What do you think of being able to "hide" from the Alien?

Started by Jegeren, Apr 25, 2014, 12:47:18 AM

Author
What do you think of being able to "hide" from the Alien? (Read 24,402 times)

SizzyBubbles

I like the idea of hiding from the alien. Better then running around and blasting them apart like in every freaking alien and avp game.

Cal427eb

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on May 03, 2014, 06:17:03 PM
Alien, ALIENs, ALIEN3, ALIEN: res

Nope, seems like everything that matters uses "Alien" not "Aliens" it's the Alien franchise, not the Aliens franchise.
all of my wuts

NickisSmart

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 03, 2014, 06:48:59 PM
Discrediting and ignoring are two different things.  They might not make any mention of Aliens, but that doesn't mean they will discredit the sequels.  It would be foolish to do so. 

If that's your bet then you are on.

If just ignoring the sequel so they can replicate the first movie is your bet then your not on.........because that is what they are trying to do.

May the best man win.

Kimarhi

Alien is my favorite movie in the franchise.  I just don't believe they will discredit any of the remaining movie sequels.  Because I'd love to get rid of Resurrection.  I just don't believe you can.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Sure you can. It just depends on how bold they're feeling. Cameron took the series and changed it; CA can do the same thing in reverse. It doesn't mean people will like it or accept the game, but I'm not entirely sure CA cares about public opinion, because if they did, they'd just give the Aliens fans the game that they want. Instead, they're making the game that they want to play from the movie that they love, arguably more than Aliens because otherwise they'd be making an Aliens game, wouldn't they?

Kimarhi

Making an Alien game and discrediting other iterations of the franchise are two separate things.  I'd like to see them make an Alien 3 game.  That doesn't mean they have to wipe out any of the extended lore of the franchise if they did. 

SM

Amanda Ripley = Aliens not discredited.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 03, 2014, 09:12:39 PM
Making an Alien game and discrediting other iterations of the franchise are two separate things.  I'd like to see them make an Alien 3 game.  That doesn't mean they have to wipe out any of the extended lore of the franchise if they did.

But they can if they want to and personally I wouldn't mind, because I never much cared for Cameron's ideas.

@SM: I don't suppose you'd be the sort of person to entertain the possibility that CA would use Amanda from Aliens, but not the idea of the insect-like society, would you? On that note, where did they get the idea for Amanda? Can anyone confirm she was of Cameron's design, because if they pulled her out of the Alien character dossiers then her character has less to do with Aliens and more with the first film. The writers could chose to ignore the events in Aliens altogether if that were the case.

Also, Amanda's existence in this game has nothing to do with Aliens because Amanda was dead when Aliens took place. I'd probably agree with you otherwise but she wasn't in the film and wasn't connected to anything that happened in it. She died before Ripley was found.

SM

This game is set in a universe of four Alien films.  Not just the first one.

Xhan

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 03, 2014, 05:01:58 PM
They aren't going to discount the other films though.  You don't just discredit the most popular film in the franchise even if it isn't your favorite. 

Cameron didn't discredit anything in Alien, he just didn't use what wasn't shown.

Cameron discredited plenty, he took the things he liked and omitted the things he didn't. I doubt there was any maniacal laughter (in public) or crashing thunder, but the roadmap was definitely altered thereafter. He had a very distinct view of what the Alien could and could not do, portrayed that pretty accurately concept to finished product.

The Queen and everything she represents is incontrovertibly taking the "insectoid" and turning it into literal "insect" by liberally smashing the viewer about the head and face screaming SPACE ANT MOTHERf**kER DO YOU SPEAK IT at the top of one's lungs while making Heinlein wait in a soundproof room so one doesn't have their ass sued off. He tacitly admitted ripping off ST after Hurd outed him publicly on it.

Quotesingle

CA's license covers properties and likenesses from and for the entire Alien series, period, end of, full stop, 200 dollars.

NickisSmart

@SM: If you're going to use that logic, you need say five and include Prometheus. The thing is, I don't agree with you. This project revolves around Alien, first and foremost. The acknowledgement of anything that occurs after Alien is not a requirement of the developers. God is not going to smite them down if they ignore Aliens, Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection, Prometheus, or the AvP films. There's also the novelizations and spin-off games. CA doesn't have to acknowledge those if they don't want to, so what cosmic force is binding them to kneel to Cameron's ideas concerning the beast? None. They can do what they want, and in this case, they can use Amanda and not have to pay homage to Aliens if they don't want to. One of the joys of being a developer is you can do what you want, kind of what like Cameron did when he made Aliens.

Now, you could make the argument that FOX is going to force CA not to discredit Aliens, but so far I haven't heard you say that...

SM

Sorry, yes.  You're correct.  The universe it's set in does include Prometheus.  Even if Alien3, Resurrection and Prometheus are never referenced.

NickisSmart

@Xhan: I seem to recall Starship Troopers being required reading by the entire cast in Aliens. Beihn didn't read it because he was a re-cast who came in to replace the original actor.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Xhan on May 03, 2014, 10:36:03 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on May 03, 2014, 05:01:58 PM
They aren't going to discount the other films though.  You don't just discredit the most popular film in the franchise even if it isn't your favorite. 

Cameron didn't discredit anything in Alien, he just didn't use what wasn't shown.

Cameron discredited plenty, he took the things he liked and omitted the things he didn't. I doubt there was any maniacal laughter (in public) or crashing thunder, but the roadmap was definitely altered thereafter. He had a very distinct view of what the Alien could and could not do, portrayed that pretty accurately concept to finished product.

The Queen and everything she represents is incontrovertibly taking the "insectoid" and turning it into literal "insect" by liberally smashing the viewer about the head and face screaming SPACE ANT MOTHERf**kER DO YOU SPEAK IT at the top of one's lungs while making Heinlein wait in a soundproof room so one doesn't have their ass sued off. He tacitly admitted ripping off ST after Hurd outed him publicly on it.

Quotesingle

CA's license covers properties and likenesses from and for the entire Alien series, period, end of, full stop, 200 dollars.

I don't know that was his intention to discredit the original movie or just his take on the franchise.  Ridley left the lifecycle open when he chose not to show the egg morphing.  Had he not done that and then Cameron came in with the queen anyways I would feel differently. 

QuoteSPACE ANT MOTHERf**kER DO YOU SPEAK IT

However, this quote is brilliant. 

;D

Xhan

I'm not saying he actively disparaged any particular motif, but he altered the path significantly and he literally transferred the power of the single Alien into an oversized version with a voodoo headress, which is a negative turn on the creature itself. 

It removed any lovecraftian and otherworldly creepy motifs and relegated the Alien to "machine in the service of", and I don't think that can really be argued against, given that there's almost thirty years of SCREEE *blam* that followed after.

As good as Aliens is, it neutered the Alien as a force or vector.

Look at the game we have.

"We're gonna make the Alien scary again"

Yeah they made the Alien scary again by removing the ability to wield a counterthreat and deliberately gimping any means of doing so.

Aliens chopped his nards off, and now he's fat and lazy and licks himself all day, and the only reason he's scary in this slice of circumstance is that the player is cast in the role of quadraplegic 7 year old who's allergic to cats and is locked in a house where every room is connected to another room by stairs, and conveniently happens to be locked in said house with an antisocial bengal of Unusually Robust Size and Temperament.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed