're up against clearly means nothing.  Especially when robbed of their long range energy weapons.

But on the other hand, for what was supposed to be an action film it woulda been nice if there was a much more versing - which woulda meant the Predators living longer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed